News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

Re: OFFICIAL SIGNUP - 2021 Midwest Mashie - Harvester GC
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2020, 03:31:21 PM »
Wait list me, I suppose.  Fell asleep at the wheel on sign ups.  That sucks.

I believe there should be a points system for this event that rewards prior year participation and GCA donations rather than not being particularly busy the day its announced. While I am giving unsolicited advice I also petition for the Singles matches to be 9 holes each rather than 18. We will look for white smoke from Rome.

Ha sorry,  though
We did announce when we were announcing the day we were announcing the time and day of the post.  LOL!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2020, 05:07:31 PM »

I believe there should be a points system for this event that rewards prior year participation and GCA donations rather than not being particularly busy the day its announced. While I am giving unsolicited advice I also petition for the Singles matches to be 9 holes each rather than 18. We will look for white smoke from Rome.

Ha sorry,  though
We did announce when we were announcing the day we were announcing the time and day of the post.  LOL!

I guess I was also busy when you announced you were announcing the announcement
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jay Mickle

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
Add Jay Mickle to list

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

ward peyronnin

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
IN
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Carl Rogers

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »
I look at the web site every day and was out clicked.
Perhaps another event in Michigan?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »

I believe the problem was that Forest Dunes was already sold out for September weekends in 2021.  [Not a problem for Harvester!  ;) ]

Hopefully we will get things sorted for 2022.  But it's starting to look as though I'll be so busy in 2022 that I can only hope to make a brief appearance.

SL_Solow

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
Add me as well

Andy Ryall

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
Please add me as well from the Twin Cities treehouse.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »

I paid attention to point 5 in the sign-up page and noticed that my entry was followed by a = sign, perhaps an errant keystroke, or maybe something else of significance.  As probably light on the first criteria in the suggested point system (1 MM appearance) and probably in the middle of the pack on the second, I am ok with my spot being awarded to a more worthy candidate.  In all likelihood, by the time the event nears, it will be mostly moot- we have the same issue with tee times at my home course, the tee sheet fills up quickly, but there are always times available for the walkups.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2020, 12:08:47 AM »

I paid attention to point 5 in the sign-up page and noticed that my entry was followed by a = sign, perhaps an errant keystroke, or maybe something else of significance.  As probably light on the first criteria in the suggested point system (1 MM appearance) and probably in the middle of the pack on the second, I am ok with my spot being awarded to a more worthy candidate.  In all likelihood, by the time the event nears, it will be mostly moot- we have the same issue with tee times at my home course, the tee sheet fills up quickly, but there are always times available for the walkups.

I was 16th on the waiting list for Prairie Dunes and got in, so no big deal.  That assumes that I won't be one of the ones that has to drop.  And PD is a more "must do" destination that Harvester, as good as Harvester appears to be, so there's plenty of hope for me and others similarly situated.  Theoretically I do like Buck's points based approach, but that's a lot to ask of the organizers to track all of that . 

V_Halyard

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2020, 06:40:08 AM »

I believe the problem was that Forest Dunes was already sold out for September weekends in 2021.  [Not a problem for Harvester!  ;) ]

Hopefully we will get things sorted for 2022.  But it's starting to look as though I'll be so busy in 2022 that I can only hope to make a brief appearance.
Yep.
Fascinating shortage of venues for an outing like this.
Btw Already working with Kevin on it.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2020, 06:43:46 AM »

Lol.
You’re doing a quarantine overthink.
“=“ is Just a thumb print

As for a points system, that’s batshitcrazy math talk.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:54:12 AM by V_Halyard »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »
V.,

I've heard of chemo brain.  Now we have quarantine overthink and thumb prints.  The landscape is always changing.

As to the points system, Buck's suggestion did remind me of past discussions within the Buda crowd.  At one time, consideration was given to finding a way to get new GCAers involved.  Of course, we've had a hard time getting Captains to volunteer, a much lesser responsibility than having to organize and run the event itself.

All I am saying is that while it is easier to set the field on a first-come, first-served basis, there is some merit to considering other ways of completing the roster.  Going the opposite direction from Buck, getting some new blood, especially from within the region, might make a lot of sense.  I understand that the Twin Cities guys have built a cohesive group of GCAers (I thoroughly enjoyed the MM they hosted), which I am sure fosters the appreciation (as not to use the word "study" loosely) of golf architecture which is lacking at most clubs I've known.

