News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Royal Dornoch - New 7th hole in progress
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
Jon -

Yes, we will have to disagree regarding the expanse and enjoyment of the views from the new 7th hole vs. what was potentially available from the old 7th hole. Having played the course 400+ times now, I never found the "secluded feeling of the hole" you mention to have much merit.   

I look forward to the day we can visit the new 7th hole together, so we can compare the views from a variety of vantage points. 

DT
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:03:53 PM by David_Tepper »

MClutterbuck

« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
Bryan I. -

The tee for the new 7th hole is almost exactly where the tee for the old 7th is/was. The new tee box has simply been rotated to the right to line up with the new 7th fairway.

My understanding is the new 8th tee will be roughly where the old 7th green is/was. The gorse behind the old 7th green will be cleared out to create fairway turf.

Re: the twitter video linked above - I hope it puts to rest some of the speculation here that the new 7th fairway will be too flat and featureless.

DT

Looks spectacular and a very nice improvement. Congratulations to the club and members.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2020, 08:31:52 AM »
Jon -

Yes, we will have to disagree regarding the expanse and enjoyment of the views from the new 7th hole vs. what was potentially available from the old 7th hole. Having played the course 400+ times now, I never found the "secluded feeling of the hole" you mention to have much merit.   

I look forward to the day we can visit the new 7th hole together, so we can compare the views from a variety of vantage points. 

DT

Indeed David. Different people, different points of view on view points  :) I suspect in the end it will be six of one, half a dozen of the other. I am very much looking forward to seeing/playing the new 8th as I suspect this will make it a much better hole or at least tee shot/ second shot. I also think the idea of turning the 7th into a par five is a very intriguing one.

Jon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »
I can’t remember the details well enough. By bringing the 8th tee over towards the current 7th green, does it / could it open up a view of the 8th green if the gorse was cut down sufficiently on the ridge line?

Or would you have to go so far over that the more direct line becomes the 9th fairway and unsafe?

David_Tepper

« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »
Guess that thread doesn’t really answer the question though, David.

Niall C

« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
I'm not concerned about the sea views, its the view of the green that disappoints. I thought it would be closer to the right edge. Maybe the photo is doing it an injustice or perhaps they couldn't get any closer in case balls going over the edge endangered players on the hole below, but I imagined something like the 4th at Woking in terms of strategy.

Niall

JohnVDB

« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
I'm not concerned about the sea views, its the view of the green that disappoints. I thought it would be closer to the right edge. Maybe the photo is doing it an injustice or perhaps they couldn't get any closer in case balls going over the edge endangered players on the hole below, but I imagined something like the 4th at Woking in terms of strategy.

Niall

Nail,

There is a bit of room on both sides of the green. Given the wind out of the North blows directly across the green from the left, there is a need to give some room on the right. I played it a few times in February and it definitely will get you attention when that wind is blowing.

I don’t think there is much danger to the players below as it really is quite a lot of room.

I’ve not been to Woling so I won’t speak to that. 

William_G

« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2020, 10:25:37 PM »

Niall

go see it for yourself please before commenting, especially as you are on that side of the pond, thank you

the worst thing on this site are inexperienced hypothetical comments, geez

cheers
It's all about the golf!

Niall C

« Reply #260 on: July 15, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
William

The opening line from the very front page of this website says "GolfClubAtlas.com exists to promote the frank commentary on golf course architecture". Any time you wish to join in the discussion I'm sure it would be appreciated. In the meantime perhaps you could keep the cheerleading of your favourite course/resort/developer to a minimum so as not to get in the way of that discussion.

John

The Woking hole is the one that JL Low and Stuart Paton famously put in a centre-line bunker to create a pinch point for the best line off the tee. It's the hole that inspired Tom Simpson to become a golf course architect.

It works because you have a railway line all the way down the right hand side, tight against the fairway. The centre line bunker is probably the line that most would have chosen off the tee. There is a bail out area left of the bunker but that then means going over the front left and side left bunkers at the green. If you've played Castle Stuart, the third hole (?) is a similar idea, and indeed the M&E redesign of the 10th (?) at Cruden Bay is a mirror image. In that instance I believe they have the new green tucked beside the "cliff" edge.

At RDGC there is virtually an extra golf hole to the left to bail out to if you thought attempting to go for the green too risky. After all, there is nothing saying that going for the green should be a given or perhaps the percentage shot. It just appears to me to be a missed opportunity. 

