News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

corey miller

Re: Oakland Hills Renovation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »

When it comes to member playability is the sweet spot really cutting down trees and tightened fairways with longer juicier rough?

Always do a double take when i see wider playing corridors (from felling trees) with more narrow fairways with high green grass.  Of course, perhaps the rough is easier to "maintain" when the trees come down and you add irrigation for more consistency.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
PR Machine in full force.

Honestly, I have no freaking idea why anyone would want to belong to a club that hosts PGA level golf tournaments.

These crazy projects with $12mln+  :o  budgets...for what?? Clubs like Oakland Hills should learn from past mistakes? They chased trends in the 50's by hiring Trent Jones to test golf professionals then in the 00's they hired Rees Jones to attract a US Open and along the way they screwed up the course.

I'm sure Gil & team made the better. But would it had cost $12mln if they weren't so concerned about a US Open? I don't know. It all seems a little silly to me.
H.P.S.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »

Honestly, I have no freaking idea why anyone would want to belong to a club that hosts PGA level golf tournaments.

These crazy projects with $12mln+  :o  budgets...for what?? Clubs like Oakland Hills should learn from past mistakes? They chased trends in the 50's by hiring Trent Jones to test golf professionals then in the 00's they hired Rees Jones to attract a US Open and along the way they screwed up the course.

I'm sure Gil & team made the better. But would it had cost $12mln if they weren't so concerned about a US Open? I don't know. It all seems a little silly to me.

How does the Hanse work compare to the original Ross design in terms of routing and hazards? It is the Members' money so they can spend it as they see fit, but if the course was changed for the worse twice, why do we assume that this time is different?

Ira

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

How does the Hanse work compare to the original Ross design in terms of routing and hazards? It is the Members' money so they can spend it as they see fit, but if the course was changed for the worse twice, why do we assume that this time is different?

Ira

I really have no idea how the work stacks up to Ross' original design. Certainly more than a few years ago but I doubt this would be considered a restoration?

Of course it's the club's money. I just made a comment that I have no idea why you would want to be a member at a club where hosting a major tournament is the priority, not necessarily member enjoyment, especially at such an extraordinary cost.
H.P.S.

Mike Schott

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »

I doubt the members see it as you do. For decades the RTJ version was among the top 20-30 (or higher) rated courses in the US and whether or not you agree, it's important to the members. Prestige baby. Plus they have a second, very fine course on the north side of Maple Road.

No matter how you think, the beauty of the course is in it's routing. The topography of the course is great. I do not think that Hanse has changed the routing.

Tom Fussell

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
I'd say that Winged Foot and Merion having just completed their major renovations had to be part of the motivation.   Also, followed by Baltusrol last fall!

Brent Carlson

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »

Ira

Ira,

I think it's consistent with the original design by Ross.  The other OH thread on the front page has the original routing, which hasn't changed.  Like Mike said routing and topography are the strengths of the course.  I understand that Hanse's plans take into account what Ross drew up before he passed away in 48, a few years before Jones redesigned the course. 

To my eye the vistas look incredible.  The open nature will be more highlighted when the fescue grows in.  The scale of the bunkers also fit the scale of the property much better now.  The south course is a very expansive property.  Fairway bunkers are now more consistent with rolls in the property rather than specific yardages.  If you compare the old green entries to the new there is now a way for members to run the ball onto the greens.  This is a really cool restoration IMO.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »
I know the South occupies a vast property, but I'm surprised to read the revamped course could stretch to almost 8,000 yards. Wow.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back