News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: HarbourTown = Bowling Alley
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
Karen's ignorance of Harbour Town exhibits the downside of an online education.

William_G

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »

I watched the highlights yesterday and saw two shots I had never imagined:  Koepka landing driver on the green on #9 and having it softly roll out to four feet for eagle, and Ancer hitting 4-wood or whatever blind over the corner of the dogleg and the pond onto the green at 15.  [It looked like others did the same, I just didn't see those.]  I can't believe Mr. Nicklaus or Mr. Dye ever imagined those shots, either.  The pros just play a different game now.
I disagree, the green is huge on that blind left side and encourages one to hit it there.
Smaller green would be more appropriate
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:21:08 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Eric Smith

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
One of Kalen’s favorite Top 100 courses designed by someone with a far less mundane name than my own:

[size=78%][/size]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
Kalen is a Karen. As is anyone else who judges a course to such a degree from TV or the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)

A Karen's defining characteristics are "entitlement, selfishness, a desire to complain" and that a Karen "demands the world exist according to her standards with little regard for others, and she is willing to risk or demean others to achieve her ends."

JC Jones

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2020, 09:13:42 AM »
Way to ruin your own joke.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
I haven't played Harbour Town, but I do have a certain affinity for it as a spectator partly because it seems genuinely unique.

To me, the whole premise of this thread is flawed. The questions in the OP essentially ask "Why isn't it a bad thing that Harbour Town doesn't conform to all the hard-and-fast rules of good design?" My answer is that those hard-and-fast rules aren't hard-and-fast at all, and Harbour Town is special precisely because of the fact that it was conceived 50 years ago with the goal of breaking every trend in architecture at the time (to paraphrase Pete Dye's writing on it), and 5 decades later it's still a genuinely unique course that continues to push back against not only trends from when it was designed, but also trends since.

The questions in the OP can be categorized into three groups (with some that could be placed in multiple groups): (1) Questions insinuating poor conditioning that on-the-ground accounts confirm is no longer an issue on the property; (2) Questions that can be asked about lots of great courses where, for instance, the property might be fairly flat or have a tree or two in play in fairways or where a ball might bounce on a cart path once in a while; (3) Questions asking why Harbour Town doesn't need to conform to "the rules."

Group 1 is based on flawed assumptions to begin with, Group 2 is neither here nor there, and Group 3 is more revealing of the groupthink some of us rely on to avoid having to do the hard work of analyzing courses that break the mold than it is revealing of any shortcomings with Harbour Town.

There's another thread right now where RonMon is trying to come up with a list of courses that pose a challenge similar to Harbour Town. I think he has three courses on the list last I checked, and the third was a stretch. It's not surprising that a truly unique course would be polarizing and hard to categorize and appreciate with the same criteria we apply to courses that fit more neatly into the box. What's amazing is that Harbour Town has spent 50 years outside the box.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »
One of Kalen’s favorite Top 100 courses designed by someone with a far less mundane name than my own:

[size=78%][/size]

And if the entire course was like that, hole after hole, it certainly wouldn't be one of my favorites. 

Variety is the spice of life, especially on the golf course.

P.S.  John - hilarious commentary, keep it coming buddy!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Like it or not, if you can’t spell Harbour Town correctly, your opinion of it isn’t going to be taken that seriously.

Like it or not, I dont give a F**K what you like or not....;-)

Klassy with a “K”. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2020, 11:29:15 PM »
I wasn't overly enamoured by it when I saw it last year.

The greens were the best part of it IMO. That, the P3's and the stretch of the closing holes. I dont think its a World Top100 course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back