News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

What are fun interclub competitions?
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
We have started some “Ryder Cup” competitions with a few local clubs.  Everyone loves the camaraderie and competition but the format tends to better ball then some form of shamble/ scramble.  Matches are sometimes tallied but other times just points.  Playing all holes is a priority so skins work as usual.

Seems we could do better.

What are good examples of inter club competitions everyone involved enjoys that fit the US golfer play every hole mindset?

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

John Emerson

Re: What are fun interclub competitions?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:41:49 PM »
Stableford?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

David Harshbarger

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
Stableford?

Do you mean like a straight up stable ford then you everyone’s score to come to a team score?

Is that why Stableford exists? Kind of makes sense now.

That sounds pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:03:01 PM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:40:33 PM »
You could play it like Bernard Darwin played for, I think Oxford. They played individual matches and totaled 18 hole match results to get the team competition results. So perhaps Cambridge won by 5 more holes won total.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Harshbarger

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:50:57 PM »
You could play it like Bernard Darwin played for, I think Oxford. They played individual matches and totaled 18 hole match results to get the team competition results. So perhaps Cambridge won by 5 more holes won total.

That’s how we played with a point for winning a nine.  Scored ranged from 10-10 to 15-5 last time. 

When the event is called a “Ryder Cup” the thinking goes each nine should be a different format.

In that vein the modified alternate shot (Greensomes?) at the match played well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:06:56 AM by David Harshbarger »

Kyle Casella

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
I've seen closeout matches where the first match is worth something like 3 points (front, back, overall); and then the first closeout is worth one point; and if there is a second closeout, it's worth a half point. For example:

Team A wins on 15, 4 & 3 after winning the front and back, so they get 3 points. Team B wins the second match after winning 16 and 17, so they get a point. Then Team B wins again on 18 and they get a half point. Team A: 3 points; team B: 1.5 points.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
The 12-man team interclub league that the Northern California Golf Association has run for the last 30 or so years is a great competition.

Within each 4-ball that tees off there are 3 matches going on, the 2 lowest handicaps in each 4-ball play a match against each other and the 2 higher handicaps play a match against each other. Then the two 2-man teams play a better-ball match against each other. You can have some interesting outcomes in this format, where one side loses both their singles matches yet wins the better ball match.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
The interclub I'd most like to play in someday would be the out and back match between Prestwick and Troon. Start on your own 1st, play 18 towards the opponents clubhouse, eat lunch there. And then play 18 back to your home clubhouse.

An intraclub format which sounded clever is the foursomes knockout the R&A puts on where you switch partners each round that you advance. So to win the event you must win 5 or 6 foursomes matches in a row, each with a different partner.

Michael

David Harshbarger

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
I've seen closeout matches where the first match is worth something like 3 points (front, back, overall); and then the first closeout is worth one point; and if there is a second closeout, it's worth a half point. For example:

Team A wins on 15, 4 & 3 after winning the front and back, so they get 3 points. Team B wins the second match after winning 16 and 17, so they get a point. Then Team B wins again on 18 and they get a half point. Team A: 3 points; team B: 1.5 points.

That's an interesting format for keeping things going. Thanks.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »
The 12-man team interclub league that the Northern California Golf Association has run for the last 30 or so years is a great competition.

Within each 4-ball that tees off there are 3 matches going on, the 2 lowest handicaps in each 4-ball play a match against each other and the 2 higher handicaps play a match against each other. Then the two 2-man teams play a better-ball match against each other. You can have some interesting outcomes in this format, where one side loses both their singles matches yet wins the better ball match.

That makes for quite a bit of action in the match.  It takes some of the 4-ball strategy away, doesn't it?  Or is that strategy more interesting when you have to trade off against the individual match.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »
The interclub I'd most like to play in someday would be the out and back match between Prestwick and Troon. Start on your own 1st, play 18 towards the opponents clubhouse, eat lunch there. And then play 18 back to your home clubhouse.

An intraclub format which sounded clever is the foursomes knockout the R&A puts on where you switch partners each round that you advance. So to win the event you must win 5 or 6 foursomes matches in a row, each with a different partner.

Michael

I definitely like switching the partners between matches.  That speaks to the Ryder cup format where at least the switching can occur.   Thanks.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:50 PM »
The Julian Curtiss Cup is a wonderful interclub event in the northeast.  12 of the nation's oldest clubs gather annually with six man teams - the Club President, Golf Chair and Champion + an A, B and C golfer.  I played in a few for Montclair Golf Club - from memory some of the other clubs are Apawamis, Misquamicut, Rockaway Hunting, Dorset Field, Essex County and Greenwich Country Club.  A practice round Friday followed by an 18 hole event played at full handicap with the top 4 net scores per team counting, I believe.  A great time had by all!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »
The Julian Curtiss Cup is a wonderful interclub event in the northeast.  12 of the nation's oldest clubs gather annually with six man teams - the Club President, Golf Chair and Champion + an A, B and C golfer.  I played in a few for Montclair Golf Club - from memory some of the other clubs are Apawamis, Misquamicut, Rockaway Hunting, Dorset Field, Essex County and Greenwich Country Club.  A practice round Friday followed by an 18 hole event played at full handicap with the top 4 net scores per team counting, I believe.  A great time had by all!

That sounds like a blast.  I think the competition to be the a, b, or c golfer would be pretty fierce at our club!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back