News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

The allure of a great golf club culture
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
Ran has written eloquently in his 147 Custodians of the Game essay on the appealing features that most draw him to one golf course versus another.  When he first published this essay, I connected with it immediately.  My view of golf has always been that it is supposed to be fun.  Searching for golf balls in high grass, trying to navigate narrow playing corridors that lack playing angles and strategy, and losing multiple golf balls during one’s round in water hazards does not meet the standard of “fun” in my eyes.  A de facto definition of a good golf course for me would be if you completed a morning round and were enjoying your lunch, you either can’t wait to get back out there for another 18, or you’ve had enough and want to head home. Ran's list represents 147 that meet that definition.

Ran’s public recognition of these 147 Custodians of the Game got me thinking about how we might view the culture of a golf club and the role the club’s culture plays in one’s overall experience there.  That caused me to think about what are the most important (to me) cultural aspects of a golf club I would be most pleased to visit or to be considered for membership.

For my taste, the golf clubs with the most alluring cultures are those with a deep appreciation for GOLF.  In short, the golf must be revered and respected.  The club culture must respect the game’s rules, customs, courtesies and traditions.

The best clubs take great care in selecting their members, only opening their doors to those who love the game of golf with this same passion.  The members of those clubs share a deep love for the game and an enduring respect for their fellow members.  Clubs such as these desire and demand dress codes that convey the respect the members share for one another (if you have to be told to take your hat off once inside the building, you’re probably on borrowed time there).  Clubs such as these don’t permit the culture of their club to be conformed to the (constantly declining) social standards of the 21st century (leave your cell phone in your car when you arrive, and don’t you dare intrude on the quiet walk through nature others are enjoying by blasting music from speakers during the round), but rather represent a breath of fresh air, a welcome respite to the undesirable “noise” that invades our lives from seemingly every direction. 

The grandest clubs have memberships that still celebrate the honor of the game, and hold themselves accountable to this admirable standard.  The honor of the game is undoubtedly supported and cultivated by following the Rules of Golf.  Learning the Rules of Golf helps one understand that golf (like life) is not fair, but a world without rules is chaos.  Golf clubs without thoughtful rules can quickly erode into chaos. 

Many of the world’s best clubs encourage and promote giving something back to the game.  There are countless ways to accomplish this and developing a clear mission to achieve this objective will build club unity and pride in the mission.

But in the end, it always comes down to the people.  The clubs with the most admired cultures come armed with a small army of like-minded people.  Clubs which enjoy memberships who work together and respect one another as they share their golf course and mutual love of the game will prosper.  Clubs which are careless in managing their membership roster and their mission risk experiencing culture drift and worse, the potential for losing the type of member they sought to attract in the first place through not remaining devoted to their core values.

Club culture is everything.  Those who are fortunate enough to hold a membership at a club with a true golf culture are fully aware of the joy one feels when visiting these great golf destinations. Club culture is hard to create and far too easy to lose.  Maybe someone will author a list of the 147 Cultural Custodians of the Game.  That list would be just as coveted as Ran’s original custodians list.

TS 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:06:54 PM by Ted Sturges »

CMP

Re: The allure of a great golf club culture
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
I'd be very interested to see the delta between this list and the "custodians" or other "top 100" lists - clubs that choose members based primarily (or at least to a large extent) on an appreciation for golf.

I'd imagine it would eliminate some of the old guard places that have turned into caricatures of themselves over the decades, but include more of the new places (Dunes Club, Ohoopee, Sand Hills)

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
This is excellent.  And I couldn't agree more.
However, it may, as you suggest, require a new list, separate from Ran's list of 147 Custodians of the Game.  I have no objection to Ran's list.  He obviously is entitled to his opinion, and his is a very good list based upon the criteria he sets.
But I think that a list of the "Cultural Custodians of the Game" might well have a greater number of the classic, old, "big name" clubs that are not on Ran's list.  It is my experience that these clubs have become revered, emulated and sought-after because of their commitment to the culture items you suggest.  There are real reasons they are held in such high esteem.
So, again, I am not down-playing Ran's list based on his own personal criteria, but I suspect I'd rather personally be a member of the clubs that would result from a list of the Cultural Custodians of the Game based on your criteria.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:31:52 PM by Jim Hoak »

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »
Reading the post by CMP, which was posted while I was typing, it is obvious that we have a difference of opinion.  Of course, without naming exact names and examples, it is hard to argue in generalities.  But I believe that many of the "old guard" clubs that he criticizes uphold your criteria much more than many of the newer clubs.  That is one reason they are so sought after.
So--agree to disagree!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 03:47:52 PM »
Those of us from small town America might see it another way.  I think back to our little club and Dad's buddies: a retired postman,  a Sonic franchisee,  a bank president,  the owner of the Ben Franklin 5 & 10, the high school football coach, the owner of a cotton gin, the owner of the local radio station, a manufacturing shift foreman, a photographer, a dry-cleaner, a farmer, an optometrist and an insurance agent among others.  Basically if you could front the $100 and pay $15/month you and your family were in. 

