News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Billsteele

OT -Sweetens Cove (The Bourbon)
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »

John Emerson

Re: OT -Sweetens Cove (The Bourbon)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »
I’m born and raised in Kentucky and there’s a couple things us Kentuckians do well....horses, and bourbon.  With that said there is not a bottle of bourbon on the market that I would pay that kind of money for.  Not even Pappy VanWinkle! Four Roses ($30)is as good as it gets and it outperforms other high, overpriced bourbons in blind taste tests regularly!  Side note Jim Beam 7yr is the best bang for your buck on the market.  This again regularly wins in blind taste tests. So, unless someone gives me the SC bourbon I definitely will not be trying it anytime soon.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »
I’m born and raised in Kentucky and there’s a couple things us Kentuckians do well....horses, and bourbon.  With that said there is not a bottle of bourbon on the market that I would pay that kind of money for.  Not even Pappy VanWinkle! Four Roses ($30)is as good as it gets and it outperforms other high, overpriced bourbons in blind taste tests regularly!  Side note Jim Beam 7yr is the best bang for your buck on the market.  This again regularly wins in blind taste tests. So, unless someone gives me the SC bourbon I definitely will not be trying it anytime soon.

Four Roses, any others? I've been partial to Woodford Reserve, it is good and I enjoyed touring their distillery. But I'm willing to branch out...

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 10:20:36 PM »

Four Roses, any others? I've been partial to Woodford Reserve, it is good and I enjoyed touring their distillery. But I'm willing to branch out...

Woodford is great bourbon.  I prefer Four Roses to anything out there though.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »

Seems like doing something to support a local company like this would have been more on brand than a super-premium cash grab.
https://chattanoogawhiskey.com/1816-series/

This is worth a watch:
 https://content.schwab.com/web/retail/public/corporatesponsorships/challengers-video-king-and-collins.html

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »

If people would blind taste bourbons they'd stop chasing labels and buying dramatically overpriced bottles. Blind taste and figure out what you actually like.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:39:34 AM »

Seems like doing something to support a local company like this would have been more on brand than a super-premium cash grab.

There was a rumor a while back that the grand vision for the property included a Chattanooga Whiskey tasting room. So it's possible the 100 barrels they used for this were actually from Chattanooga Whiskey, although I'm not sure they've been in business long enough to have 13 year old barrels. Maybe that plan has changed or maybe SC spirits is doing what so many start up spirits companies are doing and sourcing their early runs of whiskey. Chattanooga may be their long term partner but they don't currently have product on had to meed SC's needs today.

It's also a bit curious that the product is called Tennessee Bourbon. Most, if not all, distilleries in the state call their product Tennessee Whiskey, even if they are technically Bourbon. That makes me believe that the source 100 barrels were not distilled in Tennessee.  If I was to harbor a guess, I'd say that the source barrels are from MGP and that the final blend was done by Marianne Eaves in house in Tennessee.

Either way it could still be a fantastic whiskey, all be it expensive, and something I'll probably never get a chance to try.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:18 AM »
All the Buck Club boys have already bought them all up. Now we're going to have to stare at 12 months of Instagram posts of these dweebs drinking their $200 bourbon out of Solo cups next to the 9th green of some beat up $12 muni.  :P
H.P.S.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »

There was a rumor a while back that the grand vision for the property included a Chattanooga Whiskey tasting room. So it's possible the 100 barrels they used for this were actually from Chattanooga Whiskey, although I'm not sure they've been in business long enough to have 13 year old barrels. Maybe that plan has changed or maybe SC spirits is doing what so many start up spirits companies are doing and sourcing their early runs of whiskey. Chattanooga may be their long term partner but they don't currently have product on had to meed SC's needs today.

It's also a bit curious that the product is called Tennessee Bourbon. Most, if not all, distilleries in the state call their product Tennessee Whiskey, even if they are technically Bourbon. That makes me believe that the source 100 barrels were not distilled in Tennessee.  If I was to harbor a guess, I'd say that the source barrels are from MGP and that the final blend was done by Marianne Eaves in house in Tennessee.

Either way it could still be a fantastic whiskey, all be it expensive, and something I'll probably never get a chance to try.

My guess is Dickel barrels --I think if they don't charcoal filter it before bottling it can be Bourbon. Smooth Ambler uses alot of Dickel as does Barrell Bourbon.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Keith Williams

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:01:35 AM »

Fun seeing a bourbon thread here.

As for Tennessee Bourbon vs Tennessee Whiskey, that is likely because their product isn't filtered through charcoal after distillation, a supposed essential step to claim to be Tennessee Whiskey.

I thought the label chasing would finally come to an end after the recent success of Henry McKenna 10-year, but it appears to remain in full force.

Good recommendations so far.  For budget bourbon, I'll add Evan Williams BiB (white label), especially for mixing (makes a great Old Fashioned) as well Old Forester 1920 for mid-tier.

Keith

Bernie Bell

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »

If people would blind taste bourbons they'd stop chasing labels and buying dramatically overpriced bottles. Blind taste and figure out what you actually like.
Same with golf?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »
I was on an emergency booze run and pulled into a shithole stripmall Orlando Liquor store. You see a million of them. They had 5 bottles of Blanton's. I bought 4. It's better than most.

