News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Sandbox
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:51:43 AM »
If somehow stretched to 6000 yards it would be my favorite golf course in the world.  It has the most creative and well crafted set of greens I've run across, though I find the 3rd a somewhat contrived (but a blast nonetheless).   I know, the markers tend to yield the same distance on many holes, but it might be the greatest walk in the park on the planet.  Surely a profile by Ran is imminent.  That are many great courses in the world, but few as ingenious. 

Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley make nice relief courses for The Sandbox. 

Is it that good or just in Bogey's wheelhouse?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Mammel

Re: The Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 10:35:33 PM »
I can't understand why no one has commented here. The Sandbox (C&C) is an ingenious bunch of sometimes over-the-top par 3's, 17 in all since the only restriction for the construction was that it be a number other than 18. All except perhaps the 16th can be played with a putter. If you play the morning 18 and aren't feeling 36, the Sandbox. If you've played the 36, had jokes/drinks/laughs after and need more, the Sandbox. If you have to check out and go home, the Sandbox. A full variety of architectural gems and a wink and a nod as well.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
Headed to SV this weekend -- got through 9 holes of the Sandbox a couple years ago before bugs and lightning chased me off --very excited about the return trip
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 02:38:33 PM »
I think the Sandbox is fun, but I'm not sure I would trade a round (or even 9 holes) on a big course for it. It's fun if it's free after 36 holes on a hot day. But for example last summer I arrived mid-afternoon one day and instead of playing the Sandbox which was slam packed with 8-somes, a buddy and I played a 2.5 hour twilight/golden hour round on a completely empty Sand Valley course.
H.P.S.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
I love it.  Have played in 6-7x. 

Only complaint is the regularity with which you are required to tee off from mats. 

also great for juniors.  my sons (7 and 9) also love it and we will back up there to play it next week. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
Thought there was plenty of tee ground and no mats in sight in the 3 times I have played.

Lots of ground game there, too.
Plenty of bump and plenty of run.

Played in an 8-some There once.
4 fathers and 4 sons. Was one of my favorite rounds...ever.

JHoulihan

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:18:15 AM »
I have played many great courses but Sandbox is the most fun I have played. My list of 150 or so courses played may not compare to others here but I am excited to hear others thoughts of my personal favorite course on property.

Justin

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:19:50 AM »
I think the Sandbox is fun, but I'm not sure I would trade a round (or even 9 holes) on a big course for it. It's fun if it's free after 36 holes on a hot day. But for example last summer I arrived mid-afternoon one day and instead of playing the Sandbox which was slam packed with 8-somes, a buddy and I played a 2.5 hour twilight/golden hour round on a completely empty Sand Valley course.

Pat, if you are playing it after 36 hole day in the heat you are better than me.  It would be a nice round after a challenging walk for 18 at SV. I played 2 years ago with a 8:30 tee time and was probably close to 100 degrees with some humidity. We checked the sandbox and it was full for the next 45 minutes.  BTW thanks Dan Moore.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »

Good write up on SV --especially the Sandbox

https://golf.com/travel/inside-stunning-sand-valley-wisconsin/

Also how they are dealing with Social Distancing

https://golf.com/travel/sand-valley-golf-resort-social-distancing/

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Brock Lynch

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
Played the Sandbox in summer 2018. Very enjoyable and is a good substitute for a 2nd 18-hole round on one of the other courses. Of the three such courses I've played, Sandbox, Bandon Preserve, and the Cradle, I would say that Bandon Preserve is the best golf of the three and felt more like a smaller version of the big courses on site. The Cradle is something entirely different. The diversity of the people playing is amazing; couples, families, groups of 6 or more, males & females, grandparents, parents, and children, singles, etc. The energy and atmosphere is so welcoming and fun. I have not seen anything like it. The Cradle has to be the best addition to a resort/club that I have experienced. It has the advantage of community involvement that Bandon Preserve and the Sandbox do not. The Sandbox is more like Bandon Preserve in this regard as it is a milder, sportier version of the other courses.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
I would echo Brock’s comments below regarding Preserve versus Sandbox.  There are some really wild greens on Sandbox that are fun to play but there’s a sense of claustrophobia through some parts that you don’t feel at the Preserve.   In general, whether it’s the green complexes or bunkers, I think the Sandbox is more difficult than the Preserve but still a ton of fun.  Having yet to experience the classic London’s area parkland courses, some of the inner routed holes provided that feel more than the big courses, with more pines, bushes and scrub/scruff.

Regardless, the advent of the short course and putting course concepts at these resorts were ingenious.  As the planner for most trips, these have offered viable flexibility from the traditional 36 holes a day, every day factory approach that dominated our trips when when we were 15 years younger.  Nice to mix in every other day approach to provide a little variety and different pace.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back