News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

The golf glove
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
I stopped using a golf glove about ten years ago and never have missed it. I have saved a lot of money and my hands tan the same. I have never felt that I would lose my grip on the club. So why use them?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

Re: The golf glove
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
How often do you regrip your clubs?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »
How often do you regrip your clubs?
Every year. I always have.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Crowley

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »
Been 50+ years for me.
Better “feel”.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:20:24 PM »
I used to wear a glove. Taking a lesson from Del Snyder the old pro at Golden Horseshoe and wearing the glove. He stops and asks me "Bill, why are you wearing that glove?" I said some marketing BS from Titliest or Footjoy about the club not slipping. He then tells me that the glove does nothing for the swing and is a marketing trick to make the left hand look bigger and stronger. This is from a guy that sold a lot of gloves in the shop. I took the glove off and haven't worn another one in twenty years.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:29:02 PM »
Always worn a glove. Regrip a couple times a year.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:01 PM »
Judging from the relatively
low price and lack of tour presence, the Lamkin Crossline grips are not highly regarded -- but they are the only ones that feel good in my hands without a glove, and especially in warm weather. I may have been duped by the glove makers and the marketing, but no other grip feels right in my bare hand: the tour velvets too slippy, the multi-compounds and cords too rough, and many of the rest too mushy and 'absorbent.' So currently (my pro shop not having the Lamkin) I'm using a glove with the multi-compound grips.

Peter Flory

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 10:52:44 PM »
I could never play without a glove.  I keep my on when putting even. 

On hot days I have to switch to a rain glove to keep from slipping.  Every once in a while I have to put on the right hand rain glove if it is boiling and humid. 

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 11:20:21 PM »
I have just started going without a glove. I have done something to my left hand (which is stumping the hand surgeon) and can't straighten my fingers. I can't get a glove on my hand. Never chipped or putted with one anyway.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:37:02 PM »
I like the Foot Joy Weathersoft.  Very long lasting and not costly.  Buy multiples when on sale. I play a lot in hot weather and sweat loads.  Take it off to putt and some times between shots.  Will exchange about 3 each round.  Very rarely need to replace grips.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:49:02 PM »
Never wore a glove when young and poor. After getting first gainful employment started wearing a glove. With age and weight gain, it became harder to find a glove for a left hander XXL. Decided to go back to not wearing a glove. Developed severe dermatitis in my hand. Went back to wearing a glove. Dermatitis receded. If caught in impromptu game and no glove, dermatitis returns.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 12:03:35 AM »
Started out not using gloves.  After a rain delay whiff, I started using one.  No blisters from practice.  Keep it on even when putting.
Rain gloves indispensable.  Golf Glove integral to golf air travel.

Rick Emerson

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 12:15:50 AM »
I personally have never used one because when I was younger I barely had enough money to buy balls, much less a glove and it was just what I got used to. Also, when my financial position improved I just figured, If it is good enough for Hogan it is good enough for me. I will say that rain gloves are indispensable. I love to just not worry about the water and just wear the rain gloves in bad weather. I lived in Texas for years and grew Up in the very humid mid-atlantic and have never had problems with sweat. If you feel like it helps though, go for it.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:41 AM »
Haven't used one for almost 30 years. Just got fed up of putting on and taking off. I regrip my clubs about once a decade.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 03:05:42 AM »
Haven't worn one in decades and have no plans too.
atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:33 AM »
Have always used a glove, played baseball and actually starting using golf gloves as my batting gloves for a couple years in college. Really liked the soft leather feel.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JohnVDB

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:05 AM »
I quit wearing one in the 80s and don’t miss it.  I have cord grips which help me grip the club. I probably should change them more frequently now that I’m retired and playing.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
Used nearly every type of cabretta leather glove made for some 40 years for all shots but on the green.  Always wore them out on the pad and the left thumb, probably an indication of a bad grip.  Tour Velvet grips worked best with the gloves, though the area where the left thumb rested wore down quickly.  Chords just tore up my gloves and hands.

10 years ago, a fellow GCAer introduced me to The Grip Master.  I haven't worn a glove since and these grips last forever (the rubber cap is a problem, but I've found a partial solution).  Pricey up front, but great value nonetheless.   Fantastic in wet, humid weather- a simple wipe with a towel and they're good to go. Highly recommended.

https://www.thegripmaster.com/

Cal Seifert

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 01:00:10 PM »
MG golf is where I have been buying my gloves from. I think they are like $6 a pair and nice quality. Better than $20+ for FootJoy ones at most pro shops.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »
Is there any category of golf equipment with less advancement in the last 30 years than the golf glove?

I will say rain gloves have improved.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
I think golf socks are massively underrated.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
I wish someone could/would design a golf glove where the seam on the thumb does not work its between my thumb and the golf club. :(   

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
I wish someone could/would design a golf glove where the seam on the thumb does not work its between my thumb and the golf club. :(

Have you tried cadets?

David_Tepper

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
John K. -
"Cadet" sized golf gloves are designed for people with shorter fingers. My fingers are too long for cadet sized golf gloves.
DT

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »
I were a cadet because I have unusually large palms.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back