News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Re: Which par 3s would you gladly take a 4 on?
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
Not many I have played, as par 3's are definitely a strength for me. I'm a very short hitter of the ball for a scratch/below player, so I definitely lose strokes to my peers on long par 4's and long par 5's. But I definitely GAIN strokes on par 3 holes due to my solid ball-striking and my short game/putting.

One that comes to mind for sure, though, is number 3 at Pasatiempo from the championship tees at 222 hards, uphill, with a very tough green complex. When it's early in the morning and cold, that hole is a beast for a short hitter.

Still, though, there are very few, if any, par 3 holes where I would average more than 3.5 strokes if I played the hole 100 times, so "gladly" taking a 4 is really not something I would ever do.

I would be curious to see if there are any par-3 holes where I would average over 3.5, actually (especially brutal conditions being the exception, of course).

David Kelly

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »

On #9, miss inside the boomerang, pitch up, and two putt.  Admittedly on #9, the middle shelf is challenging even on a pitch.  I've seen someone hit a pretty good shot to that pin out the middle bunker, grab a rake, clean up, walk to his bag, grab his putter, and walk to the green, only to realize his ball was back in the bunker.
It's happened to me.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »
Ballyhack 3, 7 & 13
Cascades ... any of the 5 par 3's
Sweeten's Cove 4 (I think it is a very unfair hole)
Riverfront 13 (back hole location)
Streamsong Blue 7
Tobacco Road 8
Pinehurst No. 2; hole 6
Dormie 7
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:44:29 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Shane Wright

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
None, ever.

......Not even if I was playing in a US Amateur. 

I don't want to play golf if I'm willing to be given a score to avoid a challenge.

Shane

John Crowley

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
I don't believe there is a par 3 where 4 shots or less isn't reasonable to expect. 2nd or 6th at Dornoch, lay up chip on one or two putt. Redan, knock it through the back, chip and putt. Why would I accept the score that I can reasonably expect to be the worst possible outcome ???
+1!

Frankly not interested in playing a par 3 where I would gladly take a four.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 03:02:54 AM »
Without having seen it, I'd guess #5 at Pine Valley.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »
I don't believe there is a par 3 where 4 shots or less isn't reasonable to expect. 2nd or 6th at Dornoch, lay up chip on one or two putt. Redan, knock it through the back, chip and putt. Why would I accept the score that I can reasonably expect to be the worst possible outcome ???
+1!

Frankly not interested in playing a par 3 where I would gladly take a four.

or to put it another way. On which par three do you expect to have a nett double bogey?  :-X

John Crowley

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »
None, ever.

......Not even if I was playing in a US Amateur. 

I don't want to play golf if I'm willing to be given a score to avoid a challenge.

Shane
I’m with you Shane.

On the tee - never!

After a not so good tee shot, would be happy with 4 on #2 & #6 & #10 at RDGC, #16 at Carnoustie and #5 at Pine Valley, Calamity at Royal Portrush.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
BK would take a 4 every time @ PV #5.  I'd be sure to double press on the tee and more times than not my 4 would be accepting cash as we walked off the green.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
11 at St Andrews
13 at Sand Hills
17 at TPC Sawgrass
4 at Sweetens Cove
On my only play at the Old Course I came to the 11th at -1 and hit it into the Hill bunker.  I walked off the green at +1.
On my second round there. I came to 11 3 over (which, off 14, I was very happy with) and left 7 over, having landed my tee shot exactly where I wanted (20 yards short of the green with a strong following wind) but ended up over the back.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:32 AM »
I played Piltdown yesterday, which is a beautiful and largely unheralded heathland course in East Sussex. There are no bunkers, but the rich swathes of heather, many of which cut right across the fairways, more than makes up for their absence. What makes the heather even more distinctive are the numerous 'church pews' ridges upon which it grows. It was a delight.

The Par 3 4th hole is one of the more extreme long par 3's I've ever seen, playing 202 Yards off the back plates, downhill to a small, fall-away green. A wide swathe of gnarly heather blocks any access into the green and any sight of the fore-green. I assumed the heather belt ended 20-30 yards short of the green, with a hidden approach I could land a shot on. I was wrong. The heather stops just 5 yards short of the putting surface, leaving only 30 yards in which the ball can be stopped on the downslope before it is over the back.

In hindsight, the smart play is to lay up short of the heather and pitch on. I've rarely seen such a high-tariff tee shot on a par 3. It's a relic of a bygone era, but goes straight into my Top 3 hardest short holes and I would have gladly chalked up a 4 and gone straight to the 5th tee!

See for yourself below.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:39:48 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
Have to say, Robin, that is a ridiculous looking hole. Can’t wait to see it!

What about your 17th at JCB? Would you take a 4 there if you were standing on the tee all square?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2020, 06:52:37 AM »
Yes!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Michael Felton

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
Not many I have played, as par 3's are definitely a strength for me. I'm a very short hitter of the ball for a scratch/below player, so I definitely lose strokes to my peers on long par 4's and long par 5's. But I definitely GAIN strokes on par 3 holes due to my solid ball-striking and my short game/putting.

One that comes to mind for sure, though, is number 3 at Pasatiempo from the championship tees at 222 hards, uphill, with a very tough green complex. When it's early in the morning and cold, that hole is a beast for a short hitter.

Still, though, there are very few, if any, par 3 holes where I would average more than 3.5 strokes if I played the hole 100 times, so "gladly" taking a 4 is really not something I would ever do.

I would be curious to see if there are any par-3 holes where I would average over 3.5, actually (especially brutal conditions being the exception, of course).

I would think #5 at Pine Valley would be one hole you'd be doing well to average under 3.5. I don't think you would average 4 though.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »
The 145 yd. Volcano 6th at Roaring Gap
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Erik Mosley

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »
Sleepy Hollow (Ohio) #2 - have watched low single digits lay up on this hole during tournaments.  230 yards, hazard right, brutal recovery left, and an automatic 3 putt above the hole...lay up might be the right option!

David Ober

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »

I would think #5 at Pine Valley would be one hole you'd be doing well to average under 3.5. I don't think you would average 4 though.

Yeah, I would love to play it, obviously. :-)

To be clear, I'm definitely not saying such a hole doesn't exist, I've just never played one that tough. My short game is such that I can usually have a good chance of saving par no matter where I am, unless I've just absolutely missed it into "jail." But even then, if I played the hole enough, I wouldn't miss into jail very often.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2020, 01:19:07 AM »
If given the opportunity in stroke play or an important match, which par 3s would you accept a score of 4 on rather than have to play?

3 holes in northern Michigan come to mind:

#9 at Kingsley Club which has basically terrorized me each time I have played it.  I may have parred it in my limited plays there but all I can remember is hitting shot after shot AWAY from the hole.

#2 at Kingsley Club. In a crosswind, this is probably the shortest hole in the world on which I would lay up.

On #2, dump it into the gully on the right, pitch to the back of the green, and two putt.  On #9, miss inside the boomerang, pitch up, and two putt.

Bill- I owe you a beer

C'mon, Buck, I can't possibly have taught you anything about Kingsley that you didn't already know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back