News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

If Your Book is Overdue: the Postal Service
« on: August 14, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »
... Is indeed a mess.

I've had many inquiries this week from overseas customers for my book wondering where theirs has gone.  All of the international books were shipped USPS, so yesterday we found the tracking numbers to see what was up.

We found that books mailed in late July had been delivered to Chicago the next day and then sat there for three weeks! They are supposedly on their way overseas now, if you believe them.  I'm not sure I should.

The other solution is FedEx, but we are never quite sure what they will charge in the end . . . on Tuesday I got a bill for the book i had shipped to India . . . $540 for one book seems steep.

John Kavanaugh

Re: If Your Book is Overdue: the Postal Service
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
Thanks for changing the title. I don’t know if I was triggered, tantalized or titillated by the original version.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 04:00:28 PM »
But knowing of your radical political orientation, you'd be fine with doing the 2020 election by US mail, right?  ;)

BTW, I got mine in decent time.  Sorry to say, the book exposed my weaknesses in reading topos.  Also, especially in the early chapters, either I have trouble with the points of the compass or you had your maps turned sideways in pointing out parts of the routing, mistaking north for the orientation at the top of the page as you were looking at it.  Or just maybe, the USPS is having similar spatial disorientations.   

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »
Gentlemen,
The Gods of Golf grind slowly but exceedingly fine. No?

Since my plaintive plea on the other thread a week ago I have had two emails from USPS tracking my book. Neither give any indication whether the package moved from one sorting room to another or thousands of kilometres across the Pacific but move it did!
We will see! It would move a lot faster if it were a virus!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »

Also, especially in the early chapters, either I have trouble with the points of the compass or you had your maps turned sideways in pointing out parts of the routing, mistaking north for the orientation at the top of the page as you were looking at it.  Or just maybe, the USPS is having similar spatial disorientations.

The maps were not all oriented with north at the top, as I would prefer, but so they would fit on the page as big as possible.  I thought we had done decently on putting north arrows on them all.  But it's possible I screwed up a description or two . . . as good as I am at reading maps, I have very little sense of direction when I'm on site, hence the need to get good at reading maps!

As for voting by mail, I think voting should be as simple as possible - is that radical?  But it's clear that neither party wants everyone to vote; they both want to game the system in their own favor, which requires different tactics in different places.  Which is why neither side wants paper ballots, either.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
Tom,

My book arrived quickly enough to Canada, however I just received the last 3 editions of Golf Architecture Journal form Australia and it took a little more than 4 months to arrive!!

Tyler

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »
Tom, just fyi:Received Getting to 18 and two vols. of new Guide in TWO days via FedEx.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Good save JK
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:32:05 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:47 PM »
There is no shortage of places to discuss politics but this is the only place to talk about GCA. Let’s not blow it.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 03:46:20 AM »
No joy here since DeJoy's been there!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:05 AM »

As for voting by mail, I think voting should be as simple as possible - is that radical?  But it's clear that neither party wants everyone to vote; they both want to game the system in their own favor, which requires different tactics in different places.  Which is why neither side wants paper ballots, either.

Tom,

Perhaps I'm dense, but please explain to me how, independent of gerrymandering---which is about re-districting to protect a party seat constituency--how "neither party wants everyone to vote," or "why neither side wants paper ballots?" Please educate us.... inquiring minds want to know?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 08:09:43 AM »
Steve:

I will happily respond offline, to avoid hijacking my own thread.

The only political purpose here was to note some first hand experience of the postal service dragging their heels, in case that was in doubt.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
In Oregon and Washington, voting  by mail with paper ballots is not a partisan issue. It is just the right thing to do, and we wonder when the rest of the country is going to get out of the dark ages.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
In Oregon and Washington, voting  by mail with paper ballots is not a partisan issue. It is just the right thing to do, and we wonder when the rest of the country is going to get out of the dark ages.

I could not have come up with a better argument against a faceless, prone to mischief process to put our lives in the hands of the power hungry.  With due deference to JK, offering OR and WA for emulation must be your idea of a sick joke.  BTW, any thoughts on a new name for your neighbor to the north?  WN (Woke North) is available and allows for only a minor modification.     

JK,

I had some hopes for our generation, better educated, more prosperous, relatively unafflicted by wide existential threats, largely free to progress through Maslow's hierarchy, yet so increasingly disappointed with what it has created.  I don't know where the next "greatest" will come from or when, but I am doubtful that it will arise here from the ashes currently in the making.