Niall

Simon Holt

« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2020, 08:04:30 AM »
Gents,

I headed North last week and had a fantastic 5 days in Dornoch.  Tain was a first timer for me and I found it charming, Brora as fun as I remember from 15 years ago, and Golspie a nice walk with a handful of fun greens.

The main focus was 3 rounds at Dornoch at to that end, 3 runs at the new 7th.

I've scanned through most of the comments and please correct me but the theme seems to be that the old hole was intimidating off the tee, bloody hard and didn't give the golfer much to look at.  An old school brute of a par-4.  Is that fair?  That was always my memory of the hole having played it around 8 times before this trip.

Then the new hole.  Is it fair to say the move was primarily to give the golfer more views in this Instagram Golf Design age?  I'm not saying that was the wrong move - I'm just trying to clarify if the move was for a bit more eye candy rather than an improvement in the strategic values.

My take-aways:

• We played off the white tees each day so 479 par 4, into a 1 to 2 club wind max.  10 of us ranging from +1 to 6.  It plays long!
  • Far less intimidating off the tee than the old hole, just a couple of bunkers down the left which I suppose gathers balls aiming to get the slightly better angle into the green.  It's only really a tight right pin that will dictate going down the left to navigate the front right greenside bunker
  • It's WIDE open.  It stuck me as more of a Castle Stuart hole visually; having said that, I was delighted to see that Dornoch has retained it's generous width on all holes - the course was in immaculate condition
  • As per many new links holes, it played even harder and faster than the rest of the course.  The green and the approach were rock hard.  It's the same at Gullane No.1 on the new 8th, which is now probably 10 years old.  Extremely fiery.
  • There was plenty of short grass around the green so very much in keeping with Dornoch.  Wayward shots pushed towards the cliff will certainly run into trouble but you're coming from so far back on your approach you've have to have a strong left to right wind to really punish anyone above a certain handicap
  • The green looked like and exact lift and shift from the old green.  Is this correct?
Overall I enjoyed the new hole.  If I was being harsh, the fairway is lacking any real movement and you could land a plane on it.  I didn't pace it off but it must be 50 yards wide and close to pan flat up to 40 yards from the green.  The improvements are the obviously the outstanding views and 99% of golfers will be blown away by those alone.  Out of our group of 10, we all preferred the hole but that was down to stunning views and being much easier off the tee than the old hole.

The walk to the 8th tee is now a bit untidy.  You walk right past the old torn up patch of green.  I'm guessing they'll tidy it up in time.

The concentrated few days reminded me how truly special Dornoch is.  Without question one of the very best courses on the planet - with the toughest set of par-3s!!

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

William_G

« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
Simon,

Thanks for posting, and sounds like a good move by the club as everyone of you low handicap group preferred the new 7.
Guessing the higher handicappers will like it even more.
It's all about the golf!

Simon Holt

« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Hi William,

I'd say that's fair and the guys I were with weren't super analytical about it.  They are very happy NOT to hit the tee shot on the old 7th and who doesn't like a views being opened up?

In terms of the effect on the overall routing it's not quite as polished with the new longer walk to the 8th tee.  I wont miss the old tee shot either - I was never a huge fan of the old hole so perhaps I'm biased.  I don't think Dornoch needed to be any more penal than it already is in places, so I'd say an improvement in that sense.

As an aside, we had a bet each day based on any of us shooting level par for the par 3s.  In the 3 rounds, so effectively 30 tries from guys 6 and under, in hardly any wind, only 1 guy had level in a round!  I was very happy with 3 pars on the 2nd but the 6th proved to be my downfall with 4,3,5.  If one par 3 doesn't get you, one of the others will.

We also did a best and worst eclectic score over each round as a group and bet on closest to the number.  First round we were 61 gross low ball, 113 gross high ball!  I don't think there are many courses in the world with so many holes that can make you rack up a big number out of nowhere.  One of the group had a 75 with a quad bogey on 8!
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

David_Tepper

« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
Simon -

Glad you enjoyed your time in the Highlands.

Regarding the walk from the new 7th green to the 8th tee, be aware the upper level of the 8th hole will be changed. The 8th tee will be moved to roughly where the 7th green used to be and the gorse behind the old 7th green will be cleared out to become fairway.

DT

William_G

« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
thanks Simon

FWIW, the tee shot on the old 7th never bothered me as I hit to narrower LZs at my club all day, the length of the 2nd shot is what was difficult

look forward to a visit to the beautiful Highlands someday
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back