News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Suggestions Needed...SOS
« on: May 16, 2020, 12:08:47 AM »
With my new position I now work for a University and have be introduced to the library's database that I can access from anywhere.  The university has access to other universities databases.  From maps to newspapers to journals, to handwritten correspondence. From historic to scientific, it seems like it really is unlimited information.  It is staggering what I have access to.  I am so overwhelmed with what I have the ability to search and explore that I am not even sure where to start.  I have found some really amazing articles on anything ranging from Lido to Seminole to a private 13 hole golf course in San Jose in 1915.  I feel like I have a gold mine in front of me, but there are so many topics I can search for that I don't even know what to kinda "zero in" on.  Any topic in golf I start to search I get led down the biggest rabbit hole anyone can imagine and the information comes at me so fast I am not sure what to do with it.  The hours seem to slip away.  The biggest problem is that I don't know if anyone has seen some of the stuff I am looking at.  I love searching for stuff but I need some direction on what is of interest other than stuff I am curious about.  Any help or suggestions???  Please for the love of god someone give some direction haha
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ira Fishman

Re: Suggestions Needed...SOS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 04:00:24 AM »
The Raynor routing for Cypress Point.

Ira

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:07:50 AM »
I would start with your own interests and narrow down the time period.  For example MacKenzie, 1920-1930.  See what pops up. Or you can search regions and time periods.  Chicago, 1910-1920 and see what comes up.
Make sure you are actually doing your job for the university in the mean time so you don't lose this access for your down time. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:53:08 AM »
On the Sport; Max Behr's reasonings and justifications for warning that American golf course architecture was going down the wrong road. circa 1920

With the loss of too many principles, and, justifications, it's important to understand anyone who was that far ahead of the curve.

On the game side; The rules and their changes is another area where justifications have been lost, to the fog of time, and societal attitudes.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 05:06:58 PM »
Would love to know what was thought of Mackenzie's work in 1932 at the Haggin Oaks golf course in Sacramento, CA. The original work has been lost to time but would love to know if it was considered a great design of the time.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:06:56 PM »
The access is truly overwhelming and rabbit holes are everywhere. Charles Mayo was the last superintendent at Lido Golf Club and there are reports that he took photographs of every hole prior to its closing so the course could be reconstructed once the war was over. They've never been seen and I guess it's possible they may have landed in a university library somewhere.

John Emerson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »

Ira
Ira I think they almost have this nailed down other than who actually made the maps.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »

Ira
Ira I think they almost have this nailed down other than who actually made the maps.

John,

I am terrible with the Gca.com search function, but I remember a thread not long ago where the maps were the subject of quite a bit of debate.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back