What a better way to put a toe in the water than to sign up for a GCA affiliated event?  Many of us (and our families- "you're going to do what, fly across the country to play golf for four or five days with 20-30 guys you met on the internet?") were apprehensive back in 2002 when the first King Putter was organized.  Over 18 years later, any number of guys in that event still stay in touch and play golf together on occasion. 

Am I making any sense, or do I need to go out and get some fresh air?

Thanks for all you're doing.   

Buck Wolter

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »

Lol.
You’re doing a quarantine overthink.
“=“ is Just a thumb print

As for a points system, that’s batshitcrazy math talk.

How about an easy one -- you have to be have a current GCA donation to get an early spot -- no math involved. I volunteer to check versus the contributions page.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

V_Halyard

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
OK folks let's review.
Trying to locate a venue that will block tee times for two days for a large group of strangers hoping for some rate consideration is an arduous task to begin with. In this pandemic climate we are finding that resorts are running at 110% capacity with waitlists. Top 100, no, make that Top 1000 courses are restricting outside play, their membership, ownership, and some municipalities are understandably cautious. Tee sheets are booked from dusk to dawn. This has taken hours from days that frankly do not exist. Lawsonia rescued 2020. Some Muny's don't even answer their phone anymore and send you to the web.
Securing confirmation for this in 2021 was a "situation".  We're already working on 2022.

Additionally, we joked about it, but in all seriousness, for the first time, we went to extra lengths to make sure people were aware of our developments.
1- We announced the venue and summary of the events.
2- We then announced the schedule/date/time when we were planning to post the sign up list so people, if they were interested, could plan to sign up.
3- We posted the list at that time
4- People signed up

We have one criteria, you need to be registered with GCA and that is the only prerequisite.
Getting these things organized are a labor of love. This year was a bit of a grind.
We are not a for profit travel planning event agency and tend to get these arranged via relationships and GCA Member volunteer efforts " for the good of the architecture"... and our collective amusement.

It would be a great development for the good of golf if the current COVID fueled golf boom sticks, and rounds continue to outstrip capacity. Tee times at prime locations private and public will likely remain tight thru 2021.
Our ad-hoc system is not perfect but it is magnanimous. Mashie cancellations and drop outs have historically run 25%-30% and a good number of waitlist folks have gotten into the events.
We have used our club memberships, resort management, architect and other relationships to get these set up.
Many times, these go on personal accounts at the clubs, or as the case last year with Forest Dunes, it was necessary to secure fast depleting prime time fall tee sheet and room availability with a personal credit card, then request deposits from GCAers, then ultimately send individual refunds when the pandemic forced a cancellation. (Its all electronic this year. no checks)
With that in mind, we have not considered the addition of point systems, tracking donor participation tallies and the like. If our 2021 event yields 100% of people confirmed with little movement off of the wait list, we will have reached a tipping point and can look at adjustments.

No system is perfect. Historically, the volunteer hosts have spent time managing the cancellations, waitlist notifications, refunds and adjusting slots with venues, so I would pose that if that amount of time is diminished by full attendance, we can dedicate those hours to a points management system.  For now? No
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:50:55 AM by V_Halyard »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
I don't doubt all of this is a big challenge.
Suggestion:
Schedule future GCA events at the beginning or the middle of the week.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

V_Halyard

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
I don't doubt all of this is a big challenge.
Suggestion:
Schedule future GCA events at the beginning or the middle of the week.
That is a consideration though we have been blessed with weekends. 
Time will tell as weekend availability is increasingly scarce and Monday Tuesday may become the target in 2022.
With tee sheets jammed, the day of the week at the locations we would find attractive has become immaterial.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:55:21 AM by V_Halyard »

V_Halyard

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »

We joked about it, but in all seriousness, for the first time, we went to extra lengths to make sure people were aware of our developments. 1- We announced the venue and summary of the events.
2- We then announced the schedule/date/time when we were planning to post the sign up list so people, if they were interested, could plan to sign up.
4- People signed up

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:48:22 PM by V_Halyard »

Erik Mosley

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »
We joked about it, but in all seriousness, for the first time, we went to extra lengths to make sure people were aware of our developments. 1- We announced the venue and summary of the events.
4- People signed up

Vaughn - this was much appreciated!  Set a quick calendar reminder and was all set.  Always amazed how much the committee puts into this thing to make it an incredible event - thanks for all your hard work!

