News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re: Where would you?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »
How does one answer this question without knowing the budget?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
I'll continue doing what have been doing. I live in a little golf/ski resort. The golf is probably C+ but I live two hours from Ballyhack and I go there two out of three weeks for two days at a time and play 36 each of those days. I go to Hidden Creek two or three times a year for five days each. Same with Dormie. I spend five weeks in Summit County skiing every year. I play golf at the European Club for ten days every year. I'll keep what I have.

Tom,

Head out to Lake County during the summer to play Mt Massive for the fun of it. My sister lives in Leadville. Playing at almost 10,000 feet above sea level is something different. Perhaps ironically, Breckinridge is where my wife would like to spend summers. Wonderful for lots of reasons except perhaps the golf although the Breckinridge Municipal course is not bad.

Ira

I have spent a lot of time in the CO mts in the summer and have played the course in Leadville and found it fun but not a course I would like to play every day. The 27 holes at Breck are really pretty good. I think I might spend more time their if memberships at the private clubs were more affordable. I have played most of the courses in Summit and Eagle counties. I do love golf in the mts.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ira Fishman

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »
I'll continue doing what have been doing. I live in a little golf/ski resort. The golf is probably C+ but I live two hours from Ballyhack and I go there two out of three weeks for two days at a time and play 36 each of those days. I go to Hidden Creek two or three times a year for five days each. Same with Dormie. I spend five weeks in Summit County skiing every year. I play golf at the European Club for ten days every year. I'll keep what I have.

Tom,

Head out to Lake County during the summer to play Mt Massive for the fun of it. My sister lives in Leadville. Playing at almost 10,000 feet above sea level is something different. Perhaps ironically, Breckinridge is where my wife would like to spend summers. Wonderful for lots of reasons except perhaps the golf although the Breckinridge Municipal course is not bad.

Ira

I have spent a lot of time in the CO mts in the summer and have played the course in Leadville and found it fun but not a course I would like to play every day. The 27 holes at Breck are really pretty good. I think I might spend more time their if memberships at the private clubs were more affordable. I have played most of the courses in Summit and Eagle counties. I do love golf in the mts.

Yes, the private clubs are crazy expensive given the short season. We really liked Red Sky (Norman) so checked out the cost. Never mind.

Ira

Stephen Davis

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »

Tom,

Ira

Yes, the private clubs are crazy expensive given the short season. We really liked Red Sky (Norman) so checked out the cost. Never mind.

Ira

My favorite by far is Frost Creek (other than Maroon Creek), but I am not sure what the membership cost are there though.

John Crowley

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
Summer in Dornoch with excursions to St Andrews.
Winter in Roma also with excursions, but would have to solve winter golf club question.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 06:36:18 PM »
For me, the people who live on Long Island in the summer and Manhattan the rest of the year have it the best --especially since even in the winter they can nip down to Archie's place on the Atlantic and still get a game. But that lifestyle seems quite 'exclusive' and hard to get. How does one go about getting it? [Anywhere in Manhattan is fine with me, I don't have a specific neighbourhood in mind; and almost any part of Long Island is good too, it doesn't have to be in the Hamptons specifically] Is it expensive -- I mean, you know, very expensive?

Ken Moum

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
My wife just the other day said we should move to Scotland. Our last two trips were six weeks and seven weeks.

If I thought we could pull it off, it would be Mesa AZ for ~7 month and the Highlands for 5. They're pretty serious about only staying six months, I think.

Given that both love Brora, an overseas membership there would be ideal. Highlands Council recip. rates are good enough that...well, I'll leave it there.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Emerson

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 09:14:11 PM »
I am dead set on retirement in Scotland.  After my first trip to Scotland I left with a couple realtors contact info.  I look almost daily.  A one or two bedroom flat close to a place that’s not overrun with tourist is just what I want.  Best part is the the wife said “I’m in!”.  I plan on living there from approximately May to September.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »
Two rental properties:

Summer - St Andrews - Student Rental property with a tenant 9 Months
Winter - Pawleys Island SC - Beach Rental property with weekly rentals May - October
Rest of year travel and Airbnb

Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Crowley

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
You would have to be an absolute and total idiot to retire to California.  The taxes alone will kill you.  California only works if you are already well placed in the 1% and the taxes don't seem to bother one.
Must be what they are saying on that cable “news” channel.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 01:02:28 PM »
St. Andrews or Tara Iti

These were my first two thoughts as well.

