News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Thurlestone
« on: August 19, 2020, 06:00:51 PM »
Anyone played this course in England?    It looks beautiful at a minimum. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:43:50 PM by Jason Topp »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Thurlestone
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM »
I know I've previously posted a few pics and a description but that search engine....

All world views including Burgh Island - familiar as a Agatha Christie setting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgh_Island

The whole area, South Hams,  is lovely if rather "Cotswoldy Twee". Out of season Dartmouth and Salcombe are well worth a visit, normally very crowded this time of year.

Thurlestone is one of the friendliest clubs I've visited.  It was originally a big budget Colt & Co job and was planned as the centrepiece of an early retirement/holiday village development that never really happened.

Ah the Golf you ask? Doak 3  these days. It's on heavy turf and not what it once was. I hope Adam looks into how they financed some of their work. Either they were on a %'tage of the money spent or just as likely there are few natural features to exploit on the gently rolling headland. The original design had more bunkers than Tandridge and Lytham combined. The aerials in the clubhouse show they were everywhere. Sadly economics has meant there are few left, robbing the course of most of the interest it might have had.  Still its a pleasant experience.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:13:44 AM »
Little bit complex. Club dates from 1897, course originally laid out by Charles Gibson of Westward Ho!

JH Taylor extended to 18 in 1911. Club bought its land for £4,700 in 1923 and hired Colt & Co in 1928 to remodel, including new land. They have his original plan in the clubhouse. Has been reworked slightly since by FW Hawtree and Donald Steel.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 06:20:55 AM »
All that, FWIW, is per the club. I've found very, very little corroboration. Need to talk to club and see what they have by way of archives.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 06:41:05 AM »
Little bit complex. Club dates from 1897, course originally laid out by Charles Gibson of Westward Ho!

JH Taylor extended to 18 in 1911. Club bought its land for £4,700 in 1923 and hired Colt & Co in 1928 to remodel, including new land. They have his original plan in the clubhouse. Has been reworked slightly since by FW Hawtree and Donald Steel.

In addition James Edwards (EDI Golf) has been working with the club recently

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back