News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

I'm proud of the contributors who worked to create a "guide" for Green Committees, a topic many of us felt was important. Best of all, the proceeds go to the ASGCA Foundation — The Foundation works behind the scenes to educate, extend scholarships and support the art of golf design. Your $24.95 will also make Jeff Bezos happy as it is being offered via Amazon  ;D

https://www.amazon.com/Designs-Better-Golf-Course-Committees/dp/B08KH97LM6

A special thanks to Jeff Brauer for his work editing and putting it all together. I know many here on GCA enjoy "discussing" with Jeff, so this is a great opportunity to read the book and then take him to task on any little detail you would like to pursue.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

John Emerson

Re: Designs on a Better Golf Course — Green Committees (New Book)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »

I'm proud of the contributors who worked to create a "guide" for Green Committees, a topic many of us felt was important. Best of all, the proceeds go to the ASGCA Foundation — The Foundation works behind the scenes to educate, extend scholarships and support the art of golf design. Your $24.95 will also make Jeff Bezos happy as it is being offered via Amazon  ;D

A special thanks to Jeff Brauer for his work editing and putting it all together. I know many here on GCA enjoy "discussing" with Jeff, so this is a great opportunity to read the book and then take him to task on any little detail you would like to pursue.

This is great and much needed for the ones making the decisions for their respective clubs.  Question...was their an agronomy aspect to the book or was it all architecture based? 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
John,

Mostly architecture based, answering some of the most practical questions green committees ask.  We cover 50 topics, from the value of design to design considerations for greens, tees, fairways, and infrastructure, to getting into construction.  Just a few on basic big picture design topics.

That said, agronomist Terry Buchen provided the guts of one big chapter (3 pages in the "little red book" format is a big chapter) which was drawn on some of the articles he had written over the years.  It covers mostly things you need to know to be an effective green committee member.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »

:o

Two points before the firing line starts......

Yes, you can expect a similar tone to many of my posts here, focusing on some of the practical and real world aspects of design for other than the top 1% of courses.  I tried to represent a wide swatch of generally accepted principles, but point out several times how each situation and architect are a bit different and that we can only describe general principles.

Two, somewhere in there, I admit that nearly any other architect who you might quote the book to will probably tell you that the main author (me, basically reformatting 14 years of columns in Golf Course Industry and adding some other content from others) is probably cuckoo for coco puffs....... ;) [size=78%].[/size]

JMEvensky

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »
JB, I think it's great you et al did this--anything that helps educate Green Committees/Chairmen is a good thing. I hope you sell a million copies.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
The Anatomy of a Golf Course has sold a ton of copies to green committees over the years -- whether on courses where I am consulting, or not.  The book won't sell a million but hopefully it gets wide circulation [but does not slow down my own sales]  :D

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 03:48:22 PM »
Two for one...buy Jeff's book and get Tom's at n/c   :)

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
Two for one...buy Jeff's book and get Tom's at n/c   :)
Buy two, one for yourself and one for your home course.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
FWIW - I bought 15 copies of TD and Bob Crosby's Little Red Book and distributed copies to our greens chairmen, club president, superintendent and the break rooms of our grounds staff. The "single sitting" format of smaller chapters seemed to prove digestible to non GCA fanatics. And in a couple of cases served as a gateway drug to genuine interest in learning more. Money well spent.

Congratulations Jeff on your newest effort. I look forward to reading.

Michael

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 04:03:40 AM »
I wish you every success with this venture both from the book sales and the educating a committee perspective.
I am fearful however, that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, the more so where a committee of essentially well-meaning though frequently ego driven individuals often with their own agenda is concerned. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with some committees even having possession of a colouring-in or paint-by-numbers book.
Good luck though.
atb

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
Thomas,

This was a continuing concern of the review committee, despite my assurances that I was trying to make gca just complicated enough that no reasonable person would try it on their own. :)   I understand that any info given out will be mis-used to some degree by some percentage of people.  There are people who just won't hire architects now to save expense (and really just cost themselves either money from doing it wrong, or dissatisfaction from designing it badly).

Besides, its not like other gca's haven't written books and put similar info out there already.  In addition, there are a few chapters addressing "thinking like an architect" and "What does the gca know that I don't?"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
Tis didn't fit under the word limit of the previous post, just as an example.......

