News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: No Patrons At The Masters This Year
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
Perhaps without the ‘visual obstruction‘ of spectators TV viewers might be able to get more insights into some parts of the course, which would be nice.

Atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Perhaps without the ‘visual obstruction‘ of spectators TV viewers might be able to get more insights into some parts of the course, which would be nice.

Atb

Not so nice for those that are sitting on tickets especially if it’s a maiden trip.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »
I think it will look great without fans in the fall. Wouldn't want it forever obviously but should be interesting to watch for one year.
H.P.S.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
I'll miss the roars on the back nine on Sunday. I could always pretend/make myself believe that a poor shot on 16 was because of the roars heard from 15.

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »

I'll miss the roars on the back nine on Sunday. I could always pretend/make myself believe that a poor shot on 16 was because of the roars heard from 15.

If there's a golf tournament enhanced by the fans, it's the Masters.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
All the Dyan Cannon wannabes can go straight to hell.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
All the Dyan Cannon wannabes can go straight to hell.

I watched Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice recently. Tough to beat the sex appeal of Dyan Cannon and Natalie Wood. I don’t care what role Elliot Gould plays he’s always good.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »

Atb

Not so nice for those that are sitting on tickets especially if it’s a maiden trip.

I'm positive they will roll those tickets over to 2021 if the holders still want them. That's what they did with the women's am tickets for this year.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
Yes, ANGC has already sent an email announcing the rollover of tickets to 2021.

Also, they are going to offer an online store in Sept to purchase merchandise for those who are interested.

I know JK will want to update his logoed wardrobe. 😂
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 05:43:55 PM »
Yes, ANGC has already sent an email announcing the rollover of tickets to 2021.

Also, they are going to offer an online store in Sept to purchase merchandise for those who are interested.

I know JK will want to update his logoed wardrobe. 😂

I used to take my son to most of the baseball parks across the country. A hat bought in the park is the only hat to own.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 05:55:12 PM »
I'm sure they'll find a way to create the roars.
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 06:37:34 PM »

Agreed, they had no problem inserting bird noises that didn't exist in past broadcasts...

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »

Agreed, they had no problem inserting bird noises that didn't exist in past broadcasts...

You don’t like the bird noises?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »
One of the amazing things about the Masters is that patrons are routed so perfectly through the course that they rarely impact where golf balls end up.

A notable exception is surrounding the 18th green, where approach shots routinely fly into the crowd (especially left of the green).

The crowds also hide concessions areas.

Amen corner's gonna look really different on television.

WW

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 10:37:28 PM »
One of the amazing things about the Masters is that patrons are routed so perfectly through the course that they rarely impact where golf balls end up.

A notable exception is surrounding the 18th green, where approach shots routinely fly into the crowd (especially left of the green).

WW

Given that there are NO fans surrounding 11,12 or 13 green..I'm dying to know why Amenc orner will look so different.

LOts of ripple effects to no fans-a large portion of Palmetto's operating budget comes from outside play that week, to say nothing of those who bought(or sold) after market tickets...and rented homes etc.
Surprised they would make a decision 3 months out.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »

WW

Given that there are NO fans surrounding 11,12 or 13 green..I'm dying to know why Amenc orner will look so different.

LOts of ripple effects to no fans-a large portion of Palmetto's operating budget comes from outside play that week, to say nothing of those who bought(or sold) after market tickets...and rented homes etc.
Surprised they would make a decision 3 months out.
I'm talking about camera angles that capture the big crowd behind 12 tee (and that hide the huge service area right behind it).

WW

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 02:03:53 AM »
No grandstands on the course will also be new to most viewers. The big one behind 12 tee hides the concession area. The one to the left of the pond fronting the 15th green lines up with the bridge over the pond – and there is no pond to the left of it.

The Masters presents illusions to the viewer. Not this year.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Doug Spets

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:11:21 PM »
Without patrons or guests, players will have new options on both number 2 and 13.  If a player isn’t going for 2 in two, a great layup spot is way right.  From there all clips and pitches are straight into the slope.  Usually there are patrons in that spot moving between 2 and 3. Without them new options are available.  And on 13 the spot where patrons sit on the right side in front of the grandstands on 14 tee presents a great angle for golfers who have laid up, again hitting the third shot straight into the slope.  I’m sure there are other places where the absence of patrons and guests might come into play to present new options.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
I wonder if in spots like behind 12 tee, the Green Jackets will take a cue from MLB and install some stands with card board cut outs and pipe in claps and roars...  ;D

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 02:05:08 PM »

Usually on Thursday the pin placement on 18 is at the back of the green and it is not unusual for shots to go long and into the patrons.  Another thing that I have noticed is that some of the flyovers that CBS uses still show a stand for the media to the left of the 18th green.  That was taken down about five years ago.

John Nixon

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »
Without patrons or guests, players will have new options on both number 2 and 13.  If a player isn’t going for 2 in two, a great layup spot is way right.  From there all clips and pitches are straight into the slope.  Usually there are patrons in that spot moving between 2 and 3. Without them new options are available.  And on 13 the spot where patrons sit on the right side in front of the grandstands on 14 tee presents a great angle for golfers who have laid up, again hitting the third shot straight into the slope.  I’m sure there are other places where the absence of patrons and guests might come into play to present new options.

What if the powers-that-be decide to limit those options, so that the players are constrained as they normally would be by the presence of crowds? Could there be some sort of local rule to enact to keep those areas as off-limits as much as possible? Maybe they'd prefer the course to play as close to "normal" as possible?

Personally, I'd like to see the door open to new strategies.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
Not having fans at Augusta will really hurt local businesses, along with those who rent out their homes for the week. Similar economic woes happening near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where the usual 300,000 fans won't be in attendance for the Indianapolis 500 next weekend. Like the Masters, management moved it to later in the year to see if they could have a crowd, and were planning to host about 80,000, but the local hospital system, which supplies at-track personnel, said it wasn't doable.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 06:34:11 AM »

You don’t like the bird noises?
I hated the bird noises. When they started that I started muting the sound. :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back