News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: Aerification and verticutting
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 09:38:51 PM »
"While the proof should be in the pudding and it does take time away from running the operation, but perhaps informing/educating the paying customer is a good idea?" 

Lou -

You raise a good point. So many of these question/concerns could be nipped in the bud if the superintendent sent out a 3-paragraph email twice a month telling the members what maintenance procedures were planned for the coming weeks and why they were being done.

It also would not hurt to have a "happy hour with the super" a couple times a year where the members could ask questions of the super.

DT

Agreed. A blog is also a great opportunity to disseminate information as well.  Any social media for that matter is a good option to keep folks up to speed.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike_Young

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 09:46:34 PM »
Also interested in any Mach 1 opinions.

Me too.
I planted an 11,000 ft putting green at The Fields a few weeks after Streamsong.  Come see it...And I planted one in Sunday at the same time...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
If you put 10 superintendents in a room you will have 12 opinions on aerification.   ;D
My course has Champion Bermuda.  About 8 years ago we had a big problem with thatch, so we went to extreme measures to clean it up.  We aerated with large tines in two directions, then used a Graden (basically a verticutter on steroids), also in two directions.  Then sanded like crazy.  It was basically unplayable for a week, barely puttable for two weeks, then quite unpleasant for another month.  We now have fantastic greens with deep roots and we only aerate once a year in late July.  No verticutting, and only light topdressing now and then.  Minimal thatch.  We also fertilize a lot less than others, which I think is the key.  It works for us.
Keep in mind that practices for South Florida will be different than the transition zone where you are.  The growing season is longer, and they can shut down the course in the summer.  In Atlanta we don't have that luxury.  We have to be perfect through August, when things slow down for college football.  And in Aiken, if I'm not mistaken, isn't most of the play in the shoulder season?  If that's the case, then the super may be doing all of the work in the summer so the spring and fall can be perfect.

Sure. The course I cut my teeth at in Hilton Head closes for 3 weeks in July to complete 2 aerifications. Tifeagle. But I think that this shows the difference between Champion & some of the other varieties, too. Though Champion has some shortcomings, too. Im not sure there is a real, tried & true UD. Qualities & drawbacks can be found in them all.

Tony -- presumably you're familiar with the new Mach 1 ultradwarf that Rusty Mercer has just installed at Streamsong. Thoughts?

I will let Kyle comment on his thoughts of Mach 1, but I have read about it, yes.

There is always something to be said when being one of the first to plant a new grass. Nearly every golf course & Superintendent does some form of test a year or 2 prior to an install decision or regrassing. Of all the times I have visited a course to see a new grass, the turf has been installed in a less than real life area; chipping green, range tee area that's hardly used, a fairway area that hardly sees cart traffic....etc.

What I do know is that is a lot of pressure to be the guinea pig, especially when completing a total regrassing. In generally, the turf is going to be different as it tries to create a new organic later & matures to a point where it can handle wear better. Add a new grass that you're leading the way on & it can leave you scratching your head.

We put in Latitude 36 at Old Marsh & after bringing in 3700 dump trucks of non-uniform fill, we certainly had areas of turf that liked life better than others. There are certain times of the year where the turf is VERY sensitive, but that just happens to be when the golf course is slammed, and south Florida golf is in full swing. Every year since regrassing, the several Latitude Superintendents have gotten together to discuss what they are seeing compared what everyone is doing vs what is working better at some sites than the others. With some of the struggles that Latitude has faced in its first 5 years, I am not so sure that we will see a Florida course install it for a while. Couple the previous problems & the fact that new grasses have already come out that clubs are trying, there may remain only 11 courses in FL with Latitude 36 for some time.

Off the top of my head, I have seen Emerald, GN-1, Latitude, Bimini, Northbridge, 419, Celebration, TifTuff, Tifgrand, Jonesdwarf, Sunday, Champion, Champion G-12, Mini Verde & Tifeagle, to name a few. Emerald was developed as a "poor man's" Champion, but its relatively unheard of now. Same with Jonesdwarf. GN-1 was developed shortly before Celebration, but marketed differently and Celebration took off, especially in the no till sector. Many don’t realize that Celebration is just an off type of Common bermudagrass that the Australians have had for years. Sunday seems to only have a like warm reception. Tifgrand has been widely used on collars, approaches & even tee boxes. The only course that has used Tifgrand wall to wall is The Floridian. Champion gained a lot of popularity because of its not till option. This is the same reason why so many became contaminated only a few years after grass.

That all being said, picking the right grass for your course can be very difficult in general, let alone deciding if you want to be “the first” to install a specific grass.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:07:30 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
"While the proof should be in the pudding and it does take time away from running the operation, but perhaps informing/educating the paying customer is a good idea?" 

Lou -

You raise a good point. So many of these question/concerns could be nipped in the bud if the superintendent sent out a 3-paragraph email twice a month telling the members what maintenance procedures were planned for the coming weeks and why they were being done.

It also would not hurt to have a "happy hour with the super" a couple times a year where the members could ask questions of the super.

DT

Agreed. A blog is also a great opportunity to disseminate information as well.  Any social media for that matter is a good option to keep folks up to speed.

All nice ideas. I'm sure if you are on this board, you would read such agronomy updates. Problem is, what percentage of your membership will read them? I'll set the over/under at 10%. Fact is, most bitching about the course occurs in the pro shop. So the real critical piece is having a good relationship between the greenkeeping dept. and the pro shop. So shop staff need to be coached up on the why's of cultural practices and be able to field basic questions and concerns. There needs to be a free flow of communication between the two departments and regular meetings. Pop quiz: Most superintendent blogs/twitters/etc. are read by whom?