As to Tom's dissatisfaction with the USPS, it is a big system operating under numerous conflicting objectives and mandates.  It has fewer monopoly protections than in the past and its comparative advantages beyond the sphere of political influence are minimal.  Outside of books and magazines, its impact on golf architecture is nil, and as more people do their reading online, this too will continue to decline.

Maybe Bezos and the new administration can do a JV along the Tesla model and just take over the whole thing.  There are enough Amazon vans going through my neighborhood several times a day that carrying first class mail shouldn't add much to the fixed costs.  And their drivers run out of their trucks to the door, a far cry from mail carriers in my neighborhood who won't deliver the mail if the mailbox is blocked by a parked car (which is OK with me as much of my mail goes directly into the trash or recycle bin).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
Lou,

Your a nice guy, hope you are dodging the virus in TX, your woke state. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
Hush!  You don't want to ruin my reputation and give more hope to those wishing to escape their failing states.   We've taken enough of them in that now Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Anton, and parts of the Valley think and speak Woke.  At least OR has Bandon Dunes to alleviate some of the madness.

But seriously, this virus thing has been a real bummer, though compared to many good people, we have had it easy.  I do miss all the travel I had planned, but I am playing a lot of golf (along with the 100+ members at my home club I had never seen before).  And as far as I can tell, my mail is being delivered as it always has, every day, six days a week.  We are so blessed.  If only people realized it.

John Crowley

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
There is no shortage of places to discuss politics but this is the only place to talk about GCA. Let’s not blow it.
+1!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
The elephant in the room with the USPS is that the fiscal solvency of the USPS is hamstrung by the Pension funding bill passed in 2006. It requires pre-funding and maintaining of 75 years of pension liabilities. The Bush Administration signed on the funding bill. The Letter Carriers Union is a strong well established bargaining unit and would be strongly opposed to any changes. I believe that Louis DeJoy is trying to find an economic model that works in a highly charged political environment while dealing with a massive economic liability. Not an easy job!

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
I believe that Louis DeJoy is trying to find an economic model that works in a highly charged political environment while dealing with a massive economic liability. Not an easy job!

And the timing isn’t suspicious at all.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »
... Is indeed a mess.

I've had many inquiries this week from overseas customers for my book wondering where theirs has gone.  All of the international books were shipped USPS, so yesterday we found the tracking numbers to see what was up.

We found that books mailed in late July had been delivered to Chicago the next day and then sat there for three weeks! They are supposedly on their way overseas now, if you believe them.  I'm not sure I should.

The other solution is FedEx, but we are never quite sure what they will charge in the end . . . on Tuesday I got a bill for the book i had shipped to India . . . $540 for one book seems steep.

That must be the same Chicago-area sorting center that had a package I was awaiting (an old issue of Golf World) sitting there for about three weeks before it made the final 10 miles from Florida to my house. Maddening. Maybe they lost the key to the front door.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

George Myers

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
same situation with shipping of golf clubs via USPS...
long delays with no update of status
indeed frustrating and vexing
some areas (chicago and detroit seem bad), and others seem unaffected
little rhyme or reason

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 02:27:47 PM »
Books?

Just send the PDF to me via DropBox so I can electronically distribute it across two digital platforms in my house and view it on our 58" kitchen flat screen while also reading the text on my iPad.

;D ;D

Saves the postage, the USPS issue, the speed of delivery issue, the tree issue...

:)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
Does something like this work well?  If so, I could see using it while cooking or doing yard work. 

YAKiToMe is one of the best online PDF to speech text convertor which will automatically transform text to speech. For every registered user, it is entirely open. Once registered, one can upload the PDF documents then this software will automatically convert PDF to speech into . mp3 file format.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
Does something like this work well?  If so, I could see using it while cooking or doing yard work. 

YAKiToMe is one of the best online PDF to speech text convertor which will automatically transform text to speech. For every registered user, it is entirely open. Once registered, one can upload the PDF documents then this software will automatically convert PDF to speech into . mp3 file format.

It works extremely well.

Now..I am NOT looking to hijack Tom's thread and let's keep it to GCA.

BUT...one of the apps that I love most is the "Golf Course Architecture" quarterly subscription I get sent digitally. Easy to zoom in on all the courses and easily read the text.

Have all issues with me when I travel.

Sure, I love books. we all do. But....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
Yeah, when you own the copyright for a book, you generally keep close tabs on the PDF file.  Not that I don't trust you, Ian.

We spoke to our lical postal manager yesterday and apparently USPS jas instituted a two week quarantine for all packages traveling internationally, because of the virus.  Funnily enough, though, the government has not made a similar rule for FedEx or other companies.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back