The culture was show up and play quickly with as few or as many players as you could group together.  Let faster players through. Rules knowledge was irrelevant as long as everybody hit it, found it and hit it again.  Poor maintenance so jack it up anywhere.  One or two beers after the round, or more likely a Country Time Lemonade and Stewart Sandwich.

The closest we ever came to a common culture was when the gin operator received a box full of truckers hats and everyone on the course wore the orange Liquid Lightning Fertilizer hats.  Then again, the club always held an annual "follies" for a fund raiser.  Dad always gave a Will Rogers monologue patterned after James Whitmore.  Dad even learned how to lasso a rope.  Now that's culture.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
There is only one rule about club culture and it is very much in line with Patrick Mucci's old standard:

He who builds the course makes the rules about club culture.

Per Bogey's point, I did not grow up in any golf club at all, and though I started going to the best [and sometimes the stuffiest] clubs in America at the age of 19 and 20, it took me a lot longer to be comfortable at them.  But I would never have thought of telling them to do it differently.  Likewise, there are some features of the "cool" newer clubs that I really like and some that I absolutely don't, but I'm just going to accept them for what they are and not worry about it. 

Clubs that have to publish their dress code just strike me as wrong right off the bat.  It seems like it would be pretty rare for a visitor to Winged Foot or Crooked Stick not to understand the expectations, but if they didn't, they should not be met with hostility.  I suppose a club has to deal with the members' kids and that could be a problem, but again, the problem would best be handled by addressing the member or parent afterward.  The people sitting at another table who are offended by my choice of footwear, should really find better things to occupy their time.

At St. Patrick's I will get to make some of the rules, and though it's more of a destination than a club, rule #1 is that I'd like for everyone there to be comfortable and feel like they can be themselves.  And that might be the only rule we need.

CMP

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »

Reading the post by CMP, which was posted while I was typing, it is obvious that we have a difference of opinion.  Of course, without naming exact names and examples, it is hard to argue in generalities.  But I believe that many of the "old guard" clubs that he criticizes uphold your criteria much more than many of the newer clubs.  That is one reason they are so sought after.
So--agree to disagree!

Jim, apologies, allow me to clarify: I should have emphasized the "SOME" in my statement of:

<<eliminate some of the old guard places>>
The point I was attempting to make is that the same factors that bring a club to the '147' make it desirable - including to folks who may not have such a deep appreciation for the game and it's traditions. And there are certain places on the '147' where a deep appreciation of the game is not... "entirely necessary" for admission... if one has the right resources.

Hopefully that clears up what I was trying to say - again, we're in agreement!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:26:12 PM by CMP »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:50:18 PM »
With regard to Rans 147 Custodians, an important aspect is the preamble to the listing. Always worth a re-read.
As to club culture, there’s a good chance that if most of the members know who the committee even are there’s something wrong with the club.

Atb

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
TS -
when the respect and good-will we show one another is based not on our incomes or professions or gender or connections or age or race or even our shot-making skills but instead solely on our shared love of the game, a golf course is a truly wonderful place to be.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:28:42 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
Tom Doak ... +1

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 06:43:16 AM »
I’ve come around on music out on the golf course provided that it’s played at reasonable volume levels. Is it really a culture killer?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »
Is wearing your hat in the locker room or pro shop or on a patio really rude thing to do?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
Is the degree of a club's exclusivity correlated with "a deep appreciation for GOLF"?  Positively or negatively?  I wonder how much of the content of the typical "ten letters of recommendation" have anything to do with golf.

From 147 preamble:  A club that emphasizes the simple game of golf beats one which pursues the trappings of status.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:20:42 AM by Bernie Bell »

MKrohn

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »
I’ve come around on music out on the golf course provided that it’s played at reasonable volume levels. Is it really a culture killer?

Its a culture flag rather than a killer, play music, wear hats in the clubhouse, do whatever you want on the theory that the rights of the individual should always usurp those of the rest..........or not in my world.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 08:54:26 AM »

Its a culture flag rather than a killer, play music, wear hats in the clubhouse, do whatever you want on the theory that the rights of the individual should always usurp those of the rest..........or not in my world.

