News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Honors Course profile is posted New
« on: July 16, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Each of us has an obligation to give back to golf – I strongly believe that to the point that if I have a close friend that doesn’t believe the same, I would be shocked and disappointed.

Happily, there are scores of ways to give back, from donating clubs/bags that would otherwise be gathering dust to imparting pertinent knowledge in this Discussion Group to always fixing an extra ball mark on the green to helping run Junior events to serving on golf committees. Some private clubs give back by hosting events. Of course, sometimes those events also make the club money. That’s fine too but I reserve my strongest applause for those that also host amateur events. Such events are money losers and the members give up the use of their facilities for a period of time, unquestionably to the betterment of the sport.

One club that stands out for doing so is The Honors Course. We all know that was Jack Lupton’s original vision but to see it flawlessly carried out over decades is something else entirely. In their 37 years, it averages holding an outside amateur event more than once every two years. These include the Senior Women’s Amateur Championship and the US Junior Amateur Championship, so the club is doing their part.
The Old Guard of Lupton, Dye and Stone are no longer around. Importantly, their legacy is as strong as ever. In fact, perhaps stronger. Last year’s winter project was firming up the landing zone off the 18th tee. Such work is hidden and goes unnoticed but is vital all the same. It is that kind of attention to detail that some clubs have the talent and resources to pursue while others don’t.

Vaughn Halyard calls me a luddite. I think he means technologically speaking but it may be more all-encompassing than that. Anyway, I am definitely a ‘stick in the mud’ when it comes to golf course etiquette. Spare me the music, keep your shirt tucked in, hat on forward, common sense things. Golf doesn’t need false trappings to be engaging. In fact, just the opposite. Peel back all outside disturbances and let the player enjoy the rhythm that comes from being cocooned in nature.  Again, in terms of quietly upholding traditions, that’s The Honors Course.

Relative to the design, I missed some things when I visited in 2001. Plus, today’s course is arguably the best it has ever been with balls running out in the fairways farther than before and their new-ish Bermuda greens providing ideal, firm playing surfaces in the important summer months. I always thought the first six in the trees were fabulous and so it was again this past June. What changed was how much more I appreciated the unsettling nature of the water holes. Before, I thought maybe the transitions were too abrupt but now I view it as more of a psychological ploy by Dye that needs to be overcome. Additionally, the horrific tornado that swept through Easter Sunday this year may end up being a blessing in disguise. The stretch of holes from 10-13 is now more prairie in feel, which only showcases the magnificent array of grasses for which the course is justly famous.

Tiger Woods remarked after winning the NCAA scoring title here in 1996 how hard the course was and that he ‘ …felt more like a survivor than a champion.’ Those who know me know that such words put me off. I judge and write things based on a course being fun to play on a regular basis from the perspective of a single digit handicap. That’s where The Honors Course soared in my eyes. I don’t want to handle 16 from 200 yards but from the 8 iron tee, I was a fan, especially relative to match play. For sure though, my favorite holes – 1, 4, 5, 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18 – are the sorts of holes that you dream of finding in rural Tennessee.  Still, there is an undeniable sense of satisfaction that comes from playing a hazard strewn hole like 15 well. Add up the three distinct playing environments (trees, water, prairie) and you have a course where variety shines.

Anyway, here is the updated profile and no more appropriate year to post an appreciation of Pete Dye:

https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/the-honors-course-tn-usa/

Hope you enjoy. From Crooked Stick to The Honors Course, it caps off one of the most magical 20 year runs a golf course architect ever enjoyed.

Best,
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:40:29 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Niall C

Re: Updated Honors Course profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
Ran

Many thanks for that, what a fantastic looking course. To be honest, I'd never heard of it which says more about me than the course, I'm sure.

Niall

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
Wow. Thanks for this, Ran. I just moved The Honors Course way up on my "to see" list.
jeffmingay.com

herrstein

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
Very well done, Ran.
As most of you know, The Honors Course was my introduction to golf and it simply changed my life.
I cannot thank Jack Lupton enough.
And for those of you thirsting for more stories from Pete Dye and The Honors, you can follow this link:
https://medium.com/@fdstein/pete-dye-d2429fc81c77
wherein I put down some memories after Pete died.
Next time you're in Chattanooga, come see me! Black Creek has seen some changes, and Lookout is in great shape.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
I look at that photo of the bunker on 10, the one nearly obscured by six-inch deep, thick rough, and I ask myself, why? What is the purpose of such thick grass, especially around a bunker? Is this a new species of hazard, called the rough bunker? I'm certain I'm picking nits, but this would not rate high on the fun meter.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:26:18 PM »
Excellent profile. Honors is a special club and wonderful course. It was nice to see it again.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 09:38:08 PM »
I look at that photo of the bunker on 10, the one nearly obscured by six-inch deep, thick rough, and I ask myself, why? What is the purpose of such thick grass, especially around a bunker? Is this a new species of hazard, called the rough bunker? I'm certain I'm picking nits, but this would not rate high on the fun meter.

I’m 99% sure that is a green side bunker that was left when that green was moved 6-8years ago. The green used to be west of that bunker. More of an aiming point now.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt Kardash

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 11:32:26 PM »
Is there a reason why all the holes were profiled except the 10th? Just curious how that works? It doesn't strike me as some clunker of a hole that isn't worth mentioning. Or is it?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Brock Lynch

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 07:00:26 AM »
Well done Ran.

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
Ran,

Thank you for this superb overview of Pete Dye's rural masterpiece in eastern Tennessee. The rich textures, varied greensites, and elegant shaping of features look so inviting to play!  I appreciate learning about the club's history and the stewardship of Jack Lupton and David Stone.

Tom Fussell

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:16:05 AM »
Ran,

Although I've not been there since, I understand a tornado ripped thru the area in April of this year, and took out some 2,000 trees.  I understand the appearance of the entrance drive thru the trees was greatly affected, as well as the amount of trees on several holes, namely 9, 12, 13, etc.   

Perhaps someone who has visited more recently can provide a better update?

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:41:57 PM »
Very well done on a masterpiece here in Tennessee!   

When scrolling through the photos,  I didn't recognize #8 with the trees missing - I thought it was a picture from a different golf course!  Then you get to 9 and usually you couldn't see the clubhouse, or if you did, you didn't even notice it.

Lupton and The Honors have been great  to amateur golf in Tennessee.  The Honors host the Women's Am every 10 years and the Men's Am every 10 years.  In addition, they usually host one more event in between.   We are blessed to have a club with such great vision to support amateur golf!
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back