Answer: Other superintendents/salesmen/consultants/turf industry people
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »

Lou -

DT

All nice ideas. I'm sure if you are on this board, you would read such agronomy updates. Problem is, what percentage of your membership will read them? I'll set the over/under at 10%. Fact is, most bitching about the course occurs in the pro shop. So the real critical piece is having a good relationship between the greenkeeping dept. and the pro shop. So shop staff need to be coached up on the why's of cultural practices and be able to field basic questions and concerns. There needs to be a free flow of communication between the two departments and regular meetings. Pop quiz: Most superintendent blogs/twitters/etc. are read by whom?

Answer: Other superintendents/salesmen/consultants/turf industry people

While the above is very true, the fact is-most bitching occurs between members out of ear shot of the pro shop or maintenance.
Yes, the pro shop hears it as well eventually and many educate themselves to give informed answers, but a well written newsletter from the greens chairman(if you have one-we don't), Superintendent or Golf Professional goes a long way to avoid the golf staff bearing the brunt.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:22:21 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
Tom B. -

Yes, good communication between the super and the pro shop staff would also be helpful in getting the word out on what is being done on the course.

In addition to sending out emails or posting a blog, perhaps a schedule of upcoming maintenance practices (along with brief comments from the super) could be posted in the pro shop.

The two clubs I belong to send out a weekly emails to the members that include comments regarding what maintenance practices are happening on the course in the coming weeks. I read those emails thoroughly.

DT
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:24:51 AM by David_Tepper »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 11:25:21 AM »
I think the general takeaway is just that communication and transparency are a good thing. That's true in any business endeavor I can think of. Lou says it takes time away from running the operation - I don't want to nitpick that statement because he's literally right and also because I agree with his post almost in its entirety. I'd just add that proactive communication streamlines running the operation, even if the time that it takes to deliver it is time that could otherwise be spent hosing out a cart barn or running a mower. It reflects that there's a plan in place, it clears up questions before they get asked, it creates buy-in on actions that might be unpopular in a vacuum or that involve cost.

Our superintendent has been with us for two years or so. His approval rating must be above 90% based on the conversations I have around the club, and rightfully so. He keeps our turf in awesome condition for the huge majority of the year on a budget much smaller than the majority of clubs locally. But he also aerates and verticuts and performs all the unpopular tasks that any superintendent must. He's really good about communicating those things out though. We get short, clear e-mails from him a couple times a month explaining his thought processes and the actions he's taking based on his knowledge. I almost never encounter a maintenance issue on the course that I haven't already read about in an e-mail. I can tell you the work he's expecting to complete in the next two weeks anytime that you ask me, all year long. We also get a monthly greens committee update in our newsletter, providing further explanation. And crucially, the pro and golf staff stay on the same page with him and reinforce his messages, and don't hide their approval of the quality of his work.

I probably wouldn't read his blog if he had one, but I'll read the five sentence e-mails he sends out, and he's remarkably clear and succinct in them.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
My hat is off to all the supers on the board, who are no doubt overworked and underpaid based on the number of hours they put in, especially during peak season. But on top of that having to deal with the whiner boys who expect Augusta-like conditions, even during the most brutal times of year weather-wise, I commend your patience and understanding!

Asking questions is great, it should always be encouraged, when it is earnest and in good faith.. not when its just more chest thumping/dick wagging by alpha member X who doesn't take no from anyone.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »

Lou -

DT

Eoin Ridell and Neil Hampton do a wonderful job at RDGC of keeping the members informed.  My correspondence with Eoin has been limited, but I have no doubt that he is at the top of his game.  I hear from JVB that the Championship course is in great condition.

This has been a difficult year at my Texas club and your idea, David, of a happy hour is a good one.  I may host a Texas BBQ for the maintenance crew before Thanksgiving.  While I am sure that our Supt. is well paid, that is not the case of the rest of the staff.  They probably don't get enough recognition and appreciation.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »
Jason T,

I didn't mean to imply that communications between course maintenance and the members should be relegated to the back burner.  I am saying that it seems to slip because the superintendent position is not 8-5 and many clubs have limited resources forcing the incumbent to prioritize over a 12 to 16-hour daily schedule, six and seven days a week without getting all the important jobs done.

Another factor is personal in nature, i.e. the self-selection that goes into pursuing a profession, be it sales and marketing, police work, teaching, finance and accounting, agronomy, etc.  I've met many superintendents over the years and a very common characteristic is that of being toward the introverted end of the scale (extroverted on the other).  Communication does not seem to be in a familiar, handy place in the toolbox.  And, as you know, we tend to be more comfortable going with our strengths and sometimes procrastinating on things we don't like to do.

I can't agree more that the relationship with golf professional staff and the superintendent's shop should be seamless and continual.  Sorry to say that in my experience this has been the exception as opposed to the rule.  Part of this could very well be due to what was mentioned earlier- the pro shop gets all the complaints about course conditions and setup, many which are unwarranted, some with cause.

A strong general manager may be the best solution, ensuring that the two departments are cooperating and organizing clear and regular communications with the membership.  Leadership is the key at any club.  Those clubs with the best cultures probably have the strongest leaders.  A reasonable budget as well. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back