News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: Shot of the Year!
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2020, 07:58:04 PM »
I only claimed it was the shot of the year (so far)! ;)

Lol. It was one of the greatest shots of all time. And I have been watching golf for almost 50 years. But it is an indictment of drivable Par 4s.  ;)

Ira

JMEvensky

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2020, 08:15:41 PM »

Your last point was one of my thoughts, too. These drivable par-4's are often awkward for the bombers because they don't have a club for the distance, and they have to try to manufacture a shot for the situation.

I think this is the most likely reason for so few players hitting that green. Crazy as it sounds,295 is between clubs for about half the field.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »
Wait, I forgot that Sarazen's Albatross was just a function of a good drive and some luck.

Ira

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »

How many other chips were made yesterday?

There are made chips. And, there are MADE CHIPS. This one was a MADE CHIP. I can practice chipping, and produce a made chip within 10 to 15 minutes. That MADE CHIP would take me an indefinite amount of time to make, if ever.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:00:13 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Brown

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »
Yep, shot of the year so far by far.  I won him the tournament, it was hit under maximum pressure, and it requires doing something special. 

It doesn’t matter it he is a long hitter or a short hitter.  He pulled it off when no one else in contention could.  Everyone one of the last 10 golfer could have hit that shot but he actually did. 

Pulling off our go to shot when it really matters is the pinnacle of golfing skill.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
I was really surprised at how few players were hitting fairways.

Jerry,

Most of the fairways including on the long par 4’s were in the mid 20’s in width. 9 was as little as 25 yards between sand and rough. Same for 1 rough to rough. #2 as low as 24. #4 about 26. A few were wider; most were not. Narrowest, for those who laid up, was #7 at 22 yards.

JESII

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2020, 10:45:18 PM »
Curious if anyone else thinks the chip on 14 hits the curb OC the apron, propelling it forward to reach the hole?

Peter Flory

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »
I wonder how much the crowdless tournaments are helping him.  It is a pretty nice transition from college since these tournaments look and feel very similar. 

He just looked so at ease out there. I wonder if he would have had that inner peace if he was trying to win his first major with all the buzzing of crowd.  With 7 tied for the lead, there would have been some crazy energy out there. 

Having said that, I really don't mind watching tournaments without the gallery. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
Maybe we have the making of the Tiger Wood's heir apparent, we should all root for him.

Keopke is a jerk and I'm glad he imploded.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2020, 06:54:43 AM »
Wait, I forgot that Sarazen's Albatross was just a function of a good drive and some luck.

Ira

yeah, surely it was luckier than Morikawa's chip.........:)

On the subject of the chip...
Morikawa was simply one of 10 players "in the hunt" and 6-7 in the lead when that occurred.
With that many tied or near the top, the sheer numbers indicated someone would hole a shot or make a bomb to separate themselves.At that point it was the "shot of the tournament", but it sealed nothing with 4 holes to play and 8-10 within one shot.

As far as the "Shot of the year"  which Morikawa's drive on 16 was.....
Morikawa stepped to the tee on 16 LEADING by himself, knowing the event was on the line and that he needed at least one more birdie to win.(and that others would have the same chance after him)
He then executed a perfect shot, EXACTLY on the line he and his caddie discussed, and yes, got a predictable bounce.
At no time from when that shot left that club was any number greater than three in play-unlike many/most of the drives launced on that hole-noteably DJ, Finau etc.
 Only Bryson(who was well back by then, and Scheffler-also well back by then, hit tee shots that set up potential eagles/pretty certain birdies)
Morikawa's putt was huge, and yes,  confirmed,... the Tee shot, as "shot of the year"..
but he was never making more than 3 after the tee shot, which carried a far more variable total shot outcome than the putt.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:11:54 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2020, 08:02:05 AM »
Another shot of a lifetime was Shaun Micheel's approach at teh 2003 PGA at Oak Hill where he stuffed it to less than a foot to seal the win over Chad Campbell. That was clutch, although I don't know if he ever went on to win again. It was his moment in time and no one can take that away from him.  Just like Morikawa.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JESII

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
I'm betting we see Morikawa again...

JMEvensky

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »

I'm betting we see Morikawa again...

I like your side of that bet.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
Another data point to suggest he's not just a flash in the pan like so many other 1 and done winners.

Made his first 22 cuts on Tour, surpassed only by you know who.

P.S.  Agree with Cary, Brooks is firmly in 3rd place behind Reed and Bryson for biggest douches on tour...

Tim Martin

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »

P.S.  Agree with Cary, Brooks is firmly in 3rd place behind Reed and Bryson for biggest douches on tour...

Gamesmanship can take different forms. I’m not saying he didn’t sound high handed but it’s clear Brooks is happy to go it alone.

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back