Unfortunately ny wife has both feet stuck firmly in Traverse City.  Had I realized that, I'd have done more to save High Pointe.

I suggested St. Andrews which she really enjoyed after she rejected North Berwick on the theory it is a bit larger and has the University. Still opposed to overseas for family reasons. But I am going to sneak up on her next with Dublin, a city she loved and one with more direct flights to the US.

Ira

If it's a larger city, then how about Edinburgh? Train from Haymarket station to No. Berwick is 45-60 mins, if I'm not mistaken.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
My wife just the other day said we should move to Scotland. Our last two trips were six weeks and seven weeks.

If I thought we could pull it off, it would be Mesa AZ for ~7 month and the Highlands for 5. They're pretty serious about only staying six months, I think.

Given that both love Brora, an overseas membership there would be ideal. Highlands Council recip. rates are good enough that...well, I'll leave it there.

Brora had some unbelievable membership deals early on in Covid -- not sure if they still exist.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ira Fishman

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
For me, the people who live on Long Island in the summer and Manhattan the rest of the year have it the best --especially since even in the winter they can nip down to Archie's place on the Atlantic and still get a game. But that lifestyle seems quite 'exclusive' and hard to get. How does one go about getting it? [Anywhere in Manhattan is fine with me, I don't have a specific neighbourhood in mind; and almost any part of Long Island is good too, it doesn't have to be in the Hamptons specifically] Is it expensive -- I mean, you know, very expensive?

Peter,

Very is not a strong enough term. A couple of years ago our daughter's first job out of college was with a terrific non profit in Manhattan. She lived in not a "hot" part of Manhattan. It was a 5th Floor walk up that probably was smaller than 400 square feet. The rent still was $2275 per month. Rents have leveled off because of Covid but still expensive.

My wife and I both love NYC, but we figured out it was more cost effective to spend a few weeks a year in a decent hotel than to own or rent.

Ira

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
Tasmania, (Hobart) Melbourne a $55 flight away
St. Andrews-(so many side trips)

Realistically South Carolina is in the cards with the annual NZ/Aussie trip in Jan/Feb, and UK/northeast US trips in the warm weather.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 03:30:46 PM »

Peter,

Very is not a strong enough term. A couple of years ago our daughter's first job out of college was with a terrific non profit in Manhattan. She lived in not a "hot" part of Manhattan. It was a 5th Floor walk up that probably was smaller than 400 square feet. The rent still was $2275 per month. Rents have leveled off because of Covid but still expensive.

My wife and I both love NYC, but we figured out it was more cost effective to spend a few weeks a year in a decent hotel than to own or rent.

Ira
Yeah I haven't looked at prices since covid, but last summer played with a friend who is a Garden City member and after we went down to his house at Point Lookout which was less than 30 minutes drive and you are on the water. Weather was so much cooler than GCGC as well I thought it was a genius location for him. It isn't the Hamptons and thank god for that as the traffic and distance to travel there needs to be timed perfectly to not take forever. I'm sure Jeff W can tell us all about that. The day before I played at Maidstone and while a great place I can't imagine playing there unless you have a house there. It had to be over 2:15 hours from Garden City to Maidstone without traffic and 3 or more easily with. Of course you are in the Hamptons and loving life if you are a member at Maidstone so never going to be an issue, but that is a haul to get to.

Also the housing cost at Point Lookout wasn't obscene either. He bought a fixer upper for like 650k and put a couple hundred into it and is a very nice place now. Closer to airports and NYC by hours and great weather.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 03:38:17 PM »

Peter,

Ira
Yeah I haven't looked at prices since covid, but last summer played with a friend who is a Garden City member and after we went down to his house at Point Lookout which was less than 30 minutes drive and you are on the water. Weather was so much cooler than GCGC as well I thought it was a genius location for him. It isn't the Hamptons and thank god for that as the traffic and distance to travel there needs to be timed perfectly to not take forever. I'm sure Jeff W can tell us all about that. The day before I played at Maidstone and while a great place I can't imagine playing there unless you have a house there. It had to be over 2:15 hours from Garden City to Maidstone without traffic and 3 or more easily with. Of course you are in the Hamptons and loving life if you are a member at Maidstone so never going to be an issue, but that is a haul to get to.

