News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

For your browsing pleasure
« on: May 19, 2020, 10:31:35 PM »
I have been knuckle deep in databases looking for old pics of pre-1935 golf courses.  This is what I have in 2 days worth of looking.  I will continue to add to this as I find time to research.  I will update you all the next time I have a big photo dump to my drive.  Once I start it is difficult to stop because it is like every picture or map is brand new treasure (to me anyway).  Pictures really do say a thousand words!  I love these old pictures of times past and my mind runs wild with the "what if"'s.  It is the direct link to my google drive.  I did my best to label them as accurately as possible.  Hope you guys enjoy....I sure did!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WAbVS8YyNgexW_ZkfOcjE_D1KJnzHqLY

“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Emerson

Re: For your browsing pleasure
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »
After this short amount of time I have been looking for these old photos I have one quick take-away......Being left with so little of George Thomas' work is a travesty.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:55:35 AM »
Well, I already learned something.  I had no idea that they re-routed the front nine at the UofM course.  But it makes sense, especially that sharp dogleg left at the end of the 3rd hole now.  Looks like it used to be a par 4 coming straight up the hill from the East.  I wonder what made them change it and who was involved. 

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:20:08 AM »
Well, I already learned something.  I had no idea that they re-routed the front nine at the UofM course.  But it makes sense, especially that sharp dogleg left at the end of the 3rd hole now.  Looks like it used to be a par 4 coming straight up the hill from the East.  I wonder what made them change it and who was involved.

Well, it wasn't rerouted, just replanned.  Legend has it that Yost wanted a bit more yardage and asked Dr Mac to review the plan. The second plan certainly has more flair with the 6th and 14th holes coming in with cool greens, but I have no idea if one each plan was separate or worked on as a team with Maxwell. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:28:11 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Peter Flory

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »

Well, it wasn't rerouted, just replanned.  Legend has it that Yost wanted a bit more yardage and asked Dr Mac to review the plan. The second plan certainly has more flair with the 6th and 14th holes coming in with cool greens, but I have no idea if one each plan was separate or worked on as a team with Maxwell. 

Ciao

I have to say that I think the original routing may have been the better one.  #2 and #3 are both pretty awkward holes.  Growing up, we'd all play #3 down the #4 fairway so that we could have an open shot into the green in 2.  And that tee shot on #2 is my least favorite on the course. 

The pic of the 14th green and bunkering is really a good one that I haven't previously seen. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:33:19 PM by Peter Flory »

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »

Ciao

I have to say that I think the original routing may have been the better one.  #2 and #3 are both pretty awkward holes.  Growing up, we'd all play #3 down the #4 fairway so that we could have an open shot into the green in 2.  And that tee shot on #2 is my least favorite on the course. 

The pic of the 14th green and bunkering is really a good one that I haven't previously seen.

2 is blind, not terribly awkward. The 3rd has trees up the left which kind of spoil the hole. That is a presentation issue rather than a design problem. Trying to approach from the 4th fairway when the green is firm is a hard road.

I don't like the look the look of the original 2nd playing up the steep hill. The 6th to me is the kicker, perhaps the most interesting hole on the course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back