News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

We should be discussing Lac La Belle...
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »
The Club at Lac La Belle in Oconomowoc, WI, must be one of the most architecturally interesting courses to have opened in the last year or so. Consider:

* The state of Wisconsin has become a major golf hotbed, and especially on the public side. This course makes that bed hotter, and sits about 10-15 miles from Erin Hills between Madison and Milwaukee.
* It was built on the site of one of Wisconsin's oldest clubs. Golf has been played on the property since 1896, but the course that opened in June represents almost a complete overhaul intended not only to improve the golf itself, but also the drainage of the flooding-prone site. The new course showcases classic golf principles with a decidedly 21st-century aesthetic.
* The reopened course is discussion-worthy. In a state loaded with quality public-accessible golf, Lac La Belle would comfortably make my top 10 list.

I'll share a few pics and thoughts:

The first hole gives a good idea of what you'll find. A shorter par 4, the drive plays to a fairly wide fairway where the best line probably favors the left side for a clearer view of the green. As you see below, a bunkered mound well short of the green obscures the view a bit from the right.

2 is another shorter par 4, but a much tougher hole. I'm not sold on the tee shot that plays through a gap in the trees with much of the fairway well left of that gap. But it also has, without question, one of the boldest and most challenging greens I've seen... anywhere really.

The tee shot at 3 needs to stay short or left of a wetland that cuts into the landing area, although only longer hitters will reach it. The approach plays over the wetland to another very sloped green.

I would guess many will cite the 4th as their favorite hole. A mid-long par 3 with a big green with some serious gathering areas that will make for plenty of aces when pins are placed compassionately, and plenty of 3-putts as well.

The course gains a unique character when it crosses back over the road to holes 5-7, as they play through a little lakefront neighborhood. No houses come into play, but this section of the course has a really nice, communal feel. The 6th is a longer par 4 with a stream meandering down the right side and causing all kinds of consternation on the tee shot, before crossing a wetland to a large and not-too-crazy green.

More wetlands down the right at the shorter 7th, but the hole has a very different character from its predecessor.

Much like 4, you can use the slopes on the par 3 8th to work a ball closer to a pin. This one plays about 150ish.

9 is a drivable par 4, and not totally dissimilar in character to the 9th at Sand Valley really. As I understand it, this hole hasn't changed much in routing from the original course but has certainly had aesthetic updates.

If one thing leaps out about Lac La Belle, it's that the greens stand among the 10 boldest sets I've ever played. Here's a look at the 13th, which is wild, but not really uniquely so among the 18 greens and complexes around the course.

The very attractive 14th will be drivable for some.

The approach to the medium-long par 4 15th.

16 might win my vote for favorite hole. It certainly boasts one of the more interesting tee shots I've seen in a while. The hole sweeps to the left, and a big ball can carry the leftmost bunker to set up an excellent chance to reach in two.

The most conventional par 3 on the course, the tee shot at the short 17th gives a good feel for the intimate, part-of-the-neighborhood character of the site.

The big par 4 18th played into the wind at my visit and with the rainy conditions, it played as a full three shotter. The green ties right into the club's putting course behind.

I found a lot to like here, and a few things I wasn't totally sure about. The course feels a little Sweetens-esque to me, although maybe not quite as free-spirited. Considering that anyone driving up to places like Sand Valley, Lawsonia, Erin Hills, or Kohler when coming from Chicago and other areas south will pass within 30 minutes or so of this place, I wouldn't be surprised to see it garner plenty of attention of its own. I know others have played it. I'd be curious to know favorite holes, least-favorite holes, and general impressions. I saw it on a wet, cold day during which I spent 8 hours in the car, and still came away excited for a return visit in the not-too-distant future.

* Beautiful and bold shaping
* A lot of really interesting shots
* Not one person said a word to me about a riding cart. I paid my all-inclusive greens fee, and was pointed in the direction of the club's push cart fleet.

Dislikes:
* A few of the tee shots felt a little too punishing (2) and/or awkward (3, 12, 13)
* Revoke my membership to this Discussion Group if you want to, but I feel like I'm officially ready to see a cool new course with nice, round, flash-faced bunkers surrounded by well-kempt rough. That's not really a dislike - Lac La Belle is beautiful and does the wild & wooly look in a parkland neighborhood setting better than I would've ever thought a course could do it. I never would've thought that I'd play a hole that looks like 5 at Lac La Belle with a lady in capri pants unloading her groceries from the Volvo parked in the driveway of her suburban lakefront semi-mansion in the background of the hole's periphery. That's sort of the point - between this place and Sweetens and countless other courses in the post-Sand Hills era, we've seen a whole new vintage-inspired rugged look go mainstream and lots of great courses get built around it. But I don't want the next new course I play to try to do that look even better - I'm ready to see some RTJ-inspired shit with lots of fairway striping, white sand bunkers, and greens that even Billy Horschel would call "fair."