Also the housing cost at Point Lookout wasn't obscene either. He bought a fixer upper for like 650k and put a couple hundred into it and is a very nice place now. Closer to airports and NYC by hours and great weather.

Jeff,

The couple of people I know who own in the Hamptons take the helicopter flights from Manhattan. Which is obvious evidence of how expensive it generally is there.

Ira

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 04:15:59 PM »

Ummm.. people live and work all their lives in the hustle, bustle and congestion of Manhattan....so they can live the fantasies we all posted on this thread, not to retire there.
prohibitively expensive to do, unless you already are in the game.
Once there I can see staying if you have the means, but to relocate from elsewhere?
better be hitting it out of the park, and able to stomach a LOT of traffic and aggravation.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 04:48:56 PM »
Lived on Long Island for 30 years and though not a member anywhere played almost all of the top clubs. Couldn't wait to leave and now very happy in AZ.
Be the ball

MKrohn

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2020, 06:31:42 PM »
Leaving aside being able to do winters one place and summers another, for me climate (temperate) is an important consideration.

This will take out massive parts of the US, Europe and all of Asia, given its either too cold or on the flip side too hot/humid. I then require somewhere English speaking, access to good/great golf, within 2-3 hours of an international airport/city.

Given where I have been the answer is Melbourne or the peninsulas, Southern California, Auckland (although the language aspect might count them out) or if you wanted to take a risk, the Western Cape in Sth Africa.

Ash Towe

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 01:25:46 AM »
What is the language issue with Auckland? Sure we may have an accent, to your ears but that is all.

Tara Iti for me. I am only 45 minutes away but the joining fee is the issue. Will be even more attractive when the two public courses to be built there are completed.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
What is the language issue with Auckland? Sure we may have an accent, to your ears but that is all.

Tara Iti for me. I am only 45 minutes away but the joining fee is the issue. Will be even more attractive when the two public courses to be built there are completed.
Ash, I think the New Zealand accent is one of the most pleasant ones in the english speaking world. I'll meet you at Tara Iti :D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
Harry Vardon apparently wanted to retire to Saunton. And presumably not play more than two rounds a day! :)
That was many decades ago however when SW England, the World even, was a different, quieter, more tranquil, slower paced place.
And whilst a combination of Saunton and Westward Ho has a strong attraction for me I’m not sure I could put up with the narrow roads and beach and holiday traffic during the summer season and at weekends and bank holidays during the rest of the year.
Same with a few other potential locations too. Be careful what you wish for, there are likely to be flip-sides as well.
If ever there was a need for a ‘Transporter-Teleporter’’ from Star Trek .... “Beam me up, Scotty”. :)
Atb

Tim Leahy

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:24 PM »
San Diego within city limits so you can get the resident rate at Torrey Pines. Best weather in the United States with many good public golf courses. 8)

Are you trying to get kicked off of GCA?

Kidding, but rare to see any praise of Southern California public golf around here, aside from Rustic. Torrey resident perks are one thing, but the real question is are you enough of a gambler to gain status at Barona so you can play Barona Creek for free or heavily discounted rates?
Club Barona card is free gets you 1/2 off greenfees. Lots of great twilight rates at good courses like Maderas, Coronado, Encinitas Ranch, Steele Canyon, etc. Our own Pete Lavalee belongs to Balboa I think.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2020, 02:10:41 AM »
San Diego within city limits so you can get the resident rate at Torrey Pines. Best weather in the United States with many good public golf courses. 8)

Are you trying to get kicked off of GCA?

Kidding, but rare to see any praise of Southern California public golf around here, aside from Rustic. Torrey resident perks are one thing, but the real question is are you enough of a gambler to gain status at Barona so you can play Barona Creek for free or heavily discounted rates?
Club Barona card is free gets you 1/2 off greenfees. Lots of great twilight rates at good courses like Maderas, Coronado, Encinitas Ranch, Steele Canyon, etc. Our own Pete Lavalee belongs to Balboa I think.

Pretty sure Barona tightened up discounts during Covid times. I think you have to be at least the third tier of their players club to get any savings now. Prior the lowest tier got you 20% off, not half.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 09:08:21 AM »
Northwest Ireland and it’s not even a tough choice. Already working on making it happen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back