News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Narrated drone coverage of Olympia Fields North
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
One of the best in Chicagoland gets ready to host the BMW Championship. I’ll hazard to say that 30 under won’t win and 18 under won’t fetch 18th place.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/8/24/video-olympia-fields-north-drone-tour#commenting=
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark_Fine

Re: Narrated drone coverage of Olympia Fields North
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
Terry,
Played there several times including last year.  It is gettable but you are right, it won't take 30 to win  :)  I am not sure how hard they will have the set up but I do love the golf course. It is a fabulous design and is blessed with an amazing piece of topography.   The third and fourteenth holes are two of the best on the planet.   Many of the greens have false fronts which does limit hole locations and is probably a nightmare for weaker golfers.  It is a shotmakers course and demands precision off the tee and into the greens.  The course was set up hard the day we played it with 5" rough and firm greens.  If that is the case this year, low double digits will win.   I am not enamored, however, with the South. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:24:07 AM by Mark_Fine »

Joel Pear

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
Terry, are they playing the actual routing, or the US Open routing?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
Original routing will be played.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:15:16 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Flory

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
"From all the way back, feel free to buy a Metra ticket."  good line

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »
Enjoyed watching this video, which brought back a ton of memories.

I would say that the drone footage does a disservice to the course.  Much of the mystique of the north is due to the sight lines.  On the 3rd, from ground level, you don't see the landing area, which makes the shot that much more daunting.  The same kind of perspective issue applies at the 14th on the approach, as well as a few other holes.  While very cool to have the overhead shots, it doesn't give you the true nature of the North.

Unlike Mark, I am a big fan of the South course.  It is a wonderful complement to the championship nature of the North, which has only been made that much harder for the higher handicap with the last round of changes.  For those that have to play a bit more of a ground game, the South is the better course with the ability to play run up shots on many holes and some great contours on the greens to give you a bit of John Kirk's "what happens after the ball hits the ground" aspect of the game.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »
One of the first US courses I played (many thanks again to my host on the day) and a really good introduction to why US parkland courses are so much better than UK parklands.  Fabulous scale and great land movement.  I'm really looking forward to watching this.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
"...18 under won’t fetch 18th place." 

A quote from someone who hasn't played this course over the last 6 weeks.  The rough out there is brutal. 
18 under will win by 5.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »

Fried Egg talks with Andy Staples about OF in a new series

https://youtu.be/4OBVFgfZQqs
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »

A quote from someone who hasn't played this course over the last 6 weeks.  The rough out there is brutal. 
18 under will win by 5.

I think you misunderstood the post. 

Peter Flory

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
The greens are rearing up.  Very interesting to watch so far.  It's formidable without being extreme or tricked out. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:38:49 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
Yes, and now we know that par is 'still relevant', at least at Olympia Fields -- 4th place and 2 behind the lead: 'right there'.
If it continues through the weekend, BMW should honour this old school scoring with a winner's bonus ie my favourite old school car: the 1975 BMW 2002, in mint green!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:22:46 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »
Yes, and now we know that par is 'still relevant', at least at Olympia Fields -- 6th place and 2 behind the lead 'right there'.
If it continues through the weekend, BMW should honour this old school scoring with a winner's bonus ie my  favourite old school car: the 1975 BMW 2002, in mint green!

More fun to watch than the TPC style lather, rinse, repeat birdie assault. Course looks terrific.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 08:25:34 PM »

18 under will win by 5.

You misunderstood my post. I’m saying that Olympia will play a lot harder than last week. Great conditions. Great course.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
To be clear: Olympia North is the best test of professional golf in Chicago and the current conditions are making that very clear. Firm, fast, deep rough and an amazing layout will prove to be a great test this weekend.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
Those first 3 holes seem to a brutally hard start
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »
I'm not certain that the first hole should be included in a description of "a brutally hard start," even from the tee they built going back into the parking lot. . . with the distances these guys hit the ball, there aren't many par 5s that can be called "brutally hard." Now the second, which was playing 480+, that's brutally hard, and three is one of the hardest holes in the Chicago District.

