News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Bill Bergin article in Georgia Golf Magazine
« on: May 20, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
Bill is on the cover and the subject of a lengthy interview article in the current edition of the GSGA magazine.  It's worth a read, and if you ever get the chance, play his golf courses, either the original designs or the renovations.  Smart, thoughtful guy who remains an excellent player as well. 

I've had the good fortune to play several of his courses with him, and count those rounds as among my best and favorite GCA learning experiences.
https://www.gsga.org/membership/golf-georgia-magazine
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Forrest Richardson

Re: Bill Bergin article in Georgia Golf Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »
Great to see Bill make the cover! Our ASGCA members are a handsome bunch, but Bill plays the role very well  :D
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
He must be a charming fellow because I have no idea how the hell he won the job to rebuild/renovate Raynor's Minnesota Valley CC.
H.P.S.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
Not sure what your post implies? Or if it does. Bill does great work and is very thoughtful when it comes to working with classic courses. I first met him in Tulsa, before he became an ASGCA member, and recall a great conversation that included Bill Coore.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »
He must be a charming fellow because I have no idea how the hell he won the job to rebuild/renovate Raynor's Minnesota Valley CC.
Bill, whether charming or not, is really, really good at what he does, and I think that is becoming better and better known.  He spends a huge amount of time on site, and consistently brings projects in on time and under budget.  I wouldn't think that "charm" would play much of a part in multi-million dollar decisions about which GCA to hire, but then I've never made such a decision, and likely won't ever.

I think his renovation at Chattanooga CC was sort of a turning point, perhaps, along with Pinetree in Georgia.  Both have hosted some fairly significant competitions since his work, and both are the type of courses that he can show a prospective client in person as part of the bid process.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »
I thought it was a nice article...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back