News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Jackson Park GC ( 1930) in Seattle, WA possible development
« on: August 18, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
Seattle can house 35,000 people on Jackson Park Golf Course by building on 60 acres of fairway and converting the remaining 100 forested acres to public park space.
By the year 2025, you will be able to take a 15-minute train ride from Downtown Seattle to a stop adjacent to 160 acres of publicly-owned land. There is no housing here, no shops, no roads, and the property is operating in the red. I’m talking about Jackson Park Municipal Golf Course. Golf participation isn’t just down in Seattle, it’s down nationwide. Whether it’s the time commitment, or the high cost it takes just to buy equipment, golf is bleeding participants and city money and Seattle has yet to come to grips with this reality.The City of Seattle has begun to study what to do with excess publicly-owned property. Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda has brilliantly proposed leveraging surplus public properties for dense affordable housing. With the land already acquired, the city saves precious housing funds and gets to decide how it’s developed.
https://www.theurbanist.org/2020/05/27/lets-tee-off-for-housing/amp/

http://www.premiergc.com/-course
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:44:26 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daryl David

Re: Jackson Park GC ( 1930) in Seattle, WA possible development
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
“Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda has brilliantly proposed leveraging surplus public properties for dense affordable housing”

Brilliant and a Seattle City Council member are words seldom used in the same sentence.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:58:33 PM by Daryl David »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:11:46 PM »
“Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda has brilliantly proposed for dense affordable housing”

Brilliant and a Seattle City Council member are words seldom used in the same sentence.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
The course may be under utilized, because when the governor shut down golf, everyone in Seattle started travelling to Portland to play golf. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Zucker

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 05:52:24 PM »
This is sad to hear, but not too surprising given the climate in Seattle.  Zoning apartments to a maximum of 4 stories less than 3 miles from downtown is probably a larger issue though. 

This was my home course for the 3 years I lived in Seattle and the golf architecture world won't lose much if it goes away.  There are a few good holes (14 is the best), but also a lot of really awkward ones.  It's main selling feature is that it's close to the city and convenient. I'm not sure why they wouldn't tear up Interbay too, since that is even closer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back