News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

We had a pop-up event last week as a companion to some production work we had to capture and had a COVID Safe fest.
Day one at Bedford Springs was simply festive.
I recall reading somewhere on GCA a Bedford Springs review that was less than glowing.
We might take issue with that as we had a laugh out loud walk across 3 Architectural time zones that included original serpentine bunkers and donuts. Bedford. The original features from Spencer Oldaham, Ross and Tillinghast were either forensically captured, restored, recreated, incorporated and celebrated excellently. A perfect resort course that if needed, can bare some teeth.  We experienced a great walk.
How good was our round? After the tee shot on 16, before we were done, Bausch, Cirba and I were all wondering about the replay rate.

Joe Bausch has posted a very nice photo recap deeper into this thread. Scroll Down.

We then moved to Edgewood in Pittsburgh. Edgewood is like finding a long lost sibling of Southern Pines. It is a spectacular Ross routing and bones. During our dinner chat and discussion post round chat centering on that the course would benefit from a bit of an exorcism that would certainly yield greatness. That planning process is in progress.
There is some rerouting but the majority of the green pads sit on the pure original Ross pads as built by James Harrison.
It proved to be a perfect blend of fever breaking golf, historical chat and architectural conjecture.

Thanks to this crew for joining:
Ron Forse
Jim Nagle
Joe Bausch
Mike Cirba
Pam Allen
Vaughn Halyard
Chris Blakely
Jason Mandel
Jim Sherma
Dave O'Donnell
Steve Wilson
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:53:16 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jason Mandel

Vaughn,
Thanks for organizing. Please count me in for July 1st at Bedford.
As of now I'll just be golfing and no lodging needed.

Jason Mandel
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

MCirba

Vaughn,

Are you trying to attract others or scare them away by mentioning that Dr. Bausch and I will be in attendance?    ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V_Halyard

Vaughn,

Are you trying to attract others or scare them away by mentioning that Dr. Bausch and I will be in attendance?    ;D
Shock and Awe...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Joe Bausch

Vaughn,

Shock and Awe...

Aw shucks.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Sherma

I admit to being concerned about/for Joe and Mike - but will willingly play good golf courses with them.

Can do Bedford but spoken for on the second. Playing a fine dark ages Ed Ault special that is pleasantly wonderful. Piney Branch GC in Upperco, MD. A golf club does not need to be more complicated than this.

Steve Wilson

I am in for golf at Bedford.  I played there many years ago when it was in a state of magnificent ruin.  I still have a hat from that weekend stashed away somewhere.  Protocol for reserving my place.  Do you need money for the green fee?

While some may be reluctant to play with Joe and Mike I must insist on not being forced to play with anyone whose surname ends in a.  It's a religious thing.  OK, I'm being facetious.

So, yes for golf at Bedford, no to everything else.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Evan Fleisher

It pains me to have this group so close (geographically) and not join in...but over the holiday weekend we're upgrading our Oracle ERP system and unfortunately I'm one of the folks on point for implementation actions and will be spending too many of my holiday hours working.

Have fun, gang!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

V_Halyard

It pains me to have this group so close (geographically) and not join in...but over the holiday weekend we're upgrading our Oracle ERP system and unfortunately I'm one of the folks on point for implementation actions and will be spending too many of my holiday hours working.

Have fun, gang!
Sorry E.
Somebody here knows Larry Ellison. We should give him a call on the boat.

V_Halyard

I am in for golf at Bedford.  I played there many years ago when it was in a state of magnificent ruin.  I still have a hat from that weekend stashed away somewhere.  Protocol for reserving my place.  Do you need money for the green fee?

While some may be reluctant to play with Joe and Mike I must insist on not being forced to play with anyone whose surname ends in a.  It's a religious thing.  OK, I'm being facetious.

So, yes for golf at Bedford, no to everything else.
lol Got it thx!
Will send hotel info if needed. Will likely have folks pay on site.

Jim Sherma

Looking forward to seeing Bedford again. Some very good stuff there and a treat of a course. Wish I could spend the night and play Edgewood as well.

Vaughn - do we have an idea on tee times yet?

Steve - proudly having a last name ending in a - I am hoping our last rounds together did not scare you off.

V_Halyard

Looking forward to seeing Bedford again. Some very good stuff there and a treat of a course. Wish I could spend the night and play Edgewood as well.

Vaughn - do we have an idea on tee times yet?

Steve - proudly having a last name ending in a - I am hoping our last rounds together did not scare you off.
Will finalize this am and email you.
- V

JNagle

V -

Thanks for organizing the details.  I am very excited to see this come together.  Unfortunately, a construction visit to Philadelphia CC is calling me away on Wednesday.  My hope is to make it to Bedford in time for a later dinner or a beer with anyone still there.  I will be at Edgewood on Thursday.  I for one, always look forward to seeing Mike and Joe. 
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

V_Halyard

With the fluidity of the COVID travel environment if you are interested in joining us at Bedford and Edgewood just PM via your GCA messenger or sign up here.

