News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - 64F In San Francisco!
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »
The guys coming from Memphis (90F there this afternoon) to San Francisco tonight and tomorrow for the PGA will be in for a surprise when they get here. The temp at Harding Park today at 3:00pm was 64F and that is likely the high temp for the day. Our summer "gloom" marine layer has arrived. Expect to see some guys under clubbing in the first few rounds. 

JMEvensky

Re: OT - 64F In San Francisco!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »

The guys coming from Memphis (90F there this afternoon) to San Francisco tonight and tomorrow for the PGA will be in for a surprise when they get here. The temp at Harding Park today at 3:00pm was 64F and that is likely the high temp for the day. Our summer "gloom" marine layer has arrived. Expect to see some guys under clubbing in the first few rounds.

Didn't get past 88* today--thought about wearing a sweater this morning.

John Emerson

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 10:07:20 PM »
Imo the Bay Area has the best weather in the world.  Lima Peru is a strong second
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
There’s one spot by 12 tee where they haven’t screened off the fence. I can only imagine what that will be like later in the week when the big names pass by; maybe they will screen it up by then. I hoped I’d get lucky seeing somebody today but the only player that came by while I was there was a 61-year-old club pro from Michigan.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:48:47 AM »
Didn't Mark Twain say "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
Living in Sacramento I would try to beat the summer heat by playing in the bay area and would always lose a club to two clubs distance when I went to the coast. Also the ball felt like a rock until I got used to it. Watch out for Cali Fog too. I had a round cancelled by fog so thick you couldn't see 10 yds at Olympic Club in August one year. Drove to Palo Alto and it was clear and sunny 15 miles away. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
Having grown up in the Bay Area, I'd like to say its one of the best in the world, but its not even the best in state.

For year round pleasantness, San Diego can't be beat, especially in the winter months.

P.S.  And yes summer is the worst time to go to San Francisco, the frequency and bone chilling nature of the fog is not to be under estimated.

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:04:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »

55F at 9:00am today!

That sounds absolutely delightful.  Its been high 80s at 9 AM the last few mornings, reaching triple digits in the afternoon. Sometimes I really really miss Bay Area weather.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:16:53 PM »
Having grown up in the Bay Area, I'd like to say its one of the best in the world, but its not even the best in state.

For year round pleasantness, San Diego can't be beat, especially in the winter months.

P.S.  And yes summer is the worst time to go to San Francisco, the frequency and bone chilling nature of the fog is not to be under estimated.
Kalen agreed. I'd love to live on Coronado Island and enjoy SD in retirement, but I doubt I could afford it. Speaking of weather next to SD the best has been in Algarve, Portugal or Cartagena, Colombia. I haven't been to Peru, but of course have heard great things.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MClutterbuck

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 03:13:57 PM »
Lima Perú has arguably the best food in the world, but in terms of climate, I cant see how a cloudy, foggy, damp, climate, can be considered that good. Also, in talking to the Peruvian golf team, they cant handle wind because their courses have little or no wind. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
Lima Perú has arguably the best food in the world, but in terms of climate, I cant see how a cloudy, foggy, damp, climate, can be considered that good. Also, in talking to the Peruvian golf team, they cant handle wind because their courses have little or no wind.
BBQ Guinea Pig? No thank you. I will take SF or LA for best food anytime.  8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
What a difference a week makes. The temp in SF this afternoon is 90F and it should stay that warm over the weekend. I wonder how different the PGA would have been played this weekend instead of last weekend.

John Emerson

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Having spent a lot of time SF it is the best climate...imo in the USA.  I haven’t been  everywhere but I have been to many states and cities.  No where beats it.  My favorite golf to play is at 60-65 degrees.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 12:39:39 PM »
John,

I think it very much depends on time of year.  In the summer months?  No way in hell.  Portland and Seattle are glorious places in the summer months

Spring and fall thou? Agreed... 

Winter time, it'd be a toss up between San Diego and Phoenix.

John Emerson

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
John,

I think it very much depends on time of year.  In the summer months?  No way in hell.  Portland and Seattle are glorious places in the summer months

Spring and fall thou? Agreed... 

Winter time, it'd be a toss up between San Diego and Phoenix.
KB,
For my personal taste I much prefer to play in 55degree weather as opposed to 85.  No place is absolutely perfect, but the bay is hard to beat for a year round golfing climate. My opinion, of course...SD is great for the winter but the summer is too hot for me. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
 8)   SF best weather in USA.. NO WAY, spend a year in Hawaii

now, the sour dough bread, definitely
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »
Not Houston?  It was a balmy 105° north of Dallas today.  But it is dry heat!

Guadalajara, Mexico ain't bad, nor is Guadalajara CC (Bredemus, 1941).  The locals say the rains come mostly at night and the climate is rated 2nd best in the world behind some place in Kenya.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
"now, the sour dough bread, definitely"

Steve L. -

Like many things in life, the sourdough bread in San Francisco is not what it used to be. Several of local, old-school independent bakeries have been bought by bigger corporate entities over the years and merged into other brands. Very little sourdough bread is still baked here.

Boudin Bakery (since 1849) on Geary Blvd. is the last old-school bakery still standing. Their sourdough bread is worth seeking out. So is the sourdough served at the Tadich Grill.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/tadichgrill/california-sourdough-bread

DT

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »
  My favorite golf to play is at 60-65 degrees.
+1

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Lou, I was going to say Houston for 9 mo per year, which is why we're in Northern Mich along the 45th parallel each summer...

David T,  very sorry to hear about the SD demise... long live Boudin Bakery
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
And today we are having lightning and thunderstorms, something I have witnessed less than a handful of times in the 48 years I have lived here.  Very strange.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/lightning-summer-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-thunder-15487464.php

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
And today we are having lightning and thunderstorms, something I have witnessed less than a handful of times in the 48 years I have lived here.  Very strange.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/lightning-summer-San-Francisco-Bay-Area-thunder-15487464.php

David, when I first moved to the Bay Area from the Midwest, I was confused when people talked about "storms". Eventually I figured out a "storm" in the Bay Area just means a lot of rain. Where I come from, it's not a storm unless you've got thunder and lightning! I don't recall getting what I would call a storm in 5 years living there.

William_G

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 11:35:35 PM »

David, when I first moved to the Bay Area from the Midwest, I was confused when people talked about "storms". Eventually I figured out a "storm" in the Bay Area just means a lot of rain. Where I come from, it's not a storm unless you've got thunder and lightning! I don't recall getting what I would call a storm in 5 years living there.

west coast>>>>east coast for living, Geography 101A

It's all about the golf!

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »

west coast>>>>east coast for living, Geography 101A

And anywhere other than west coast/east coast >>>>
west coast>>>>east coast for cost of living, Personal Finance 101A

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back