News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Road trip assistance requested...Trip Complete
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:12:02 AM »
I'm driving from Northwest Indiana to Pinehurst for a golf trip with friends next month. I will be arriving before them and will have time for a round before they get there. 
Camargo was my first choice but it's out. I will put a small amount of effort securing a time at Holston Hills.  If that fails, Im curious if there is anything wonderful I'm unaware of that somebody knows of.
I'm willing to go out of the way, but not too far. Thank you for your help:)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:23:52 PM by Steve Salmen »

David_Tepper

Re: Road trip assistance requested
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Sweetens Cove is just off of interstate 24, but may be a little out of your way.

https://sweetenscovegolfclub.com/

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 12:47:25 AM »
Idle Hour and Valhalla are going to be the two best in Kentucky. Otter Creek is pretty close to I65 in Columbus.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »
Steve -

I would suggest putting the pedal to the metal and just getting to Pinehurst faster.  ;D
H.P.S.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »
Old White at the Greenbrier. Primland probably a bit under an hour off of 77 but it is a really cool place. For both if you are late in October, the weather could get cool.

Ira

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 07:39:53 AM »
Steve,
I'm happy to arrange Holston Hills (assume that's where you meant) if you want to play there. Just send me a message on here with your specifics.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
Steve,
I'm happy to arrange Holston Hills (assume that's where you meant) if you want to play there. Just send me a message on here with your specifics.

WOW!!!! That’s a very gracious offer and is indicative of the generosity of many on this board. Well played. :)

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »
Steve,

WOW!!!! That’s a very gracious offer and is indicative of the generosity of many on this board. Well played. :)

Yes, Tucky is alright.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
Steve,

Thanks, but it's relatively minor when I consider the generosity of others I've met on this site.

Most all of us like to share our golf courses like like-minded individuals. GCA just provides a good vetting tool.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »
Primland is really, really cool, but really, really expensive, and a little bit hard to get to.  If none of that matters, it's worth seeing.
In the same general area is the River Course in Blacksburg, which is far less expensive and certainly worth seeing.
I haven't seen Holston Hills, but from everything I've heard and read over the years, that seems like a clear Option 1 if you can work it out.
The thing that you didn't mention is what you have or have not played in the Pinehurst area already, and/or what you are playng this time.  It is VERY hard for me to tell anybody to play anything else other that 1-5 at Pinehurst if they're going to be there and haven't seen them before; the place is a cathedral of golf.  And going beyond that, I'm such a fan of Tobacco Road, that I'd have a hard time not telling you to see it if you haven't already.
One other note:  If you haven't already, be sure to play The Cradle at Pinehurst.  You'll never have more fun playing golf than doing that with buddies and beer after a day at Pinehurst; it's just silly, crazy fun.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

V_Halyard

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
Steve -

I would suggest putting the pedal to the metal and just getting to Pinehurst faster.  ;D
LOL - I am looking for the Pat Craig voice on my WAZE right now.  "At the Roundabout, stay the hell on the highway."
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
Thank you for your help. I thought about what Pat wrote previously. It's like 12 1/2 hours of driving. No matter what time I leave I won't have time for 18.  I drive slow and lose an hour.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »
Steve -

LOL - I am looking for the Pat Craig voice on my WAZE right now.  "At the Roundabout, stay the hell on the highway."

I'm obviously just joking around...plenty of good golf on the way!

I've done that drive from Chicago to Pinehurst. It's a pretty good hike but some nice scenery. Have fun!
H.P.S.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
The other day I was driving home with my 9 yo daughter.  She asked me, "If you could be remembered for one thing, would it be bravery, kindness, or being adventuresome?"  I thought about it and answered, "Kindness.  There is nothing more important than how you treat people."

I want to thank everyone for their acts of kindness in trying to help me.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
Second the Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech.  Fun out and back Pete Dye routing along a river.  Plays firm in late fall too.  Underrated university course.

JJShanley

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
Second the Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech.  Fun out and back Pete Dye routing along a river.  Plays firm in late fall too.  Underrated university course.

I played PDRC@VT on Labor Day weekend last year and loved it. I hadn't played a Pete Dye course during my time in Indiana, but I enjoyed the visual deception.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 08:21:50 PM »
Primland is very very good...but by far the best course along the way (aside from Camargo) is Old Town Club in Winston Salem....fastest route from NW IND should take you right by OTC. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
The GC of Tennessee just outside of Nashville is a surprisingly good Fazio on an A+ piece of land.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
I wouldn't turn down John's fantastic offer to play at Holston Hills, but another option to consider is Moraine CC in Dayton, OH. It's right on your fastest route, and it's every bit as good if not better than you might expect based on the beautiful photos in Ran's review:
https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/moraine-country-club/

You might consider playing Moraine on the way down and Holston Hills on the way back (or vice versa).  Have a wonderful trip!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 07:08:01 AM »
I recently inquired about playing Moraine and was told they are currently allowing no outside guests. 

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »
Roaring Gap Club would be a good one to check out. It's only about two and a half hours from Pinehurst and about 20 miles/30 minutes on the other side of I-77 in NC, so it wouldn't be that far out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:44:10 AM by Dean DiBerardino »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
What Pinehurst area courses are you playing?

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tobacco Road, that would be my first choice

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Salmen

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
The road trip is complete.  On the way I played Holston Hills and Old Town Club.  I thought they were both excellent.  Not a bad hole out of 36.  Obviously OTC is a more severe piece of land and Holston will provide flatter stances.  The greens at both courses were both somewhere between 9-10.5.  I did not feel in danger of putting off any greens, and putting is not my strong suit.

In Pinehurst, I was with 3 guys not super into golf, just out for a good time.  We played Mid Pines, Pinehurst 6, 8, and 2.  It is really incredible how good #2 is.  I had not played it since restoration.  It looks beautiful and plays like a beast.  I drove straight home without playing another round of golf.

Thank you all for helping me with ideas and access. Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back