News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Discovering Donald Ross // Glens Falls
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
While up in the Adirondacks I was afforded the opportunity to visit Glens Falls- I knew about Glens Falls and then was more inspired to make play after the great review in Courses By Country.

While playing its hard not to be reminded of the greats in the North; the dramatics of Eastward Ho! - the severity of Siwanoy or Wykagyl, the ruggedness of the neighboring New England courses, the daunting-heroic blindness encountered on topography in the North East.

We are back in our Golf Learning Center in New York City on 116th St.- so I was eager to reach into our library when I remembered Mr. Klein's Discovering Donald Ross.

I was surprised to see nothing of much substance on Glens Falls, maybe I've missed it? Perhaps one reason why its flown under the radar.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:07:07 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Tim Martin

Re: Discovering Donald Ross // Glens Falls
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
Really a special golf course that hid in plain sight until fairly recently. It’s one that after playing once nagged at me until I got a replay. Tom Haggerty has been the golf professional for north of thirty five years and is an incredibly gracious man.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
I played it a few years ago. Very nice course. A road cut thru a par 5 so they built a new green. The old green is still there on the other side of the road and used as a practice green. That’s what I was told anyway.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
I’ve heard ppl say that “it could be Ross’ second or 3rd best course”.  After going there, I believe them.  It’s special.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:56:32 AM »
Agree and think we should thank Ran and his "147 Custodians" for highlighting Glens Falls.  It was a "hidden gem" at least for me until "147" was published 2+ years ago.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »
Glen Falls. Just one glen. A few glades, and a holler or two, but nary a second glen to be found.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
You can't call it his 2nd or 3rd best course, as it is not completely his (I don't believe.) The 16th hole is not his, and the finish was changed to accommodate increased traffic. The practice green adjacent to tee the 17th was the old 16th green. I believe that it was a par three (see google maps) that played over the road. The tee is now blocked by trees. The current 17th (I believe) was the 18th, and the current 18th did not exist or was a bye/19th hole.

Any corrections are welcome and applauded.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
You can't call it his 2nd or 3rd best course, as it is not completely his (I don't believe.) The 16th hole is not his, and the finish was changed to accommodate increased traffic. The practice green adjacent to tee the 17th was the old 16th green. I believe that it was a par three (see google maps) that played over the road. The tee is now blocked by trees. The current 17th (I believe) was the 18th, and the current 18th did not exist or was a bye/19th hole.

Any corrections are welcome and applauded.

I was told that was the original par 5 green. But you could be correct.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
Rob...you are right!!

I knew there was something funky about it. It never was a par three. 16 was a dogleg right par five, instead of the leftward hole it is now. 17 and 18 are original.

rm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
Glen Falls. Just one glen. A few glades, and a holler or two, but nary a second glen to be found.

Glens Falls is correct.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 10:57:51 AM »
Golf courses do not need to be any better than Glens Falls.

The truncation of the 16th also suffers because it forced the tee to be moved back, rendering a large and deep swale out of play.  Previously, it required a significant carry from the tee to make or break reaching the green in two.  I assume.

I continue to think the 18th should be the 1st.  Would eliminate two short but unnecessary walks and close the round with the stellar 17th. 

Don't miss the bench in the locker room with a few thousand spike marks in it.  Don't know why but I get a kick out of such things.

Be well.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:59 PM »
Oh, the shame. The internet let me down. Apologies for the insouciance.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back