Love the fact that they've got OFN playing hard and fast. Hoping the 40% chance of rain tomorrow falls in the 60% side. . . I, for one, enjoy watching the big kids have their games tested, and it was certainly a test today. I would second Sven's vote in favor of the South Course as well. It's hard to find a better day than 36 holes at Olympia Fields.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 05:44:23 AM »
To be clear: Olympia North is the best test of professional golf in Chicago and the current conditions are making that very clear. Firm, fast, deep rough and an amazing layout will prove to be a great test this weekend.
As biased as I am, this tournament I think will prove the above correct. It has been a while since the 03 US Open and because the first couple days saw Watson shoot 65 and Vijay 63, many thought it wasn't a worthy venue for majors. Although just a handful finished under par at the end.

We are really seeing the teeth of the course come out in these conditions (no rain please). Will be tough to get another PGA as that will be in May and the course wouldn't play this penal then due to soft conditions, but perhaps a US Open or Ryder/Presidents Cup.  Seeing as OFCC has aligned itself with the USGA more so than the PGA, a US Open perhaps? Will also be interesting if Medinah gets another PGA with May starts.

Some of the lines off the tee by these guys are truly amazing, but I think the course is showing up wonderfully to meet the challenge. Makes the city proud and certainly members.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 08:01:40 AM »
Guys,
The South is also blessed like the North with a beautiful piece of rolling topography, however, aesthetically the bunkering and the silly mounding are over the top.  It also has all those huge teeing grounds that are all elevated.  I would change those as well.  Sorry, but I think it needs a facelift and if done right it will improve significantly in my book. 

The North is playing as expected.  I just love the design.  Not only a great test of golf but also a great golf course.  As for the Pros, the rough is up which makes a huge difference and if it stays firm the scoring will remain tough. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
Guys,
The South is also blessed like the North with a beautiful piece of rolling topography, however, aesthetically the bunkering and the silly mounding are over the top.  It also has all those huge teeing grounds that are all elevated.  I would change those as well.  Sorry, but I think it needs a facelift and if done right it will improve significantly in my book. 

The North is playing as expected.  I just love the design.  Not only a great test of golf but also a great golf course.  As for the Pros, the rough is up which makes a huge difference and if it stays firm the scoring will remain tough. 

I believe they are considering significant work on South, with Andy Staples doing the work.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
For those who don't know, it's Butterfield Creek, not "Butter filled creek." :-\
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »
For those who don't know, it's Butterfield Creek, not "Butter filled creek." :-\

This is the same creek that meanders through the back nine at nearby Flossmoor Golf Club.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »
I kind of wondered what the point of that first fairway is on #3.  Not only are the pros bombing way over it but DJ ran thru the 2nd fairway yesterday. 

You could almost see Paul Azinger shaking his head as he spoke about bunkers on corners of doglegs that weren't even in play anymore...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 12:15:50 PM »
I kind of wondered what the point of that first fairway is on #3.  Not only are the pros bombing way over it but DJ ran thru the 2nd fairway yesterday. 

You could almost see Paul Azinger shaking his head as he spoke about bunkers on corners of doglegs that weren't even in play anymore...

Kalen:

This might come as a surprise to you, but not everyone bombs it off the tee.  There are a number of members for whom the 3rd is a three shot hole, would you suggest those players be forced to play out of the rough.  The hillside between the two fairway sections sees a good amount of action as well.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ken Fry

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
I agree OF provides one of the best 36 hole days you can find, especially in the Midwest.  The North provides the championship caliber challenge, the South more forgiveness and fun.

The front nine of the North course falls short for me, especially compared to my very high opinion of the back 9.  Hole #3 is an all world par 4.  Hole #5 has been lengthened away from a drive and pitch hole but at the expense of a ridiculous walk back to the tee from #4 green.  Hole #6 is a nice par 3 but then requires a walk back up the hill to the tee for #7 right next to #6 tees.  Finally you walk back again to reach the tee for #8 at 280 yards.  The flow over those holes is jarring in my opinion.  Challenging yes, enjoyable, no.

The back nine is blessed with better topography but also a much better variety of holes with varying lengths, movement and challenges.  Holes 11-17 are tough to beat!!

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back