We have Noon Tee times at both Bedford on the 1st and Edgewood on the 2nd

We have discount rooms at Bedford if people are interested.
We will be hosting and document post round discussions

To reemphasize, all appropriate COVID precautions will be in effect.
Thanks all and see those of you attending and welcome those interested in joining.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:58:21 AM by V_Halyard »

Steve Wilson

First of all, thanks to Vaughn for organizing this get together and to Bedford Springs for being gracious hosts.  That being said it was great to see old friends and to meet new people, Vaughn, Dave, Pam and Ron Forse.  It was also stunning to discover that Ron Forse is a Mountaineer.  The logo on his golfing shorts was a giveaway.

I played Bedford once before when it was nearly neglected to the point on extinction.  I remembered some of that course as we made our way around yesterday, number four the Volcano hole in particular, but the course now must be near or more likely beyond the best it ever was in the good old days. 

My only concern is the ASCPA may be investigating Forse and others for the significant amount of large dead mammals they interred in the greens to create movement, ledges, shelves, plateaus, etc.  There's just not that much dead roadkill of that size in central Pennsylvania.  Are the zoos missing any rhinos, hippos, elephants, or other megafauna. 

Another puzzle to meet was that I seemed to miss all the greens on the short side.  I'm not certain if this means I played badly or if the green complexes afford only short sides.

Great fun, great people, and a very well conditioned and challenging golf course with sufficient width in the landing areas, but I thought the highlight of the course had to be the green complexes as there would seem to be an abundance of pin positions.  If your haven't been to Bedford since it was resurrected, you should make an effort to get there.  And if you have seen it since the rebirth, then perhaps a little nudge like this would get you to return.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Joe Bausch

What a wonderful two days of golf that was!

Thanks to Vaughn for all the heavy lifting he did.  Photos to follow after I rest up a bit as it was very hot on the trip.

Jim Sherma

Vaughn - Great outing, thanks again for setting it up.

Wish I would have had more time to talk to the guys in the first group off. Unfortunately life interferes sometimes. Also really wish I could have made it to Edgewood.

Bedford Springs is a wonderful course and playing with Ron Forse was a treat. Wonderful company and a great educator, his passion for the project was wonderful to experience. I think Bedford is a must play course - the conditioning is top notch and there are really nice old school architectural touches that you don't see on many courses. The greens are certainly not flattened resort course greens as Steve Wilson stated. Some special ones that stick out to me are 3!, 6, 7, 9!, 11, 12 (although Ron informed us that the front ridge I liked is evidently built up top dressing), 15 and 18. Not to say the rest are boring by any means, just that these are a little special.

Bedford Springs is a strong recommendation for anyone to go out of their way to play.

I did have one imponderable that I can't answer: How can you have an Old Course with no New Course?

Joe Bausch

Ahhh, trying to catch up processing photos, and I've now completed those from the wonderful day at Bedford Springs.

Here's four pics from the album (these photos are clickable to a larger size):

The par 5 3rd hole runs along flatter ground with some of Oldham's 1895 bunkers to the left, leading to this double-plateau green:

Here is the green on the par 5 9th hole:

"Gulley" is the name of the very short par 3 10th hole:

In the restoration of the course by Forse and Nagle in 2007, they brought back the Tilly par 3 17th hole that was removed in the 1970s, it is Redan-inspired me thinks:

Lighting for this early afternoon round was pretty good most of the time.  You can view the entire photo-essay in an album formatted quite wide w/ little compression here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/BedfordSprings_2020/index.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:18:29 AM by Joe Bausch »

V_Halyard

What a wonderful two days of golf that was!

Thanks to Vaughn for all the heavy lifting he did.  Photos to follow after I rest up a bit as it was very hot on the trip.
It was going so well until I said aloud, "I really want to see the serpentine bunker..."

Joe Bausch

Re: RECAP: PA - Bedford Springs and Edgewood CC July 1 and 2, 2020
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 12:48:51 PM »
On the 2nd day we played Edgewood CC, a Donald Ross design with Forse Design, Inc currently doing some work there, slowly but surely.

ECC has a very nice routing, clearly one of Ross' strengths.

(all pics that follow are clickable to a larger size)

View from behind the green on the dogleg-left par 4 1st:

View from behind the green on the par 4 2nd:

View from the green on the uphill par 4 10th:

View from behind the green on the uphill par 4 18th:

A photo album of the entire course is here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Edgewood/index.html

Enjoy!

V_Halyard

Vaughn - Great outing, thanks again for setting it up.

Wish I would have had more time to talk to the guys in the first group off. Unfortunately life interferes sometimes. Also really wish I could have made it to Edgewood.

Bedford Springs is a wonderful course and playing with Ron Forse was a treat. Wonderful company and a great educator, his passion for the project was wonderful to experience. I think Bedford is a must play course - the conditioning is top notch and there are really nice old school architectural touches that you don't see on many courses. The greens are certainly not flattened resort course greens as Steve Wilson stated. Some special ones that stick out to me are 3!, 6, 7, 9!, 11, 12 (although Ron informed us that the front ridge I liked is evidently built up top dressing), 15 and 18. Not to say the rest are boring by any means, just that these are a little special.

Bedford Springs is a strong recommendation for anyone to go out of their way to play.

I did have one imponderable that I can't answer: How can you have an Old Course with no New Course?
I think you can have an Old Course if there are plans for a New one in the future.lol

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back