News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Where would you?
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »
Harry Vardon apparently wanted to retire to Saunton. And presumably not play more than two rounds a day! :)
That was many decades ago however when SW England, the World even, was a different, quieter, more tranquil, slower paced place.
And whilst a combination of Saunton and Westward Ho has a strong attraction for me I’m not sure I could put up with the narrow roads and beach and holiday traffic during the summer season and at weekends and bank holidays during the rest of the year.
Same with a few other potential locations too. Be careful what you wish for, there are likely to be flip-sides as well.
If ever there was a need for a ‘Transporter-Teleporter’’ from Star Trek .... “Beam me up, Scotty”. :)
Atb

Over the years I have belonged to both Saunton and RND. I love the area and spent ten days there for five years. I didn't mind the traffic and loved the Southwest Coast Path. It takes you along some of the most stunning coast in England. I'd play golf in the AM and hike the path in the PM. Devon and Cornwall are my favorite counties in England. I could spend September there and be very happy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »
San Diego within city limits so you can get the resident rate at Torrey Pines. Best weather in the United States with many good public golf courses. 8)

Are you trying to get kicked off of GCA?

Kidding, but rare to see any praise of Southern California public golf around here, aside from Rustic. Torrey resident perks are one thing, but the real question is are you enough of a gambler to gain status at Barona so you can play Barona Creek for free or heavily discounted rates?
Club Barona card is free gets you 1/2 off greenfees. Lots of great twilight rates at good courses like Maderas, Coronado, Encinitas Ranch, Steele Canyon, etc. Our own Pete Lavalee belongs to Balboa I think.

I played Barona yesterday and while you could get approx. half off greens fees pre-Covid, that is no longer the case and as a matter of fact they have raised the rates close to 20%.

Not a fan of Maderas, nor Encinitas Ranch (live a mile and a half west of the course) love Barona (although the fairways are burnt out from the heat and lack of rain).

San Diego is a very nice place to live but, the quality of golf is somewhat lacking.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »

Not a fan of Maderas, nor Encinitas Ranch (live a mile and a half west of the course) love Barona (although the fairways are burnt out from the heat and lack of rain).

San Diego is a very nice place to live but, the quality of golf is somewhat lacking.
Encinitas Ranch just fit my game for some reason. Had 2 of my best 3 rounds in my life there. Humble bests, but still really liked it. I was a JC golf member for several years in the mid 2000's and played there quite a bit.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »

Encinitas Ranch just fit my game for some reason. Had 2 of my best 3 rounds in my life there. Humble bests, but still really liked it. I was a JC golf member for several years in the mid 2000's and played there quite a bit.
I do go up there and play quite a bit during the year since I live so close but, it is not a course I would go out of my way to play.

Greg Smith

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2020, 07:49:43 PM »
If I could wangle a membership to Yeamans Hall, it would be Charleston in a second.  I'd keep my current domicile as a bug out location in case of hurricanes -- though I'd live in Charleston a larger part of the year.

If Yeamans is out, I'd side with the Chattanooga crowd and say east Tennessee -- once again, contingent on whether I could manage a membership at the right place.

O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 05:22:16 PM »
If I could wangle a membership to Yeamans Hall, it would be Charleston in a second.  I'd keep my current domicile as a bug out location in case of hurricanes -- though I'd live in Charleston a larger part of the year.

I concur with this judgment!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Mammel

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
You would have to be an absolute and total idiot to retire to California.  The taxes alone will kill you.  California only works if you are already well placed in the 1% and the taxes don't seem to bother one.
Well, according to Forbes CA taxers are better than Minnesota! That aside, hard to beat the outskirts of the Twin Cities in the summer and Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area in the winter. CPC hasn't tapped me either but lots of good golf around...
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Rob Marshall

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »

If Yeamans is out, I'd side with the Chattanooga crowd and say east Tennessee -- once again, contingent on whether I could manage a membership at the right place.

I was thinking the same thing. I have family in Charleston. A few months in Florida and the rest of the year in Charleston wouldn’t be too bad.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »
I could do Traverse City or Charlevoix and play at Kingsley in the summer and be very happy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jay Mickle

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »
I moved to Southern Pines 14 years ago and have no desire to live anywhere else. An apartment in North Berwick or a condo in the NC mountains for summer would be nice.  The Pinehurst area has become a 3 season resort but the winters provide for some of the best golf as courses are abandoning over seeding.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
I will take the contrarian viewpoint here. The concept of chasing the sun sounds great, yet I think staying in South-Central PA (Hershey) is where I'll likely choose for retirement. My reasons for this are as follows:

• I like seeing the seasons change
  • I love winter golf for the camaraderie - True that the conditions are what they are, but most of my best golf friendships have been cemented playing winter rounds
  • Lastly, losing regular golf in the winter with the 2-6 weeks that end up unplayable allows my aging body to heal a little and also is a break mentally
  • My home club, Hershey CC, is a great golf environment and they keep the East Course open year round if the conditions permit
  • The snow line is usually within an hour or two down towards Baltimore and Delaware if I really need winter rounds
  • Chasing some warm air in January and February is a good excuse for some golf travel that the wife will be happy to accompany me on   

Greg Hohman

Re: Where would you? New
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »
You guys come up with great ideas. All beyond the reach of my wallet, but delicious food for thought.

