News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Kinghorn, Fife (Old Tom & Willie Fernie)
« on: April 30, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
Recently, my local library started offering a bunch of new magazines that I can read on the RB Digital app. One of these is UK based Golf Monthly. Much of the magazine is the same old instruction and equipment stuff, but there was an article mentioning four courses (beyond the usual suspects) worth considering on a trip to Fife.

Elie, Lundin, & Leven were all good recommendations. But the fourth was one I had never heard of - Kinghorn. The short blurb was accompanied by an intriguing photo.

kinghorn by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I used the GCA search engine to look for discussion on the course, but there was not very much. Marty Bonnar mentioned it a few times, as did Rich Goodale. So I took a look at the course's website, and it looks quite quirky. I highly recommend their video tour, but if you want a bit of fun, first go to a satellite view and try to figure out the routing with no help.
https://www.kinghorngolfclub.com/golf

Scottish Golf History website tells a bit more about the course.
https://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/oldest-golf-courses/1812-kinghorn/

I've added it to a list of places I would like to see. It doesn't look great, but seems like some fun could be had.

Niall C

Re: Kinghorn, Fife (Old Tom & Willie Fernie)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
John

It's been on my list for the last few years, and not just because of the Willie Fernie connection. I've suggested to several of my opponents in the GCA matchplay as a possible venue but none have taken me up on it. The nearest I've got is Burntisland which is just along the road.

If you are coming over some time to play give me a shout and I'll certainly join you in a game at Kinghorn.

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »
John and Niall...you'd both like Kinghorn a lot!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Count me in anytime!
If it’s quirk you’re after, it’s hard to top Kinghorn...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Good find, John, and you are correct in that the routing would be impossible to decipher without help!

Some tough par 3’s!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
Niall & Marty,
Might be a few years, but I'm game. If Clyde's around, that's a four ball. If I had enough time, I would just have Clyde recommend a week of courses and am sure I would head home happy.

Michael,
Hope you tried the routing exercise.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
I was watching the flyover.  OK, so there's some quirk early on.  Then the 6th!  Does that rival the 5th at Anstruther for the toughest par 3 in Scotland? 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
I was watching the flyover.  OK, so there's some quirk early on.  Then the 6th!  Does that rival the 5th at Anstruther for the toughest par 3 in Scotland?

Have you not played Kinghorn? I feel a gca outing coming on.
Never mind 6th. How about 18th? That's the tee down in the hollow, not where the drone starts! It's about 50 feet below the level of the green.
Beautiful drone footage though - obviously shot very early on a gorgeous Fife morning!

PS Oh, by the way, the magazine publishers must have missed off the zeros at the green fees. Nah, only kidding. That's the real costs!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 02:52:57 PM by Marty Bonnar »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
You have to especially appreciate the bunker about 30 yards short of the green to complicate the safer tee shot from the back tees.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

Have you not played Kinghorn? I feel a gca outing coming on.
Never mind 6th. How about 18th? That's the tee down in the hollow, not where the drone starts! It's about 50 feet below the level of the green.
Beautiful drone footage though - obviously shot very early on a gorgeous Fife morning!

PS Oh, by the way, the magazine publishers must have missed off the zeros at the green fees. Nah, only kidding. That's the real costs!

Count me in! I'd love to play there.

I too watched the flyover and I just kept thinking, where is the next hole going to go?! When it was going down 16, I thought, there's no more room for 17 & 18!!

I wonder if it holds the record for most shots that play over another hole.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
Yep  I'm game for a game there too. Been invited a few times by work colleagues but never taken them up on it.

Let's do it.

Could be my matchplay tie vs David MacIntosh ?? 

Ian

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
Thanks for highlighting, bit of a ‘wow’ if in an unconventional way. And when the SI-5 hole is a 270 yd par-4 ....... :)
Atb
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:48:56 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 03:47:44 PM »
Sounds like a Northern GCA End of Lockdown celebration at Kinghorn may be in order.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Reader

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:35 PM »
John

It's been on my list for the last few years, and not just because of the Willie Fernie connection. I've suggested to several of my opponents in the GCA matchplay as a possible venue but none have taken me up on it. The nearest I've got is Burntisland which is just along the road.

If you are coming over some time to play give me a shout and I'll certainly join you in a game at Kinghorn.

Niall

I can’t remember why we didn’t play the final there Niall; you definitely suggested it.  Not that North Berwick was a bad substitute!

I’d definitely be up for a game when we’re able.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »
Sounds great, gents. As soon as this unpleasantness is done, we'll get it sorted.
Maybe even a day out with 9 holes at another of Rich's favourites - Auchterderran? Despite some strong family connections there (Nancy's dad held every office position over a very long association), I've never played it!
F.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
Wow - that looks like a ton of fun. Routing looks ridiculous with all of the crossovers and such. With my 2020 trip cancelled and a rather beefy British Air voucher I will have to consider this next time through.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
John

Niall

I can’t remember why we didn’t play the final there Niall; you definitely suggested it.  Not that North Berwick was a bad substitute!

I’d definitely be up for a game when we’re able.

Sorry. I would like to go back to Kinghorn some day. I played it by accident about 30 years ago. I was meant to play Rihc's home course, but didn't somehow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Reader

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
No apology required Sean! It was fantastic to play North Berwick again after a very long gap for me. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 12:42:47 AM »

Played that hole at Anstruther twice a couple of years ago.
had no clue it was a par 3!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 03:55:09 AM »

Played that hole at Anstruther twice a couple of years ago.
had no clue it was a par 3!
Probably because only a lunatic would play it as one.  But that's what it is on the card.  I once watched my eldest son put 5 balls in the North Sea trying to hit a high cut driver onto that green.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 01:40:17 PM »
Count me in for the outing too. Looks like an interesting course.

Alex Miller

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
This is the most batshit routing I've ever seen - I'd play this all the time if I lived there! Looks like a TON of fun!

Seems like it would ask something from every club in the bag and would really reward aggressive play IF your game is on.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:30 AM »
If I ever do another Scotland by rail, that segment of Fife looks like a great option.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
The flyover shows more over-tee shots and crossovers than the routing map I found via google

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
I liked the opening shots of the drone footage showing the club flag flying at half-mast. I seem to be getting to the age when the bloody things are flying at half-mast more often than not!
F.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back