News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

Seminole
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:36:43 AM »
I knew the subject line alone would get attention. Interesting news this morning on the skins game on May 17. 

I hope we get some good course coverage, and maybe a peek inside the locker room (too much to ask, I know).  Good cause, but certainly cat nip for us architecture junkies.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/05/04/rory-mcilroy-dustin-johnson-rickie-fowler-matthew-wolff-taylormade-driving-relief-live-golf-covid-19-coronavirus-relief-efforts.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:39:07 AM by Robert Kimball »

JC Jones

Re: Seminole
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
This is going to be a real treat.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
Any news on what type of ball in hole method they will use? Caddies?

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »
I am watching every minute of this.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
Not to worry John,

Given Florida's track record with Covid-19 so far, it'll be just another golf event...business as usual  ;D

"Safety measures: PGA TOUR will follow all guidelines, executive orders and mandates issued by the state of Florida, Palm Beach County and the city of Juno Beach."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 11:11:35 AM »
I hope they lead by example and leave the pin in despite the fact there are 100% safe ways to have the pin removed. It's the one cart per player with caddie jogging along side yelling advice from 6' away that I can't wait to see. Throw up in your bib please.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
Seems like they could have a designated caddy following the group around for all bunker raking, pin pulling duties, and getting the ball out of the hole with something like this..

Robert Kimball

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:31:18 AM »
i hope the network (NBC and GC) will take this opportunity to get into the architecture and history of the club.

I understand the main focus will be on the players and the charity, but I think I speak for most everyone here that I could watch 3 hours of Seminole flyovers with analysis on the strategy of each hole.

Either way, it will be nice to watch.  I just hope we don't get too much "look how far they drove it" or explanations on why the course isn't green and lush, etc. 

After watching The Match back in '17, my expectations are tempered. Sorry to be cynical.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:31:21 AM »
Knowing Seminole a little bit, emphasis on little, I hope they do this all with ground level cameras to highlight the low profile nature of each hole. The ridge you go up and down a couple times is impressive for South Florida, but the course is exceptional because of the subtle angle into each green and the extremely subtle slopes that funnel the ball away...it always seems to funnel away. I feel aerial shots (likely by drone for this event) mute all of that.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »
Knowing Seminole a little bit, emphasis on little, I hope they do this all with ground level cameras to highlight the low profile nature of each hole. The ridge you go up and down a couple times is impressive for South Florida, but the course is exceptional because of the subtle angle into each green and the extremely subtle slopes that funnel the ball away...it always seems to funnel away. I feel aerial shots (likely by drone for this event) mute all of that.

The problem with televised golf in general.
The TV powers that be love the drone/overhead shots, of which  am not a fan-especially the pure overhead.
Most won't be familiar with Seminole (I'm not) so I'm guessing its subtley and allure will be lost via TV, even TOC doesn't come across on TV unless you know the course.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:08:03 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 11:41:01 AM »
Most won't be familiar with Seminole (I'm not) so I'm guessing its subtley and allure will be lost via YV, even TOC doesn't come across on TV unless you know the course.
Yeah… TV flattens things as it is. Good luck getting a few moderate slopes to show up as they appear in real life.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
I remember watching the old Doral/WGC tournament on NBC and obviously watch the Players (when it is actually played.) NBC has done a fair job of picking up subtleties and slopes on those two courses. Not so much with the Honda which seems to be an aerial show on steroids especially with the so-called "Bear Trap". Hopefully they exercise some restraint with the overhead shots. We can see those anytime.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »

It's televised sports in May 2020 at MFing Seminole. They can show the whole damn thing via overhead shot with commentators lamenting that it's not greener and I'll be happy to watch. At least until I fall asleep - the weekend afternoon golf nap might be the thing I've missed most about televised golf.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Will Lozier

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »

The problem with televised golf in general.
The TV powers that be love the drone/overhead shots, of which  am not a fan-especially the pure overhead.
Most won't be familiar with Seminole (I'm not) so I'm guessing its subtley and allure will be lost via TV, even TOC doesn't come across on TV unless you know the course.

Over the last two months, I have watched probably 4 or 5 Masters' final round broadcasts from the 70's to early/mid 80's. One shot they showed often was the approach to 10 from ground level, behind the player, with the camera following the shot in the air. It gives one a real feeling of the elevation change, contour, and difficulty of hitting that green!

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:40:42 PM by Will Lozier »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »
First, what is the deal with people in Michigan? Tom Doak et al., excepted.

Next, "two-time FedExCup champion and World No. 1 Rory McIlroy and 20-time PGA TOUR winner Dustin Johnson" ...

because no one thinks of their major titles first. #PGATourSpin
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »
I was never impressed with Seminole, seemed like a public course to me. Unless they make the greens 15, they will birdie every hole unless they hid the holes in the sand traps
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:04:56 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
Any news on what type of ball in hole method they will use? Caddies?

WOTS is they will be walking and carrying their own bag. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »
I read that they'll be in carts.
Be the ball

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »
WOTS is they will be walking and carrying their own bag.
Maybe push carts? Too bad if not. Missed opportunity. :)

No caddies, though.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

MCirba

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
Lord...please tell me these athletes are going to walk this nearly flat course or I may lose total faith in humanity.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
Lord...please tell me these athletes are going to walk this nearly flat course or I may lose total faith in humanity.

Please tell me their manufacturers will allow them to use stand bags instead of those behemoth staff bags. If not I hope they roll with push carts. Seminole is walking only right? Seems like one of the most walkable courses you could imagine.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »

Push carts would be fine in my book.

Please tell me their manufacturers will allow them to use stand bags instead of those behemoth staff bags. If not I hope they roll with push carts. Seminole is walking only right? Seems like one of the most walkable courses you could imagine.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Crowley

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 12:52:40 AM »

+1 !!!

Cal Seifert

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 06:04:50 AM »

Word is they will be walking and carrying their own bags. No caddies, no pushcarts.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
Word is they will be walking and carrying their own bags. No caddies, no pushcarts.
Push carts would have been dope. But for all I know Seminole doesn't allow them? The local club here that takes itself most seriously doesn't. Caddies, carry, or (electric driving) carts only.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back