Questions:
* How will the club manage the native areas around some of the hole corridors as they grow in? The course has plenty of width right now and it's pretty hard to lose balls, but keeping it in that state will require some effort.
* How much does the course come alive when it's, say, 70 degrees and dry as opposed to 50 degrees and soaked by a couple inches of rain in the last few days?
* Will they stay open to the public for the long-term? Conversations around the pro shop made me wonder...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:39:39 AM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tim Gavrich

Re: We should be discussing Lac La Belle...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
between this place and Sweetens and countless other courses in the post-Sand Hills era, we've seen a whole new vintage-inspired rugged look go mainstream and lots of great courses get built around it. But I don't want the next new course I play to try to do that look even better - I'm ready to see some RTJ-inspired shit with lots of fairway striping, white sand bunkers, and greens that even Billy Horschel would call "fair."

In that case I would prescribe a round at SentryWorld, another member of the ever-deepening "bench" of excellent golf in Wisconsin.

Lac La Belle looks really interesting; thanks for the tour.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »
Tim, I'd love to see SentryWorld and I'm embarrassed that I never played it when I lived in Madison. In my defense I have none.

I did look into it for this trip, but their website showed they would be closed until "at least September 9." Lac La Belle ended up being my first round of the trip, on September 10. They still hadn't made an announcement by the time I had fully booked myself with (probably one too many) rounds. I never looked to see if they finally did open (I just looked - they didn't - they're closed for the year).

I'm trying to figure out where Lac La Belle fits on the Wisconsin "bench." I'd probably have it behind Sand Valleys two, Lawsonia, Whistling Straits, and the River at BWR. I think I'd also have it behind Erin Hills. But I wouldn't think someone was crazy if they liked it more than Straits or Erin Hills. It'll definitely fit some people's tastes better than those two, and it would probably be a better member's course than either of those. I can't think of many places that would be a more fun site for a reasonably affordable GCA outing... I can't remember if they already have lodging onsite or if that part's coming, but this would make an awesome match-play venue for a couple days.

I'm realizing I like Erin Hills less and less as I get further from having played it. It's hard to see paying the freight to go back when a place like Lac La Belle is just down the road.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
I didn't realize Craig Haltom from the Mashie was the architect --looks like a must play on one of my MSP to ORD drives

https://www.wisconsin.golf/courses/d_time/with-a-new-shine-on-one-of-the-oldest-courses-in-america-the-club-at/article_07a9ce82-a12a-11ea-b579-87cd1103d039.html

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »
The course looks great.  Interesting bio the club posted on Craig Haltom.

https://clubatlaclabelle.com/golf/

About halfway down the page it says this:
"While out hiking in central Wisconsin he discovered the land and developed the course that would become known as Sand Valley; a truly unique vision brought to reality across massive sand dunes and other breathtaking landforms."

Looks like Craig brought the idea to Mike to purchase the land and run with it...

George Myers

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Haltom has been busy.
He also worked with the Stevens Point CC to do some nice work there.

I guess he also did work on the Beloit CC but I haven't heard much about that here.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:57:33 PM »
I was in a group with Craig on Sunday, and all I can say is, keep quiet after hitting a shot or else you make be talking in the middle of his swing.  I think he hit at least a couple tee shots before my tee shot had hit the ground.  ;D   He is a VERY fast player, and a great guy with whom to play a round of golf.  Look forward to seeing Lac La Belle in the future.

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:17 PM »
Other than the suggestion that Craig Haltom worked with Ron Forse at Lawsonia (it was all Craig) this is a very good article and lots of visual illustration of what has been achieved at Lac La Belle
https://thefriedegg.com/history-and-memory-renovating-the-club-at-lac-la-belle/

Greg Ramsay
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:46:11 PM by Greg Ramsay »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 01:55:23 PM »
Other than the suggestion that Craig Haltom worked with Ron Forse at Lawsonia (it was all Craig) this is a very good article and lots of visual illustration of what has been achieved at Lac La Belle
https://thefriedegg.com/history-and-memory-renovating-the-club-at-lac-la-belle/

Pretty sure Ron Forse is the 'consulting' architect at Lawsonia
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »
Haltom has been busy.
He also worked with the Stevens Point CC

Here’s my piece on Craig’s project at Stevens Point.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/stevens-point-a-recipe-for-success/
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »
G'day Buck, i don't think Ron has been involved at Lawsonia for many years now, but i understand he was engaged by the Church-owners perhaps 10years ago, and kicked-off the much-needed tree removal program. But that was before Craig and Oliphant Golf Management took over and i doubt they've ever referred to any of Ron's suggestions, since. He's a great architect and probably made much the same recommendation "open it up, let it play firm, and leave well enough alone"
Greg Ramsay
shaping www.armend.com
restoring www.rathofarm.com
celebrating www.ausgolfmuseum.com
& see how we built www.barnbougle.com.au at

Wandering Golfer https://youtu.be/qK6wamAiFrs

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back