News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2020, 12:10:49 AM »
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill Area - considering anything within 30 minutes of RDU - Excludes Pinehurst and Greensboro areas, with apologies to the Deuce and Old Town, which would both be atop this list.

1 - Hope Valley
2 - Hasentree
3 - Raleigh
4 - Treyburn
5 - NCSU Lonnie Poole
6 - Governor's Club
7 - Old Chatham
8 - 12 Oaks
9 - MacGregor Downs
10 - Croasdaile

---

11 - UNC Finley
12 - Wakefield Plantation
13 - Duke
14 - Brier Creek
15 - Prestonwood Highlands

John Crowley

« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
My Favorites - Alphabetically.

Tier one:

Interlachen Country Club
Minikahda Club
Minneapolis Golf Club (Former home and previous #1 favorite)
White Bear Yacht Club
Windsong Farm Golf Club (Home and current #1 favorite)

Tier two:

Golden Valley Country Club
Midland Hills Country Club
Oak Ridge Country Club
Somerset Country Club
Town and Country Club

Public:
Chaska Town Course
Stoneridge Golf Course

John Handley

« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »
Austin, TX

Spanish Oaks GC
Austin GC
Austin CC
Barton Creek Fazio Canyons
Barton Creek Fazio Foothills
The Hills of Lakeway - Hills Course

Escondido, Summit Rock, Ram Rock and Apple Rock are good too but they are an hour away in Marble Falls.

2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2020, 05:01:08 PM »
Is everyone asleep in the Western US?

Nice to see Wayne list Berkeley CC (fka Mira Vista). I think Berkeley never gets enough due. It truly is one of a kind, not only being Hunter's only solo work, but the site would never be attempted again  ;)

Also nice for the New Mexico list to have Arroyo del Oso, one of my mentor's designs c.1970s. (Arthur Jack Snyder, ASGCA)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:41 PM »
Is everyone asleep in the Western US?

Were you looking for any specific western city?
The major west coast cities have been covered by this thread.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
Hi Garland. I did not see Phoenix, 5th (or 6th) largest of US Cities. Maybe I missed it. A few others missed, but you are correct. They are lesser markets. East coast and midwest seemed to be much higher participation — but that is always the case as there are so many more classic era courses in those regions. And, as we know, classic era courses remain the "favs" of the GCA group.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff Schley

« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
Not an expert but I'll give my top 5 for the Middle East region.
1. Emirates Majlis (Dubai) - was I think the first desert course and although doesn't have the water views has enough doglegs around the various lakes that makes it fun. Also I really like the variety of greenside bunkering. Some have just left/right, others front/back and even a few without any greenside bunkers.
2. Yas Links (Abu Dhabi) - right on the water and uses mounding well IMO. Greens are tougher to putt than the Majlis IMO. Problem here is the water table is so low that the course can get flooded out on occasion. Nice facility/clubhouse as is common for many ME courses.
3. Trump International (Dubai) - Really like this layout with a variety of par 4's were impressive. It is routed through a development of some housing/condos (surprise), but the course is in tremendous conditioning and greens have quite a bit of runoff around them.
4. Saadiyat Beach (Abu Dhabi) - Part of a island resort development and has some gorgeous ocean view holes. Very prone to wind which is a good defense. Greens are smaller than a typical desert resort course. Have some very severe bunking (like #16 at PGA West Stadium severe)
5. Royal Greens (KSA) - Young course which hosts the Euro event and has some nice ocean views. The greens are large and is a mix of Majlis and Saadiyat Beach. Pretty easy off the tees, you can play from waste bunkers, where at Majlis they have quite a bit of tree growth over the years now. They keep the greens so fast ahead of the Euro tour event that amateurs can putt off some of the greens.

Honorable Mention -
Rolling Hills GC (KSA) - our course here in Aramco for employees. Very tough approach shots as 3-4 greens are slopped away and bunkers force air carries on many. With the wind that always blows plays tougher than the 137 slope from 6600 yards.
Royal Golf Club (Bahrain) - used to play a Euro tour event here, pretty tight course with some quirk. Has a drive able par 4 and a biarritz par 3.

Jumeriah Golf Estates Earth (Dubai) - They play the Race to Dubai here and is a lot of eye candy for they keep it very green adn white sand bunkers. I don't particularly enjoy the layout as it lacks some character. It does have some elevation change which is rare for a desert course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Rooney

« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »
Nislam,good answer but no Liddy courses in Ohio.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back