News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

15 at Rustic Canyon - Does it Need a Bit More "Space"?
« on: June 02, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
First off, I love Rustic and all of Hanse's work I've had the privilege of playing.

I've played Rustic many, many times in all kinds of conditions and all kinds of round types (competitive, practice rounds, "fun" rounds, etc.) The one hole on the property that seems to need a bit of a "tweak" is 15. I love the hole, but believe it would benefit from a tiny bit more "space" in the back tier to make the back pin position more viable in a tournament. As it is, I don't think I've ever seen it there in a qualifier or championship -- certainly not when the wind is up and the greens are firm and running ~12.

Even the middle tier could use a bit more room when the wind is up and the greens fast. Any miss long or right can cause even a moderately difficult recovery shot to roll all the way off the front and far down the hill that fronts the green -- not that there's anything "wrong" with that, necessarily(?)...

I'm really not sure how I feel about the hole. Personally, I have always scored well there, but it seems like it needs a tiny bit more green space to support the severe contours. Thoughts from those who have played it? Am I crazy? Is there room for disagreement there? Or am I just flat-out wrong (I could take that)?

Brent Carlson

Re: 15 at Rustic Canyon - Does it Need a Bit More "Space"?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:08:22 PM »
First off, I love Rustic and all of Hanse's work I've had the privilege of playing.

I've played Rustic many, many times in all kinds of conditions and all kinds of round types (competitive, practice rounds, "fun" rounds, etc.) The one hole on the property that seems to need a bit of a "tweak" is 15. I love the hole, but believe it would benefit from a tiny bit more "space" in the back tier to make the back pin position more viable in a tournament. As it is, I don't think I've ever seen it there in a qualifier or championship -- certainly not when the wind is up and the greens are firm and running ~12.

Even the middle tier could use a bit more room when the wind is up and the greens fast. Any miss long or right can cause even a moderately difficult recovery shot to roll all the way off the front and far down the hill that fronts the green -- not that there's anything "wrong" with that, necessarily(?)...

I'm really not sure how I feel about the hole. Personally, I have always scored well there, but it seems like it needs a tiny bit more green space to support the severe contours. Thoughts from those who have played it? Am I crazy? Is there room for disagreement there? Or am I just flat-out wrong (I could take that)?

David,

Great topic.  I just played tonight when the pin was in the middle.  I softly putted from the back tier and the ball almost stopped at the slope and it still rolled down through the middle tier past the pin onto the front of the green.  I know I should have hit it onto the correct tier from the tee in the first place.  The greens are recently punched and relatively slow.

To your questions:

- Does the back tier need more space?  Yes.

- Could the middle tier use more room?  Yes.

As an armchair architect I defer to the professionals who created the original green.  I like the hole but would love to see the green expanded in general.  It would make the hole better IMO and more playable on windy days.

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back