News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Most important factor(s) in DeChambeau's WF performance
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 10:52:40 AM »
"To an extent every player is analytical, even a hacker like me. After 50 years of scuttling a golf ball around I've a good idea of how a ball reacts when struck a certain way or out of a certain lie. I also have a good idea on my own strengths and weaknesses and tend to play accordingly. All that comes from trial, error and observation. Every player is the same."

Niall -

I m not sure it I agree with the final line of your comment. Based on what I have observed and experienced over the years, many handicap golfers (even low handicaps) are poor course managers. They don't take enough club, they try low-percentage shots, they go for the green when they should be pitching out sideways. So often have I heard someone say "I didn't come all this way to lay up" when I suggest they should do so.

Tommy Armour tells the story in his book of guiding a handicap golfer thru a round, forcing him to play the conservative high-percentage shot when the golfer wanted to do otherwise. The golfer winds up shooting the best score of his life. While that story may or may not be true, its message is.

The pros are far better course managers than the average handicap golfers. Bryson is possibly a better course manager than his peers.

DT 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »
Tom and Tai,

I'm not seeing any flattening of swing plane while that would be a valid presumption.

He is iron Bryson, same swing plane every club
claiming "iron bryson" from a different thread

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »
Tom and Tai,

I'm not seeing any flattening of swing plane while that would be a valid presumption.

Right. Haven’t seen much  discussion of the lie angles of his irons. My understanding is that they are more than 3 degrees upright. That does not track with a flatter plane.

That upright lie does agree with the Moe Norman style swing with the hands higher at address.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »
So let me ask one hypothetical question of those who say it is basically just a matter of who executes best that week:

If:

1.  Mark Broadie (and if my memory is correct some student's at MIT's Sloan School) had never invented/created the "strokes gained" concept, and

2.  A single PGA Tour player ("XYZ") invented/created the "strokes gained" concept and kept it a total secret from everyone else on Tour (for sake of argument, assume that he hired a bunch of analysts who did all the data manipulation, computer software etc. and they all had signed confidentiality agreements that kept them from revealing what they were working on etc.)

Do you think XYZ's performance would improve relative to the performance of others on the PGA Tour?

Execution is a result...and it is the process that gets you there.

John Crowley

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 09:58:06 AM »
Tom and Tai,

Right. Haven’t seen much  discussion of the lie angles of his irons. My understanding is that they are more than 3 degrees upright. That does not track with a flatter plane.

That upright lie does agree with the Moe Norman style swing with the hands higher at address.

Good point, the hand position can counterbalance the plane.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »
So let me ask one hypothetical question of those who say it is basically just a matter of who executes best that week:

If:

1.  Mark Broadie (and if my memory is correct some student's at MIT's Sloan School) had never invented/created the "strokes gained" concept, and

2.  A single PGA Tour player ("XYZ") invented/created the "strokes gained" concept and kept it a total secret from everyone else on Tour (for sake of argument, assume that he hired a bunch of analysts who did all the data manipulation, computer software etc. and they all had signed confidentiality agreements that kept them from revealing what they were working on etc.)

Do you think XYZ's performance would improve relative to the performance of others on the PGA Tour?

Execution is a result...and it is the process that gets you there.

Paul,

That's a interesting way to look at, and its even possible BDC has already developed some next level way to process and evaluate stats that forms his m/o to how he currently plays.

But having a burning desire and dedication to learn, study, absorb, practice, play, and create a successful formula will only get one so far.  Bryson was no doubt already a dominant player long before the Tour when he became US Am and NCAA Champ.

So while I agree that the process is important, its the ability to execute that separates good players from the greats, and greats from becoming elites who can make it on the PGA Tour...but ultimately its the ability to execute that gets you there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back