News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Where would you?
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
I just renewed my pitch to my wife that we should move to North Berwick for retirement. Her objections are logical given that we and both of our families are in the US. Yet, I am not fully convinced. So absent the practical considerations, where would you choose?

Ira

Cliff Hamm

Re: Where would you?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:17 PM »
Why not North Berwick in summer and Florida in winter?  Best of both worlds with year around golf.

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »
I just renewed my pitch to my wife that we should move to North Berwick for retirement. Her objections are logical given that we and both of our families are in the US. Yet, I am not fully convinced. So absent the practical considerations, where would you choose?

Ira

Well, you gave it a good faith effort.  But sounds like it is time to part ways...

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 07:51:11 PM »
I wouldn’t leave Southern New England but like Pinehurst/Southern Pines from December through March. Temps between 45 and 70 are as hot as I need it and the lineup of golf is terrific.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »
Ira - If you find yourself growing more fond of other people as you age, come visit me in the Cotswolds, either in Painswick or Cheltenham.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
Bob Huntley said Monterey was the easiest answer to this question.
I believe him.

I would try Ireland if I could get my daughters to move.
Tasmania is awesome too, they might be talked into Sydney.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:43:33 PM »
San Diego within city limits so you can get the resident rate at Torrey Pines. Best weather in the United States with many good public golf courses. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
You've pushed for the BIG move and met with resistance. Now ask your wife if she would try renting a house in North Berwick for a summer, even a month. Not a long term  commitment. Worst case she hates it but you will have have an extended period of time in East Lothian, plus an opportunity to make many great side trips.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
Thats easy - Maui.
Be the ball

Mark Kiely

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »
San Diego within city limits so you can get the resident rate at Torrey Pines. Best weather in the United States with many good public golf courses. 8)

Are you trying to get kicked off of GCA?

Kidding, but rare to see any praise of Southern California public golf around here, aside from Rustic. Torrey resident perks are one thing, but the real question is are you enough of a gambler to gain status at Barona so you can play Barona Creek for free or heavily discounted rates?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 01:06:24 AM »
If you can afford it, Tara Iti.  Next choice is greater Melbourne.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »
Cliff—The proposed split was NC where we have a place for most of the year and NB in the summer. No go.

Peter F—LOL. But she is my favorite playing partner.

Peter P—Sheryl would quickly tell you that I grow less fond of people as I age, but will take you up on the invite if that changes.

Mike—In a heartbeat. The moment CPC returns my call in which I offer myself up for membership.

Ira

William_G

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
St. Andrews or Tara Iti
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »
St. Andrews or Tara Iti

These were my first two thoughts as well.

Unfortunately ny wife has both feet stuck firmly in Traverse City.  Had I realized that, I'd have done more to save High Pointe.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
St. Andrews or Tara Iti

These were my first two thoughts as well.

Unfortunately ny wife has both feet stuck firmly in Traverse City.  Had I realized that, I'd have done more to save High Pointe.

I suggested St. Andrews which she really enjoyed after she rejected North Berwick on the theory it is a bit larger and has the University. Still opposed to overseas for family reasons. But I am going to sneak up on her next with Dublin, a city she loved and one with more direct flights to the US.

Ira

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »
The London heathlands sounds like a nice place to live.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Dornoch in the summer.
Bordeaux in the fall and spring.

Still figuring out the winter part as we just cant stomach Florida.

The 5 year plan starts next year.

Kids? Oh, yeah....I forgot. Sure hope they will be ok...;-)

Stephen Davis

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »
I like the idea of switching between Tara Iti and St. Andrews.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »
I'll continue doing what have been doing. I live in a little golf/ski resort. The golf is probably C+ but I live two hours from Ballyhack and I go there two out of three weeks for two days at a time and play 36 each of those days. I go to Hidden Creek two or three times a year for five days each. Same with Dormie. I spend five weeks in Summit County skiing every year. I play golf at the European Club for ten days every year. I'll keep what I have.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bernie Bell

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
When the time comes, might be interesting to load up a vehicle and vagabond golf all around the USA for a year or so.  Take a good look around and see what's what. 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
I'll continue doing what have been doing. I live in a little golf/ski resort. The golf is probably C+ but I live two hours from Ballyhack and I go there two out of three weeks for two days at a time and play 36 each of those days. I go to Hidden Creek two or three times a year for five days each. Same with Dormie. I spend five weeks in Summit County skiing every year. I play golf at the European Club for ten days every year. I'll keep what I have.

Dormie Club seems like a pretty good plan.

How is ski season going to work? Reservations?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Michael Wolf

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »
Chattanooga is getting better and better.

Four seasons of weather, but 12 months of golf. Hot in the summer but doesn't have the humidity or bugs of further South. Some good private clubs with diverse GCA and cultures. Plus Sweetens and Sewanee. Hilton Head, Sea Island and Pinehurst all the perfect distance for long weekends.

Growing economy but d[/size]oesn't have the traffic of Atlanta or Nashville. Really low cost of living. Seems like decent local governance. And I think it's a pretty part of the country.Michael

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »

Dormie Club seems like a pretty good plan.

How is ski season going to work? Reservations?

Ski season at all Vail resorts is by reservation. You can only hold seven reservations at a time. It might get tricky on weekends when my son and grandchildren will ski with me. Only two unrelated skiers can get on either a quad or six-person chair. Skiers must wear a face covering. Arapahoe Basin is limiting ticket sales to reduce the number of skiers.
The ski area where I live is limiting access to the chair lifts to related folks or singles only.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

peter_mcknight

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
You would have to be an absolute and total idiot to retire to California.  The taxes alone will kill you.  California only works if you are already well placed in the 1% and the taxes don't seem to bother one.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »

Tom,

Head out to Lake County during the summer to play Mt Massive for the fun of it. My sister lives in Leadville. Playing at almost 10,000 feet above sea level is something different. Perhaps ironically, Breckinridge is where my wife would like to spend summers. Wonderful for lots of reasons except perhaps the golf although the Breckinridge Municipal course is not bad.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back