I was playing some old dude $5 skins giving him 22 strokes. Told him at the start of the match that I was going to take 3 times whatever I won and get me a bottle of bourbon. Ended up winning 7 skins for $35 and figured I'd get a great bottle for $115. Took $150 each for the Blanton's. Can't win for losing.

btw: For the uninitiated, Blanton's at $150 a bottle is like a new custom leather Mackenzie for $600. As my wife has told me many times, it's like finding money on the street.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
My guess is Dickel barrels --I think if they don't charcoal filter it before bottling it can be Bourbon. Smooth Ambler uses alot of Dickel as does Barrell Bourbon.

I looked it up on the TTB registry. Sweetens Cove is being made by Tennessee Distilling LTD in Columbia, TN. Which matches up with the label location for Sweetens Cove Spirits. This is the same company who made the Kirkland 7yr Tennessee Bourbon, but once again they are not old enough to be making a 13 year product. Many speculate that the Kirkland's product is produced by Dickel and Dickel did release a 13 year BiB last year, so it's entirely possible Sweetens Cove is based on that stock pile. Of course if that's true, the Dickel BiB is $35, compared to $200.

I believe that it has to be charcoal filtered to be called Tennessee Whiskey, but even if it's charcoal filtered it does not have to be labeled as Tennessee Whiskey. A Tennessee Whiskey could still be labeled and sold as a Bourbon. Which might be a marketing decision to help differentiate the product from its producer, or just not filtered. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
Another vote for Four Rose's Yellow. Ezra's Brooks also very good for the price. If I am going to splurge, Jefferson's Reserve or Angel's Envy.

Ira

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
John, what do you think of the Bourbon Trail as a travel destination? I've been to a couple of the places on my own (I used to live in Cincinnati) but certainly haven't tried to follow the trail.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
This thread reminds me of a co-worker I lived with years ago.

He grew up in Eastern Europe and ran a bar/restaurant for 15+ years before coming to the States.  Anyhow, he would say I don't understand Americans, they pay a shit ton of money for wine, when the most you ever need to spend for a bottle is $20.  Took me to the store, picked up 5 bottles for like $70, and it was the best wine I ever tasted...

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »

He grew up in Eastern Europe and ran a bar/restaurant for 15+ years before coming to the States.  Anyhow, he would say I don't understand Americans, they pay a shit ton of money for wine, when the most you ever need to spend for a bottle is $20.  Took me to the store, picked up 5 bottles for like $70, and it was the best wine I ever tasted...

He ever give you Slivovica? EE drinking advice can be dangerous

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »
PC2 - Dweebs? Nailed it.

Bulleit and Wellers Special Reserve are good every day bottles from Four Roses and Buffalo Trace.

Once again, Barney showing excellent taste with Blantons.

Not that I drink the stuff.

Not surprised Peyton wanted the match in Tennessee.  He always got smoked in Florida.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »

He ever give you Slivovica? EE drinking advice can be dangerous

Can't recall it was almost 20 years ago.

He also created home-made 100 proof blackberry liquor that was out of this world good.  He's no longer with us and I miss our long chats, which always included plenty of booze.  ;)

Keith Williams

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »

Dang Bogey, a little burn on our Vol legend.  Lest we forget, he was actually 3-3 in the state of Florida thanks to a number of bowl wins down there.  Like the Ole Ball Coach said, you can't spell Citrus without UT...lol.

And, to stay on-topic in the off-topic...Blanton's is probably one of the few that lives up to its price, even for those who aren't as refined in their bourbon palate.

John Emerson

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
John, what do you think of the Bourbon Trail as a travel destination? I've been to a couple of the places on my own (I used to live in Cincinnati) but certainly haven't tried to follow the trail.

The bourbon trail is really cool!!  Highly recommend taking some trips to see the distilleries....especially if you enjoy bourbon.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »

And, to stay on-topic in the off-topic...Blanton's is probably one of the few that lives up to its price, even for those who aren't as refined in their bourbon palate.

I've always enjoyed Blanton's on its own. But when I've blind tasted it against other moderately-priced bourbons ($20-40), both alone and in groups, it never fares well. I thought it was fairly priced when you could get it for $45-50.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Blind tasting is dangerous. Why destroy the value of anticipation?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
As a Kentucky kid myself, I feel about bourbon the way that people feel about Michael Bolton songs - I just sorta love them all! There are a ton of great offerings out there anymore.

Nobody here has mentioned Russell's Reserve. The 10 year is lovely and the single barrel is even better. Very rare that I don't have one of those two bottles in the cabinet.

The last distillery I stopped at before social distancing took effect was Woodford Reserve. Their cafe hit the spot, and their gift shop had some interesting stuff. We got a little bottle of chocolate bitters, among other things.

A few weeks later someone introduced me to Skrewball peanut butter whiskey. It sounded gimmicky, but it's actually fantastic. I live a few blocks from Urban Artifact, a brewery that specializes in fruited sours, and dropping a shot of Skrewball into a concord grape sour makes PBJ in a pint, for example. Peanut butter whiskey is a surprisingly versatile ingredient that makes some pretty awesome drinks. The best, though, uses the chocolate bitters from Woodford Reserve. I've been whipping up old fashioneds with Skrewball and chocolate bitters. It's basically a Reese's cup in a glass that has a load of booze in it. It's dangerous.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 05:11:58 PM »
All the Buck Club boys have already bought them all up. Now we're going to have to stare at 12 months of Instagram posts of these dweebs drinking their $200 bourbon out of Solo cups next to the 9th green of some beat up $12 muni.  :P
Best laugh of the day.....the vision of buck club logos and over priced bourbon in a solo cup with the super cool carry bag on the ground...hopefully they remember to keep the cart out of the selfie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back