PCCraig

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
Thanks Vaughn - your hard work on these events, in particular 2020, has not gone unnoticed.

As I can tell folks from experience, running these events is a lot of work and is truly a labor of love. It's incredible that the Mashie has morphed into an event that it is fully subscribed in a day and people are willing to travel to the literal middle of nowhere Iowa  ;)  , but with that comes some limitations.

Also, there is almost always significant turnover on the waitlist so hold tight...  :)
H.P.S.

JLahrman

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »

What a better way to put a toe in the water than to sign up for a GCA affiliated event?  Many of us (and our families- "you're going to do what, fly across the country to play golf for four or five days with 20-30 guys you met on the internet?") were apprehensive back in 2002 when the first King Putter was organized.  Over 18 years later, any number of guys in that event still stay in touch and play golf together on occasion.

I agree Lou. I went to the 2011 KP at Bandon having never met any of the other participants before the event. And I'm not really a big event sort of guy. But I had a great time, and met quite a few GCA guys who I'm still in touch with. Lou, not sure if you remember but I played against you in the first round at Old Mac. I played the first five holes well, then smashed a great drive on #6, after which you asked me to remind you what handicap I was playing off of. I told you to wait because the bad stuff would surely be coming (and it was).

As a native Midwesterner (now living in Texas) I would love to attend one of the Mashies, evidenced by the fact that I read the Mashie thread every year even though I'm not going to sign up. I've only met a couple of Midwestern guys. Still unhappy that I missed the signup for the Prairie Dunes edition as it's reasonably close to Austin. My goal of attending a Mashie is somewhat compromised by the fact that I barely play golf anymore. But if I can ever make it happen I'd hate to get bumped by some points system based on prior attendance.

And organizing even much smaller events than this is a tiresome thankless job, hope y'all appreciate the leg work that the organizer is doing.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »

4- People signed up

I don't want to seem like I'm not grateful for the work you guys do to put these together.  I know it's a lot of work and its much appreciated.  My failure to sign up in time is my own fault.  I don't see myself playing a lot of golf next year, if any, so hopefully there's enough movement, but that's on me.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »

I was 16th on the waiting list for Prairie Dunes and got in, so no big deal.  That assumes that I won't be one of the ones that has to drop.  And PD is a more "must do" destination that Harvester, as good as Harvester appears to be, so there's plenty of hope for me and others similarly situated.  Theoretically I do like Buck's points based approach, but that's a lot to ask of the organizers to track all of that .

I think at the time of the final deposit requests for Prairie Dunes there were only about 5 people who didn't get in, and the waitlist was like 30 deep at one point

Lou_Duran

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »

I agree Lou. I went to the 2011 KP at Bandon having never met any of the other participants before the event. And I'm not really a big event sort of guy. But I had a great time, and met quite a few GCA guys who I'm still in touch with. Lou, not sure if you remember but I played against you in the first round at Old Mac. I played the first five holes well, then smashed a great drive on #6, after which you asked me to remind you what handicap I was playing off of. I told you to wait because the bad stuff would surely be coming (and it was).

I do remember.  You had the indomitable Canadian veteran as your partner (Bryan Izatt).  My ringer, Bob Hamilton, just happened to ham and egg it with me better than yours on that day.  I am used to giving strokes to young, fit guys who smoke it by me.  But I can't remember ever remarking on handicaps.  Especially in the UK, I just assume that I am going to get fleeced.  I do remember you had game and it is a shame that you're playing sparingly.  I also remember liking Old Mac a lot.  Austin has some nice private clubs, but the public scene is light in comparison to DFW and Houston, IMO.  But migrating from SF, the adaptation was probably much easier.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
My wife just asked if she should get me another Forest Dunes gift card for the 2021 trip? LOL

I’m always up for some driving, but...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back