News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Screening, nets and barriers.
« on: June 24, 2020, 06:58:25 AM »
What are the best ... or maybe the ‘least worse‘ .... type of physical barrier against wayward golf balls in relation to both on-course and off-course situations?
- Trees?
- Nets with frames?
- Other?
- Golfer visuals ... water and bunkers?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of different methods of barrier - costs, positioning, height, materials, upkeep, related effects and implications etc.
Thoughts and experiences?
Atb

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Screening, nets and barriers.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:43:41 AM »
I'd imagine the absolute best physical barrier has to simply be space. But I'd also imagine that you're speaking of situations where space is at a premium.

If we've learned anything from the Quaker Ridge lawsuit it's clear that while nets may work they are considered ugly and are greatly frowned upon and while mature trees can also be excellent ball stoppers, make sure any tree that is needed to deflect a golf balls path is on club owned property and can't be cut down by a neighbor.

John Mayhugh

Re: Screening, nets and barriers.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:51 AM »
One of the more unique approaches I've seen was at Kilspindie. This screen had multiple panels, with a pattern printed on the screens. The foliage didn't quite match, but the concept is interesting.

DSC01601 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Thomas Dai

Re: Screening, nets and barriers. New
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 02:02:32 PM »
I'd imagine the absolute best physical barrier has to simply be space. But I'd also imagine that you're speaking of situations where space is at a premium.
If we've learned anything from the Quaker Ridge lawsuit it's clear that while nets may work they are considered ugly and are greatly frowned upon and while mature trees can also be excellent ball stoppers, make sure any tree that is needed to deflect a golf balls path is on club owned property and can't be cut down by a neighbor.

Thanks for the Quaker Ridge reminder Ben, here are GCA threads with more details -https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68072.0.html
and
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61439.0.html

Thanks for the photos John. The printed pattern is an interesting visual deception idea.

Anyone able to post some photos of other such barriers, especially any that are visually more attractive?

atb
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:25:16 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back