News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

The PGA has me very excited about watching golf for the first time in years. We no longer has to watch just in case Tiger returns to form, now with the 350 yard drive, all the young guns, our new PGA Champion, the telecast was fantastic, with 7 on the leaderboard at minus 10, they switched back and forth and I never thought I was ill informed or missed anything. Watching Collin Morikawa hit fairways and greens, chipping in for birdie and then his eagle, with 6-8 guys chasing him and not falling away, we now have the makings for a new era in golf. Horray!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Lou_Duran

Re: OT: I'm very Excited about watching golf after incredible PGA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
Yes, but does it induce you to get off the couch and start playing again?

I've been watching a lot of golf since the Tour has come back and sense that the game is in a much better spot today than most everything else.  There is an excellent mix of young, mid-age, and seasoned players.  Though the golf swings are definitely better across the board than in earlier times, there is still a good variety of styles which seem to match the different personalities. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »
The USGA and ANGC were in the catbird seat watching the PGA host the first major. If the U.S. Open and Masters can build on that  level of excitement minus the fans it bodes well for the game. I thought the weekend was pretty compelling to watch and Im looking forward to WF.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
Yes, but does it induce you to get off the couch and start playing again?

Lou: If I could play again, I would in a heart beat, but even with my newly fused back, I don't believe it is worth the risk. I did go out and buy a 60 degree wedge and go to the chipping green. I was amazed that after laying off for 12 years, I could hit all the different wedge shots and sand shots but when I tried to hit it a distance, the fusion came into play for the 1st time. I'd probably have to alter my swing some to accommodate the lack of mobility, but really, I've been cut 3 times, enough is enough and I don't really miss it a lot.

I've been watching a lot of golf since the Tour has come back and sense that the game is in a much better spot today than most everything else.  There is an excellent mix of young, mid-age, and seasoned players.  Though the golf swings are definitely better across the board than in earlier times, there is still a good variety of styles which seem to match the different personalities.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:44:38 AM »
The Renaissance Club is hosting the European Ladies this week and for the first time the professionals are playing it when it hasn't been subject to a softening deluge. I find myself watching the ladies more often as they play a game with which I can claim a modicum of familiarity.

Just wish I could figure out the order of the holes they are playing on a course I've played!!!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/ladies-scottish-open-testing-opening-day-renaissance-club-bares-its-teeth-2942044

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/aberdeen-standard-investments-ladies-scottish-open/leaderboard

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:51:18 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 04:22:42 AM »
The Renaissance Club is hosting the European Ladies this week and for the first time the professionals are playing it when it hasn't been subject to a softening deluge. I find myself watching the ladies more often as they play a game with which I can claim a modicum of familiarity.

Just wish I could figure out the order of the holes they are playing on a course I've played!!!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/ladies-scottish-open-testing-opening-day-renaissance-club-bares-its-teeth-2942044

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/aberdeen-standard-investments-ladies-scottish-open/leaderboard

Tony

Based on last years Mens Scottish Open - the reconfigured layout has the normal 7th hole (par 5) as the opening hole and the 15th (par 3) as the 9th hole.

the 1st became the 10th and the 6th became the 15th then 16 17 18 as per the norm

This is to enable 2 loops of 9 starting and finishing at the clubhouse.

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
Tony

Here is the Ladies Scottish Open layout - it is a different layout in terms of the hole numbering to the mens -

https://ladiesscottishopen.com/the-course/

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/aberdeen-standard-investments-scottish-open-2019/course - the yardages makes more sense to what I said earlier.

Cheers
Ben

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »
 Thanks Ben

It's free on the Sky YouTube channel, via Sky website.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
Watching the ladies from Renaissance and noticed that quite a few non-UK based ladies are participating.
Anyone happen to know what their protocol situation is given the 14 day self quarantine that I thought was presently in place for folks coming to the UK from quite a few countries. Are there maybe some kind of special arrangements in place covering travel, testing, on-site ‘pods’ etc?
Just curious.
Atb

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Cary,

I hope you can work yourself up to playing again.  When I had a cervical fusion several years ago, my neurosurgeon told me never to carry my bag, tilt my head back, or lift anything above my shoulders.  He also told me to avoid physical therapy in an effort to strengthen my neck and increase flexibility.  I gradually built up to carrying a light bag with a full set of clubs, but have now gone back to 10 or fewer clubs.  As good as the tournament golfers are doing on TV, playing is a whole lot more fun.  Best of luck. 

Bernie Bell

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
Watching the ladies from Renaissance and noticed that quite a few non-UK based ladies are participating.
Anyone happen to know what their protocol situation is given the 14 day self quarantine that I thought was presently in place for folks coming to the UK from quite a few countries. Are there maybe some kind of special arrangements in place covering travel, testing, on-site ‘pods’ etc?
Just curious.
Atb

Scotland has put in an exemption for elite cross-border competition, and I believe this tournament and Open at Troon fall within it.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 06:07:58 AM »
Sky being unusually generous this week.  Currently showing The Ladies Open from Troon, free on YouTube. 

Proper wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgIngw4Ulwc

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 07:07:13 AM »
Sky being unusually generous this week.  Currently showing The Ladies Open from Troon, free on YouTube. 

Proper wind.

excellent! Watching it live now on Golf Channel
In hindsight, it sure would've been nice to have seen a (fanless) Open Chapionship and Senior Open.
Seemed a bit early when they made the call with multiple months at their disposal (at that time)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »

Proper wind.

In hindsight, it sure would've been nice to have seen a (fanless) Open Chapionship and Senior Open.
Seemed a bit early when they made the call with multiple months at their disposal (at that time)

I think it was an insurance thing that cancelled the events like Wimbledon :-\

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »

Proper wind.

I think it was an insurance thing that cancelled the events like Wimbledon :-\

Yes, I heard that.
It would be nice to know that the R&A existed for the promotion of golf, not $$.
I would bet a settlement could've been reached which would have pleased all parties.Zero reason for an insurance company to not be in favor of potentially saving themselves a few $$ by allowing for a potential postponement.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back