M-I’m a fan of culture, history and decorum too. I just think that under certain circumstances music is ok for some casual rounds. I absolutely understand those that are not fans and it took some time for me to change my position.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:56:19 AM by Tim Martin »

Ted Sturges

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »

M-I’m a fan of culture, history and decorum too. I just think that under certain circumstances music is ok for some casual rounds. I absolutely understand those that are not fans and it took some time for me to change my position.

I just don't think one should have the right to make that decision (music) for everyone within earshot of them.  Respecting others would lead one to assume that not everyone wants music, and doing it anyway certainly makes a statement.  I've also seen lots of young people practicing with earbuds in...effectively "tuning out" everyone around them.  When I was that age, I was lucky to be at a club where several older members took an interest in me...mentored me...and if I had earphones on I would have whiffed that opportunity.

I guess I'm old fashioned.  I'm a fan of face to face human interaction.

TS
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:11:47 AM by Ted Sturges »

Ted Sturges

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:09:29 AM »
TS -
when the respect and good-will we show one another is based not on our incomes or professions or gender or connections or age or race or even our shot-making skills but instead solely on our shared love of the game, a golf course is a truly wonderful place to be.

Amen Brother

Jason Thurman

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
I'm with Tim and Mike. I pull my hat off as I walk through doors out of habit, and I don't generally play music myself on the course. But I also don't mind it, in my group or from others, as long as the volume isn't ridiculous (admittedly not always the case). And it doesn't ruin my day to see a hat worn inside.

I do like a strong club culture, and there are absolutely club cultures I love that have the level of formality that Ted desires. I wouldn't bring a Bluetooth speaker to Cherry Hills. But it certainly doesn't diminish Kingsley's golf-obsessed culture when there's music playing on the driving range, either. Although it should be noted that even Kingsley's tiny and spartan clubhouse has nails outside to hang your hat on.

I completely agree with Ted in that I want a club focused on golf, with a savvy and deep appreciation for the game. But I don't buy that stuffiness has to go hand in hand with it. I can have a great time playing along in a stuffy spot, but as usual, I more relate to Bogey's take. Some of my favorite golf cultures are found at places that take all comers and charge next-to-nothing for dues. If I use my own club as an example, you don't join Miami View to boast that you're a member of an exclusive joint, or for the pool, tennis, and formal dining that we don't have available. You join because you love playing golf. And once you join, a plethora of tournaments, outings, leagues, and open games on offer make for both ample opportunity to play with other members, and a busy course that's hard to get out onto at ideal times unless you Buddy Up! and take advantage of the aforementioned tournaments, outings, leagues, and open games.

It's sort of a virtuous cycle: attract golf-minded members, provide welcoming and fun opportunities for those members to play with other members, and pretty soon you have new members who've plugged into your competitive golf-focused culture hanging out around the 19th hole, and maybe bringing a buddy with them now and then who eventually decides to submit a membership application, starting the cycle all over again.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
It's not a " Custodian of the Game" and it's not Blind Brook, Old Elm, Squires or others of that ilk but Walnut Lane, a Philly muni, has a club culture for the 99% not unlike Bogey's description....

Walnut Lane, a Philadelphia muni, is a sanctuary for a diverse cast of characters

https://golf.com/news/features/philadelphia-muni-sanctuary-diverse-characters/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Thanks Steve. Great article well worth the two-minute read. Any club that has narrowly avoided a fight over a game of Tonk is one I'd love to visit.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Craig Disher

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I don't know if it's a culture killer but I do know it doesn't belong on a golf course. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »

My private club of 30 years has a growing reputation as a “party” club. I grew up at public courses and muni’s. Certain issues of decorum like music bother me. Seeing someone on the range in flip flops and basketball shorts bothers me. But I’ve learned to accept it. Our club is financially sound and I’ve come to realize I’m in the minority. It’s not about me it’s about the entire club and what people want from it. I’m just a little old school.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
Seems to me club rules should be based around, "Does it affect you?"

If a guy wants to wear his hat in the clubhouse or flip flops on the range or put a cooler loaded with beer on his cart?  What do I care, have at it.

Music thou....  I have a buddy who listened to non-stop music when we would play, but he did it with ear buds and that was great.  But playing it over speakers where it does affect everyone around them, not a fan.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
My former club, founded in 1990 in the Philly 'burbs, had a membership once described in  a magazine article as a " cross between The Sopranos and Animal House"   ;D

The course was and is highly rated and ranked in GD " Best in State"
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
Take care of the course, play fast and be polite, particularly to staff. 

That takes care of 98% of what I care about. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back