What Do Golf Course Architects Know That I Don’t?

The ASGCA defines a golf course architect as the person most responsible for the final form, look, and character of a golf course via routing, construction documents, field design changes, and even bulldozing.  Golf course architects possess a unique combination of knowledge, skills, training and experience required to take your dream course from concept through construction, including:

Golf, Golfers and Golf History - Most golf course architects study historic golf courses to learn the game’s strategy, shot values and subtleties.  They know how golf is played by the very best – and the rest!  Their understanding of player and equipment capabilities and limitations, together with public or club politics helps them conceive and guide all aspects of a project.

Landscape Architecture - Not all golf course architects are formally trained in landscape architecture, but they understand basic design principles and have an artistic flare.  It’s hard to put a dollar value on “artistic flare” but it’s a necessary part of great golf course design that most people just don’t possess.
Design also includes creating a technically sound golf course with properly built greens, tees and bunkers.  Courses need good irrigation, soils, and drainage to support fine turf.  They’re better with, with appropriate safety buffers and good circulation, and literally dozens of other items that golfers don’t even realize are important, but which must be seamlessly incorporated into the design.
In addition to basic design skills, the golf course architect requires substantial knowledge in these areas:

Environmental Science - Well designed courses enhance nature, minimize environmental impact, and meet, or exceed, environmental codes and regulations by using best practices.

Civil Engineering - Translating design ideas into reality requires knowledge of surveying, land planning, site design, regulations, aerial photography, topographic maps, irrigation hydraulics, pumps, and piping systems.  The old axiom of “drainage, drainage, drainage” applies to all golf courses, but especially to those where returning to play quickly increases revenues.  Even cart paths - so distracting and yet integral to modern golf – require experience and thought to properly lay out for aesthetics and convenience. (See “How Do We Route Cart Paths?”

Agronomy - The golf course architect must understand agronomy to provide the superintendent with the right tools, in terms of irrigation, drainage, sunlight and soils, in order for them to deliver optimum conditions.  Increasingly, water quality is an issue.

Cost Estimating - Sooner or later, it always comes down to money!  Using knowledge gained from past projects, and specific plans and specifications for your project, golf course architects present realistic construction cost necessary to plan budgets and obtain financing.

Contracts, Plans, Specifications - Multi-million dollar construction projects – including golf courses – require proper contracts.  Golf course architects create detailed plans and specifications and contracts to protect your financial interests.  They assist you in negotiating the best possible terms and price with Contractors who have more experience in these contracts than the typical club.  Some even assist in construction (See “Design Bid vs. Design Build?”)

Project Management and Construction - Proper design also means “buildable,” cost effective projects and regular construction monitoring for quality and schedule control, essential to meet grassing windows and timely project completion.  Experienced architects keep pie well below the sky.
While golfers, superintendents, club managers, historians, committee members, contractors, suppliers and others can make design contributions, all have limited perspectives, and none has the total skillset required for successful design and construction of even smaller projects.

In many cases, facilities retain golf course architects only after a first attempt at self-design and construction.  “Saving money” on golf course architecture fees is “false savings” in the long term.  Golf course architects earn their fees by avoiding mistakes or unsatisfactory designs that quickly require rebuilding.  Dad was right.  It’s cheaper to do it right the first time, including design fees.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
I expected far more harassment for Jeff! This is way too easy.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »
Congratulations on the book Jeff.  I'm sure it is informative.  I would also assume that since most Green Committees don't know what they don't know, it would promote ASGCA architects to them even if in a subtle manner...   
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

ward peyronnin

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:37 PM »
I will love to read the book and well done to all.

However in my experience nothing happens the super doesn't want to happen. Even with all my years and experience and serving on the green committee I got stiff armed for sharing with him that milorganite would help keep deer away from his petunia's.

So hopefully some kind of hook appears for this faction. Good luck
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 10:11:34 PM »
Ward — "However in my experience nothing happens the super doesn't want to happen...."
[/size][/color]
[/size]And that, my good man, is why superintendents last only so long. While I am one who respects the superintendent's opinion and tenure, I have seen it turn on a dime — things change, and so do all of us who weigh in on what happens — or doesn't — at a club or course.[/color]
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back