News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Perches

I will be flying into Omaha relatively late Friday evening and driving to Rhodes.I should arrive around 11pm in Rhodes.
My flight back from Omaha is Monday evening around 8pm.I've never played anywhere in the midwest before this trip.
Does anyone have a suggestion where to play Monday?

Dave Duevel

I will be flying into Omaha relatively late Friday evening and driving to Rhodes.I should arrive around 11pm in Rhodes.
My flight back from Omaha is Monday evening around 8pm.I've never played anywhere in the midwest before this trip.

If you play early in Des Moines, Wakonda is a fun, albeit difficult course. Could afford to lose a couple dozen trees but overall a cool place. For public, Waveland is a pretty unique muni.

If you're trying to play in Omaha, Omaha CC is by far the best private course. Indian Creek is probably the best public option and the home to a Korn Ferry event.

And if you don't have enough time to play anywhere, drive out to Elkhorn/Gretna and see the new private course (Lost Rail) being built. It's about 30 minutes from the airport.

John_Cullum

You're in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. You really should avail yourself of the opportunity to at least somewhat see what NE golf is all about. After play on Sunday, drive 5 hours to Kearney NE and play Awarii Dunes on Monday. You'll probably be the only person there on Monday morning. Play all day and then head back to Omaha.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Thurman

If anyone is interested in playing Thursday beforehand, I'll be in the general area a few days early. Leaning toward a return to Waveland in Des Moines, or heading toward Davenport and hitting TPC Deere Run. Open to other ideas...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Lou_Duran

I haven't been able to reach Vaughn over the past week.  Is there a deposit due?  If so, where do I find the details?

Re: housing at the Harvester.  Does anyone have a list of who's staying on property and whether I am on it?

Pete_Pittock

This may seem corny, but Field of Dreams is less than 2 to 2 1/2 hours away and two 9 holers nearby - Rolling Knolls and Dyersville G&CC
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:56:00 PM by Pete_Pittock »

astavrides

tore my bicep tendon very recently and got surgery today. so sadly, i have to withdraw. thanks to the organizers for their efforts[size=78%].[/size]

-Alex

V_Halyard

Day job has imposed its will on the Mashie planning.

Attendees Watch for direct emails regarding both rooming and the Friday 36 at Davenport and Cedar Rapids

-V
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jason Thurman

Re: UPDATE 06 SEPT - 2021 Midwest Mashie - Harvester GC
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2021, 01:37:23 AM »
All,

As we plan matches for the event, a few notes.

• The white tees at Harvester rate 72.9/140 and play to a par of 72 at around 6400 yards. I plan to handicap most matches from these tees.
  • The blues rate 74.4/143 (par 72) and roughly 6800 yards. I plan to handicap matches for the guys who have historically preferred to play from further back from the blues (looking at you, Calcutt, Salmen, Hill, Modern-club Flory). I'm also assuming that guys like Marvin, Seitz, or Treitler (?) would be game to move back to that yardage if need be, but also that you'd just as soon play the whites.
  • Note that there is also a black set, at 76.8/148 and around 7350, best I can tell. All this is shared with the caveat that Harvester does not have a scorecard published on their website, so yardages could be slightly off but ratings/slopes are official.
If anyone would prefer to play from a different set of tees than what I'm slating, let me know either here, via PM, or via e-mail. If my plans sound right to you, no need to respond.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John McCarthy

« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
Jason:

You have played with me.  Keep me at the tighty whities.  140 is a lot of golf course for me.

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PCCraig

« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2021, 09:44:01 PM »
Really bummed to be missing the Mashie this year. Have a great time gents!! Here's to seeing everyone next year!
H.P.S.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
Big thanks to GCAer David Duevel for sending over a copy of the Harvester scorecard. It's longer than I realized, so I want to update yardages in my previous post.

Blacks: 7463 yds, 76.8/148
Blues: 6959, 74.4/143
Whites: 6612, 72.9/140
Greens: 6175, 70.7/137

I'll still handicap most matches from the whites by default, as indicated in the previous post. But sharing the updated yardages in case they make anyone want to scoot up to the greens (or make anyone want to tip it out). Let me know here/via PM/via email. Goal is always to have guys play the tees they prefer.

Do note that Ran's profile suggests Harvester plays very fast and firm generally, so it may not play quite as long as listed.

George Freeman

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2021, 10:30:02 PM »
6,175 with a 137 slope is as much golf course as I could ever need...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Charles Lund

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2021, 11:27:42 PM »
Please sign me up for the green tees. 

Charles Lund

Billsteele

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
Green tee guy here also.

Jason Topp

« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
Jason - for your purposes put me down for white.  I can use the calculator if my group is playing green. 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2021, 03:39:23 PM »
Green for me. Thanks.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

C. Sturges

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »
It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I regrettably have to pull out.

