News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Time to play a round of golf
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
A comment I’ve been hearing quite a bit since the re-opening of the game in England, where we’ve been playing singles or 2-balls only so far, is how much fun it’s been completing 18-holes on foot in circa 2-1/2 or 3 hrs or thereabouts. And also how nice it’s been playing with 10-12 minute tee-time gaps.
Has this been the feedback elsewhere and is there a lesson here for the future of the game or is it something that will most likely drop by the wayside in due course?
Atb

Mark Pearce

Re: Time to play a round of golf
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
I have played twice since we were allowed back on the course.  2 hours 40 minutes and 3 hours.  It has been great.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
Reminds me of how quickly I get around Orlando without the 68.5 million tourists that visit each year. We are the Omega men.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
I played five rounds since May 7th all at the same public course. Online booking only and no carts. No starter during the week. Show up and play.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
Not only the time it takes to play a round.

I live a 40 minute drive from my club.

Except now it is a 30 minute drive!

Every cloud...

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
A comment I’ve been hearing quite a bit since the re-opening of the game in England, where we’ve been playing singles or 2-balls only so far, is how much fun it’s been completing 18-holes on foot in circa 2-1/2 or 3 hrs or thereabouts. And also how nice it’s been playing with 10-12 minute tee-time gaps.
Has this been the feedback elsewhere and is there a lesson here for the future of the game or is it something that will most likely drop by the wayside in due course?
Atb
Yes a lot of people like the speed of play and spacing of tee times, but it will be short lived as soon as 4 ball play is allowed, very few clubs could manage financially with only 30% of the pie. Some clubs have been restricting to 9 holes or the amount of times they can play in the week. With good weather and many not working everyone wants to play. 4 ball is more fun to most people which in some respects is a shame if it was a 50-50 split with 2 ball or 4 ball you could at least get one quick nine!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:42:15 PM »
I suggest you all get a copy of OUT OF TIME, by the late Bill Yates — the Pace-of-Play Guru (and a great friend).

https://www.amazon.com/OUT-TIME-shows-ultimate-experience/dp/0578639815/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=out+of+time+bill+yates&qid=1590118896&s=movies-tv&sr=8-1

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »
multiple silver linings..
pace of play
walking
thinking for oneself
the "game" being the reason people come to the club-for exrecise, outdoor fresh air/scenery and cameraderie without all the layers of frivolous trappings associated with golf in America.
not so great in the short/medium run for many people working in the golf business(many are still working off the bloat of the "golf boom"), but not bad for "golf" itself-which ultimately may be good for all in the long term-with a lot of pain and dislocation for lower level employees not fortunate enough to work at a club that can carry them indefinitely.
I have seen a large amount of Southwest Air "miracles" as far as medical/age cart use, something we were already quite restrictive of.We have one cart request per day over the next 4 days, a historically incredibly busy weekend.
To be fair, many of our older members have chosen to shelter in place in Florida so we'll see how things evolve as we move forward.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:47:19 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
Not all the news is so rosy, sorry to say.

Here in Chicago, a city of 3M people with a surrounding population of 8M people, it has meant that couurses - public and private - have been VERY difficult to access.

Even if you belong to a private club, you are still annoyed.
Twosomes are spaced 15 minutes and rules strictly enforced.

Tee times all done online for private clubs and members only allowed to book 2 times per week. No guests.
Can play with family members only if they live under your roof.

Now, mind you, once you actually get on the golf course, then TD's bucolic picture of golf from yesteryear can be realized.

But, Holy Sh*T, getting there is real battle!

Tal Oz

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 06:30:19 PM »
I must say my experience is much closer to Ian's than anyone else in the thread. Rustic Canyon is slammed beyond belief, 4somes booked solid 10 min intervals until 6p tee off most every day. Rounds are routinely taking 4.5+ hours. Now that LA city courses and privates are open again I'm hoping it will cool off a bit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back