News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Men's US Amateur Bandon Dunes
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2020, 12:37:07 PM »
Just had my first real chance to watch any play in this US Am. I am very proud of what we did in preparation for this event. DMK could have asked any number of others to do this work, but I’m so grateful he gave me this opportunity. I have to admit I had a big grin on my face as I saw how those bunkers have weathered and found their way in the landscape.

As far as those questions about how the changes has affected play, I will gladly defer to Sven, who has more interest and experience in those dynamics than anyone else I know.

Joe, Bandon really presented wonderfully on television and the evolution of the bunkering and course itself really really made me want to get back out there. I had in the past been surprised when friends had told me Bandon was their favorite course at the property but seeing it now (it's been 5 years since I've been) the case is more than understandable now. This was a fun, flexible set up that created exciting match play and asked players to hit a variety of shots and tested their whole game!

+1
Nice to see a course resemble its true self despite the USGA being involved
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Clayman

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »
I'm trying to decide if the micro undulations of blown sand, down on the beach, mimicked the shaping, or, the other way around. :) Great Job, All involved.

It was so great seeing the core principles on display.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JLahrman

« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2020, 12:55:34 PM »
Joe, Bandon really presented wonderfully on television and the evolution of the bunkering and course itself really really made me want to get back out there. I had in the past been surprised when friends had told me Bandon was their favorite course at the property but seeing it now (it's been 5 years since I've been) the case is more than understandable now. This was a fun, flexible set up that created exciting match play and asked players to hit a variety of shots and tested their whole game!

I can easily see how people would like Bandon Dunes the best, especially the non-GCA crowd. I think it has a few more weak points than the other courses, but after my second visit I didn't think they were as weak as I'd originally thought. The highlights of the course are about as good as the highlights on the other courses. It's got a ton of fun shots, probably at least as many as the other courses. And it's very playable. It's not my favorite course there. It might even be my least favorite. But if so, not by much.

Alex Miller

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »

I can easily see how people would like Bandon Dunes the best, especially the non-GCA crowd. I think it has a few more weak points than the other courses, but after my second visit I didn't think they were as weak as I'd originally thought. The highlights of the course are about as good as the highlights on the other courses. It's got a ton of fun shots, probably at least as many as the other courses. And it's very playable. It's not my favorite course there. It might even be my least favorite. But if so, not by much.

I am nothing if not entrenched in my own strong feelings on golf architecture  ;) . All said though BD has always been an enjoyable play and looked that much more enticing on TV this weekend.

William_G

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
loved the presentation by Golf Channel, well done, could not have made Bandon look better, and thank you Bones for great quotes

how many times did Justin Leonard say "there are many options here" when describing a players upcoming shot? 1000?

also the course(s) played different everyday due to weather and set-up, as a player there you can be assured it will play differently all throughout the day and from day to day, you will not get bored for sure

all the course at Bandon's Resort have lots of flexibility, yet Bandon Dunes has the most and that showed, yet they didn't play #11 from the tips at @469

not necessarily a big fan of the bunker changes at 8, 15 and 17 but who cares, that's what memories are for

great story about Shoe on YouTube via Ginella [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzAcrG55DI[/size]

Bandon is where you realize the brilliance of DMK and I love his comeback at Gamble Sands, "golf is more than the number on the card, it's about the friends you made, the experience with nature, the walk you enjoyed, that's what golf was meant to be"

what a championship, thank you everyone including all the great caddies at Bandon who weathered the shut down via a fundraiser

It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »

Sven, I thought I saw an extra green out on the back nine, from an aerial shot.  Is that right?  If so, what is the purpose of the extra green?

John,

There's an old practice green that they still maintain on the right side of 10.  Was that it?

Sven

That practice green was there when we first visited back in 2000 and walked down the pavers to the range to the west of #9.

I was surprised to see that, hahaha

I didn't realize there was a water facility/pond there, but the drone view made that clear, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
After two trips to Bandon, I had concluded that the original Bandon Dunes course was my favorite, edging out Pacific Dunes. Watching the Am, I remembered every hole vividly, which reinforced my opinion. Yet, had they used Pacific for the last five days, I'd probably be close to switching allegiances. Both are stunningly good.

I concur with the opinion expressed above that this Am was anything but the cookie-cutter exercise that many previous Ams have been. Go back soon, USGA. A U.S. Open might not work financially or logistically, but it would be an artistic triumph.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back