I live in Chula Vista south of San Diego. I could live in retirement with the golf around here, but couldn’t live with the cost, tho I don’t blame that on anything/anyone but myself (not a rainmaker).

Family reunions made me a believer in Charleston, but I doubt Yeamans Hall or its poorer relations are in a non-rainmaker’s budget.

My wife is drawn to family in the Coachella Valley, whom before Covid we visited regularly. I could live with the golf there, but the cost and summer heat? The date shakes in Indio would keep me going for a while, but then what?

I went to uni in Ireland. If a fellow pub crawler from the mid-80s has a room, we’re set. I could live with the golf in Ireland. Must make some inquiries and try to reconnect…

I was married to a Swiss, understand German, but wasn’t married long enough to qualify for any bounties of the Swiss government. A pity, as I could live in Switzerland without golf.

I have lived in NYC, satisfied with the memories.

I can envision retirement in the basement or attic of family in WA, VA and NC, where I could live with the golf. Those folks don’t follow this site, so my secret plan is safe for now.

All that being said/confessed, I am drawn to my home state of PA. What do you say, Jim, can you accommodate us?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:34:27 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »

Only if I make the basement into a B&B and your willing to share space with 30 years of old golf equipment.

I know a lot of guys with places down south and it’s pretty amazing how little time they really spend down there. Of course I also know guys that disappeared down south never to be seen again.

You guys come up with great ideas. All beyond the reach of my wallet, but delicious food for thought.

I live in Chula Vista south of San Diego. I could live in retirement with the golf around here, but couldn’t live with the cost, tho I don’t blame that on anything/anyone but myself (not a rainmaker).

Family reunions made me a believer in Charleston, but I doubt Yeamans Hall or its poorer relations are in a non-rainmaker’s budget.

My wife is drawn to family in the Coachella Valley, whom before Covid we visited regularly. I could live with the golf there, but the cost and summer heat? The date shakes in Indio would keep me going for a while, but then what?

I went to uni in Ireland. If a fellow pub crawler from the mid-80s, has a room, we’re set. I could live with the golf in Ireland. Must make some inquiries and try to reconnect…

I was married to a Swiss, speak and read German fluently, but wasn’t married long enough to qualify for any bounties of the Swiss government. A pity, as I could live in Switzerland without golf.

I have lived in NYC, satisfied with the memories.

I can envision retirement in the basement or attic of family in WA, VA and NC, where I could live with the golf. Those folks don’t follow this site, so my secret plan is safe for now.

All that being said/confessed, I am drawn to my home state of PA. What do you say, Jim, can you accommodate us?

Tim Martin

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2020, 06:44:24 AM »
Northwest Ireland and it’s not even a tough choice. Already working on making it happen.

I want to check out Northwest Ireland but anywhere that I would choose to spend an extended amount of time would have to have
offer some good food options. Is Bellmullet in that conversation?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
Northwest Ireland and it’s not even a tough choice. Already working on making it happen.

I want to check out Northwest Ireland but anywhere that I would choose to spend an extended amount of time would have to have

Is this just for the summer or also winter? Everyone should "experience" a winter in the north west.  ;D I think Fanad Head and Belmullet are the windiest places in Ireland. Ohh, I should also mention it rains 300 days/year as well.

I believe there are now many more decent food places in most areas of Ireland, especially in tourist areas such as the north west.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:34:04 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Jim Sherma

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »

Tim - I don't remember much in the way of good food in Belmullet, but Westport definitely had some options that looked like they could hold you for a while.

The Sligo/Strandhill area could be a very nice area to settle into as well.

Is this just for the summer or also winter? Everyone should "experience" a winter in the north west.  ;D I think Fanad Head and Belmullet are the windiest places in Ireland. Ohh, I should also mention it rains 300 days/year as well.

I believe there are now many more decent food places in most areas of Ireland, especially in tourist areas such as the north west.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
This seems to be a frequent topic for dreamers, and one I enjoy.  I've got my memberships in Pinehurst and Bellmullet sorted out, now just need to finish with work.

Also envision a place in DC as family, that may require assistance, is nearby.

Steve Lang

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
I could do Traverse City or Charlevoix and play at Kingsley in the summer and be very happy.

Tommy,  you would play many many courses within 1-2 hr drive, north, east, and south and be very very happy!

This is no longer a hypothetical dream for Ms. Sheila and I,  its The Woodlands,TX along the 30th parallel mid-Sept to Mid-June, and

44°48'50.79"N,  84°53'44.75"W  for the summers...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:47:22 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back