Thank you for everyone’s hard work setting up what is I am sure going to be a marvelous Mashie.

I hope everyone a wonderful time and safe travels.

chris

Jason Topp

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »
I dug this up from the archives - thought it would be appropriate as the group prepares to play the difficult 9th hole at the Harvester:

Think Edmund Fitzgerald:

A dark day in May
When Jon went away
to do battle with the forces of evil

Everything was fine
til he got to nine
then the winds of November blew early

A chunk in the ground,
a plop in the soup
The first rumbling sounds of anger

A helicopter sound
rushed out to the sea
A titanium driver caused danger

Despite his fate,
Jon soldiered on
But his friends knew what to do

"Sir if you please
My club caught a breeze
Do you by chance have a canoe?"

Lest you think
this is a tale full of woe
I beg you sir take note

The Harvester it seems
swallows men's dreams
but thank god . . .titanium floats.

This was in honor of a friend who lost it on number 9 with a lake left and decided to throw his driver.  He thought better of it half way through the throw, but in stopping managed to launch it at a 90 degree angle 100 feet straight out into the lake.  It floated to shore by the end of the round.  I didn't know that drivers floated.

In order to "help him out" I did request a canoe at the turn.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:12:35 AM by Jason Topp »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2021, 03:04:48 PM »
I'll play whatever. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2021, 04:16:54 PM »
As a few people have asked, just a note that I've confirmed with The Harvester that they'll have the kitchen open until 9p Friday evening.

Topp isn't wrong about 9 at Harvester being a real beast. It's been almost 10 years since I last played it though, and the only shot I really remember hitting on it was one of those 60 yard bunker shots where I played an explosion with an 8 iron and I actually kinda pulled it off. #GoodVibes

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2021, 08:27:51 AM »
All, I received a few emails last night about Sat AM and Sun PM "bonus" rounds, and I have you accounted for. If you haven't already replied directly to me, please do so, even if you contacted Vaughn earlier.

I'll be giving the club numbers today and Thursday, as I have them. Would like to get that locked down by Thursday, as I won't be very accessible Friday.

Even if you're a maybe, let me know if you haven't already.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »
Criss -
Green tees for me.
I’ll play an afternoon round on Sunday.
Thanks -

Jason Thurman

« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2021, 11:51:42 PM »
Ok people, it's time for some announcements.

First, the 2021 rosters:

Team East

Criss Titschinger
Jason Thurman
Jake Marvin
Bill Steele
Michael Wolf
Andrew Calcutt
Mike Treitler
Peter Flory
Joe Melchiors
John Mayhugh
Jay Mickle
Lou Duran
Mark Studer
Joe Perches
Josh Woodward

Team West

Vaughn Halyard
Jeff Shelman
George Freeman
John McCarthy
Charles Lund
Steve Salmen
Frank Sekulic
Morgan Clawson
Bill Seitz
Steve Greif
Brad Hill
Jason Topp
Dan Moore
James Rector
Buck Wolter

Pairings and Matches for Saturday
Fourball matches, with the exception of the Greif/Perches leadoff singles match
Handicap stroke allocations listed to right of each player's name
Tees on which match handicaps are based listed (numbers rarely change if all players in a match move up or back. Individual players who move from white to blue generally gain one more stroke, while players who move from white to green lose two strokes and vice versa. Handicapping can be confirmed using GHIN app, of course)
West players on left, East players on right

[/size]MATCH 1 (White tees)
[/size]Greif   Perches 4
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 2 (Blue tees)
[/size]Hill 2   Calcutt 3
[/size]Moore 4   Flory   
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 3 (White)
[/size]Seitz 2     Marvin 2
[/size]Rector 5  Treitler   
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 4   (White)   
[/size]Salmen       Thurman 6
[/size]Shelman 3   Wolf 7   
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 5 (White)
[/size]Topp 6       Studer   
[/size]Wolter 2    Melchiors 1   
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 6 (White)
[/size]Halyard 7   Duran
[/size]Freeman 3   Mayhugh 3   
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 7 (Green)
[/size]Sekulic 1   Steele 3
[/size]Clawson 2   Mickle
[/size]
[/size]MATCH 8 (Green)      
[/size]McCarthy 8   Titschinger 8
[/size]Lund        Woodward 15
[/size]
[/size]Sunday singles matches will be announced at dinner on Saturday, and also posted here for reference.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2021, 09:58:00 AM »

Hopefully this one will be streaming live on ESPN 8, The Ocho...   :)

MATCH 6 (White)[/font][/color][/size]Halyard 7   Duran[/size]reeman 3   Mayhugh 3   [/size][/font][/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back