News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

What is your longest 18 hole round (non-competition)
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
  • Venue: Los Verdes GC in Palos Verdes just southwest of LA
  • When: 2000, but probably anytime I went
  • How long?: 6 hours, 25 minutes
  • Why: They play fivesomes on the weekend (maybe other times too) and is a cheap public course in LA with a couple ocean views once the fog burns off.
  • Did you or would you go back?: Yes I did, cheap public golf. You know going in that it will be minimum 5 plus hours.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete_Pittock

Re: What is your longest 18 hole round (non-competition)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
This might be semi-competition
Year: Unknown, probably in the 80s.
Course; Tualatin CC
What: Oregon State University golf fundraiser
How Long; At least 6 hours. Started at 1 pm and finished at dusk in June or July
Why: They had 39 foursomes (2 groups on every hole, 3 on par 5s)
Why: with the shotgun start you were in gridlock by the second hole. Your group was actually holding up your own group because of the format. Everyone played at the pace of the slowest golfer
Why: It was a scramble.
Why: They were selling 5 mulligans for $5.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:07:19 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
I have no horrible experiences to share since we are talking non competitive rounds. I usually head in when the round passes the  4 hour mark unless I am on 17. Never happens at my clubs, but has happened many times on public or resort courses. Makes no economic sense, but life is too short for that aggravation.

Jeff, I actually played Los Verdes in under 3 hours back in the 90s. We were 1st out at 6:30am. I’m sure the second group probably took 5 hours.  ;D

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
Van Corlandt Park GC was by far my worst at  7 hours.  Two to three groups waiting on every tee.

My next worst round was 6 hours and 15 minutes when I left Lido Beach (with 2 holes to go) or I would have missed my plane.  This was during an outing so not completely surprised.

I never returned to either course.

Chris

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
Once they get to about five hours it's usually time to fake a soar back and leave.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:11:50 AM »
I was involved in a 6 hour round at my home club in temps approaching 100. My usual group was short one for a foursome, so the pro shop asked if we would let this young man join us. The young man proceeded to adopt every tour pro, time consuming behavior he had ever seen. Even though one of our group is a bit slow for my tastes, we usually get around in 4 hours. This clown slowed us to a crawl, and it took us 6 hours. One of our group still carried his bag. The next Saturday he showed up with a pushcart. Carrying for 6 hours in 100 degree heat broke the "camels" back and he has been using the pushcart ever since.

The other long round of note was my first round at Pacific Dunes in 5 hours 20. A resort person kept coming around and asking if we would like him to tell the group in front of us to let us through. This made no sense, as we would simply be waiting on the group in front of them. We could see all the groups were backed up. The only thing I could figure was they knew my name, and figured I would be writing about it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:17:03 AM »
(Deleted - didn't see "non-competition")

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:18:53 AM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:10:10 AM »
A sleepy 5 1/2 hrs around Royal Dornoch behind two groups of overseas visitors using rental clubs and wearing hiking shoes. I guess if you've got to raise the money to change one of your clifftop holes and build a new clubhouse ....:(
atb

Joel Pear

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 11:51:51 AM »
The Chalet (now Chalet Hills) west of Chicago.  We left on the 14th tee after 5 1/2 hours and the worst mosquito situation I have ever seen.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
It's been ages, but I think my longest non-competition round was on The Bear at Grand Traverse Resort, not long after I moved to Michigan.  Six hours!  All of the deep bunkers around the greens made it deathly slow for resort golfers.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 12:29:31 PM »
That's easy, 1994 Willingdon Sports Club, Bombay, India.  The round took 6:15 to play.  To make matters worse, the course only measures 4600 yards and is a par 65.  Of course I went back, I was a temporary member and most rounds did not take that long to play.  It was one bad Saturday morning/afternoon/evening when there were a lot of foreign visitors playing.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Recently at Rustic Canyon playing with Tommy Nac and Eric Zzzz we drove in after all hope was lost at even finishing. Tommy approached the group in front of us hoping for relief and they were not impressed. Eric and I had his back the whole way.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »
5 1/2 hours at Trump Aberdeen. It was blowing a hooley but that is an excuse for fast play not a reason for slowing down.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »
6 hours at bethpage black. Pretty typical I guess out there.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
Virginia State Golf Association event at the Cascades.  Shotgun start, 2 foursomes at each tee.  5:50 ..... never again!
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tal Oz

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 09:59:36 PM »
Recently at Rustic Canyon playing with Tommy Nac and Eric Zzzz we drove in after all hope was lost at even finishing. Tommy approached the group in front of us hoping for relief and they were not impressed. Eric and I had his back the whole way.
John it's been absolutely bonkers since golf has returned at Rustic in May. 5 hour rounds are the norm, weekday, weekend, dew sweeping, or twilight. Yesterday we were lucky to finish in 4:45 teeing off at 8:10a. Weekend before 7a and 5 hours to finish. Since quarantine was lifted it's been difficult to even book a twilight tee time less than a week out.

However for the longest round I can't remember which course was worse, but I've crossed 6 hour rounds at Rancho Park and Los Verdes.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 04:02:06 AM »
I walked off the course after 6 holes that took 3:30 at Griffith Park in LA on a Sat afternoon.
Los Verdes and Rancho Park were always 6 hrs on a weekend afternoon. Brookside by the Rose Bowl was 6 hrs on a weekend afternoon and they had 2 courses. My friend and I who also lived in Glendale would drive an hour south and play Oak Valley in 4 hrs and make it back in the same time it would have taken to play Brookside on a weekend.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back