News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Rory on architecture and Seminole
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »
Rory Mcllroy has been on a few podcasts lately but the latest with McKellar is quite interesting.

Because he's playing Seminole in the charity match and his father is a member he discussed it in-depth.  Some of his thoughts:

It's a brilliant design with great greens.
It's a pure golf club with all of the members having a high aptitude for golf.
The range is only 230 yards long.
Everyone walks.
They recently removed all the benches to speed up play.
It's a second shot course but you have to position your tee shot to have the best angle.
The 8th hole, a par 3 at 250 yards long is the worst hole on the course.  (He'd much rather have a wedge in his hand and shit his pants if he missed).
Coore and Crenshaw are the best at restoring golf course and Gil Hanse is right there.

Other architecture tidbits.

He belongs to the Bears Club but is also a founding member at Ohoopee which he loves. Its a blend of Pine Valley and Sand Hills and it's hard to find a flat lie including off the tee.

He hasn't played Ballybunion or Cypress Point.

He watched the Presidents Cup last year to see Royal Melbourne. He also really likes Kingston Heath. He absolutely would play in a tournament just because of the golf course.

Lastly, he's not sure getting into architecture and building a course is for him but he appreciates it much more.

David_Tepper

Re: Rory on architecture and Seminole
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
The current McKellar podcast with Rory McIlroy lasts almost 90 minutes. It is well worth hearing. My understanding is McIlroy asked to be on the podcast.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mckellar/id1483786770

Lawrence Donegan & John Huggan have had a string of excellent guests on their podcast over the past couple of months. In addition to McIlroy, they have had Lee Westwood, Padraig Harrington, Geoff Ogilvy, Jaime Diaz, Curtis Strange, Dennis Pugh and Pete Cowen.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:30:56 PM by David_Tepper »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:15:34 PM »
Some of his thoughts:

Coore and Crenshaw are the best at restoring golf course and Gil Hanse is right there.

Yes, but those might be the only two whose restoration work he has ever seen, apart from Mackenzie and Ebert (if you call their work restoration).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »
Oh, and Rees Jones, of course!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »
Some of his thoughts:

Yes, but those might be the only two whose restoration work he has ever seen, apart from Mackenzie and Ebert (if you call their work restoration).

He played Garden City two years ago on a Monday under a cloud of secrecy.  Shot 67 with no stress.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »
Rory became my favorite player when he stated he wouldn't play with Trump again. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
Rory became my favorite player when he stated he wouldn't play with Trump again. ;D

He's been my favorite player for awhile. He's obviously an intelligent, articulate guy and isn't afraid to give something more than the bland vanilla answers that 99% of those guys give. And I understand why they do it, but McIlroy seems willing to live with a little bit of flack.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:37:48 PM »
If Patrick Reed says that cheating was a blast but he’ll never do it again can he join your stable of heroes? Nae wind, nae Rory.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
If Patrick Reed says that cheating was a blast but he’ll never do it again can he join your stable of heroes? Nae wind, nae Rory.
He already has. He cheated, got caught and got penalized. Move on. Trump cheated, got caught and then let off without penalty by the Republican senate. It would be like if the PGA let PR off because he was a PGA member they liked. Cheating in sports is common place but if you get caught you should be penalized. Astros and Republicans I am talking about you. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
He already has. He cheated, got caught and got penalized. Move on. Trump cheated, got caught and then let off without penalty by the Republican senate. It would be like if the PGA let PR off because he was a PGA member they liked. Cheating in sports is common place but if you get caught you should be penalized. Astros and Republicans I am talking about you. :o

Are you talking about Bill Clinton too?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:08:21 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »
Rory is just another modern day bully. He plays golf with a guy and has a great time in all facets of the game. The next day the popular kids tell him to dump his friend or find a new table where to hang out. Rory makes his choice in the most vocal way possible. Now he has even more new better “friends”.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
Rory is just another modern day bully. He plays golf with a guy and has a great time in all facets of the game. The next day the popular kids tell him to dump his friend or find a new table where to hang out. Rory makes his choice in the most vocal way possible. Now he has even more new better “friends”.

Cringe

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »
I'm waiting for the Tom Brady interview on design of The Big House....should carry as much weight...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back