News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

What club/course has the best one stop shopping small clubhouse/bar/proshop as a permanent feature?
Something with Morfontaine like Golf shop (closet) bar, fireplace, all rolled into one, with perhaps a porch/awning for larger .
gatherings or a scoreboard.
Somewhere you could grab a beer or a burger, warm by a fire, or even comfortably preround stretch in a corner, yet feels like a rustic cabin.
a halfway house meets pro shop meets locker room-focus on function.

Bonus for being incorprated into the backdrop and environment of a finishing and/or starting hole

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

Re: Coolest, most charming multifunction 19th(and 1st) hole
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club is a good one.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:21 AM »
I’m guessing the US version of this will be much “bigger” than the GB&I one.

I always fancied the idea of designing a country / seaside course in Ireland, directly from the local pub / inn (complete with open fire), extended merely to fit in showers and changing room facilities at the back.

Thought this would be the best solution at Inch if they ever got planning permission.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club is a good one.

very nice and charming, but still has a designeated pro shop and large indoor dining area.
A perfect daily fee/resort setup-
Bandon does these well also.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
I’m guessing the US version of this will be much “bigger” than the GB&I one.

I always fancied the idea of designing a country / seaside course in Ireland, directly from the local pub / inn (complete with open fire), extended merely to fit in showers and changing room facilities at the back.

Thought this would be the best solution at Inch if they ever got planning permission.

Getting warmer.
Narin and Portnoo's original setup(circa 1997) was ideal. Bar/pro shop all rolled in to one.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
Don't know what it is like today but the old Enniscrone fit the bill. It even had an honesty box.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:58:55 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
 8)

Saucon Valley in Bethlehem has a great outside deck with bar , grill and casual dining. Actually vcan get a medium rare burger just right there. Plus the beer is on tap and cold! 

The Weyhill course at Saucon is outstanding

Dave Givnish

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »
Ben’s Porch - Sand Hills. Perfect place for a burger and a drink

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
Hi Jeff,
The Dunes Club in southwest Michigan has a small building for all pre- and post-round functions.  It is functional and attractive.
Perhaps that qualifies here.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »
On my one visit (15 years ago at least), I thought the clubhouse/shop/bar, etc) at Tobacco Road was very well done for a small facility - very efficient, warm and welcoming.

If it has been altered, it may have lost that charm.

BK

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
On my one visit (15 years ago at least), I thought the clubhouse/shop/bar, etc) at Tobacco Road was very well done for a small facility - very efficient, warm and welcoming.

If it has been altered, it may have lost that charm.

BK

Bruce-I thought of Tobacco Road when I referenced Caledonia as they are similar in their simplicity. Additionally both are Mike Strantz courses.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
BTW, when we originally opened 45 years ago, we built the clubhouse on the foundation of earth sheltered pioneer house.  There were fireplaces and the bar and pro shop were all one room.  Very cozy, but when the golfers stayed for drinks and the pros went home, the merchandise disappeared.  At the time the pro ran the pro shop as his own business and soon created a separated space that could be closed off and locked.     

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 04:38:53 PM »
I agree with Bruce, Tobacco Road checks all the boxes. 

Jim Sherma

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »
Not completely multi-functional, but Hayfields in MD in Cockeysville, MD is a real cozy set up. Almost all of the buildings on property are repurposed pre-civil war construction. The pro shop is in an old barn while in a different old building (the former slave's quarters) is a fireplace, short bar and small seating area. They have a more formal club house in the original manor house but it rarely ever gets used except for the locker room in the basement and some special events. Really cool bar room to spend some time in after the round.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 01:13:53 AM »
I thought of Tobacco Road as well. Also, Dormie Club, but I think that will change.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

rjsimper

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
I don't particularly care for the Tobacco Road setup, but based on this criteria it is the exact embodiment of what's been asked for here.
I always feel like it's a little bit TOO centralized. And cart pickup is too far away. But those are minor quibbles against what is always a most enjoyable day.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
Wildwood Green near Raleigh has an excellent house as well. Quite small with a decent proshop, place to eat simple food inside and out. There is ever a small lockeroom with a shower.

Ciao

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 06:13:20 PM »
Furman University’s house meet the bill with only two main rooms... the pro shop in one and the grill in the other. There is no bar as such, just a nice small grill that serves fantastic sandwiches and burgers, but only can beer and no sprits. A nice small deck area out back looks over the ninth green. It’s probably a bit too simple to make the Yank happy.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
Furman University’s house meet the bill with only two main rooms... the pro shop in one and the grill in the other. There is no bar as such, just a nice small grill that serves fantastic sandwiches and burgers, but only can beer and no sprits. A nice small deck area out back looks over the ninth green. It’s probably a bit too simple to make the Yank happy.

Sounds very similar to Wildwood Green!  While its a bit no frills functional, it does the job.  I still prefer Dormie because of the setting and it does have a small locer room. 

It would be interesting if you had members lined up and asked them if they are willing to pay X to build, maintain, insure and staff each room.  How many rooms would get dropped from a plan?  I guess the same could be said for a course. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:28:17 PM by Sean_A »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
Erin Hills original clubhouse

David Wuthrich

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
I will second The Dunes in Michigan. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
The cabin-like clubhouse at the Buffalo Ridge Springs at Big Cedar Lodge fits into this conversation as well. Pro shop, little bar and patio looking down onto the range and first hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Buck Wolter

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 11:27:33 AM »

Not exactly charming but the prefab (nicer than a doublewide) proshop, office, dining room, bathrooms,  kitchen, bar at Kingsley fits the bill. Tells you what's important and what's not. Given the current restrictions it makes more sense than ever.

I
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Gene Greco

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »
First clubhouse at Friars Head.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Matt Dupre

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
To echo Gene somewhat, the current clubhouse at Kingsley - counting the back porch/patio.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back