News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Way OT: Ever try to cut your own hair? New
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »
My wife thinks I look like Forrest Gump.

Ever try to cut your own hair?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:43:26 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

Re: Way OT: Every try to cut your own hair?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 10:27:55 AM »
Hell no.
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
Sure,

I gave myself a prison-style buzz cut a couple weeks ago.  I was due for my normal haircut right when the restrictions set in and it was starting to bug. 

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
Suddenly very pleased to have lost mine.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:51:59 AM »
No problem at all.

I finally gave in to male pattern baldness a year or so ago around the time of El Gringo's last visit. I've not given money to a barber since. My son, on the other hand, is struggling badly right now!

46447713_1409420319194028_7352009023111036928_n by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »

Yes when I was younger (early 20s) I would just buzz it pretty good, 1 around the back and side and 3 on top. My brother and I would do a quick sanity check and trim up any rough spots.

For the past year my wife has been cutting my hair. She had started cutting my two young sons' hair. She did not grow up with boys in her family and was unaware of how boy hair works. She quickly grew tired up paying $45 at the kids' haircut joint only to have it quickly grow out and need to go back six weeks later. Since I don't much care about how I look, and hate spending money on my appearance, I suggested she start doing mine as well. The first couple of times were rough but she's improved quite a bit.

Right now I'm working on a mohawk, or as I call it a coro'hawk. Not bad for a few weeks in. I need to have her really cut down the back and sides again. I'll also have increasing gel needs as the top grows longer. But I've quickly grown accustomed to it. I'm planning on getting some color into it but that's not my area of specialty. I was hoping to motivate my 6-year-old to get one but he doesn't like my hair. So now I'm a dad wearing a mohawk who can't convince his son to get one. Kids today...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:32:42 AM »

Yes when I was younger (early 20s) I would just buzz it pretty good, 1 around the back and side and 3 on top. My brother and I would do a quick sanity check and trim up any rough spots.

For the past year my wife has been cutting my hair. She had started cutting my two young sons' hair. She did not grow up with boys in her family and was unaware of how boy hair works. She quickly grew tired up paying $45 at the kids' haircut joint only to have it quickly grow out and need to go back six weeks later. Since I don't much care about how I look, and hate spending money on my appearance, I suggested she start doing mine as well. The first couple of times were rough but she's improved quite a bit.

Right now I'm working on a mohawk, or as I call it a coro'hawk. Not bad for a few weeks in. I need to have her really cut down the back and sides again. I'll also have increasing gel needs as the top grows longer. But I've quickly grown accustomed to it. I'm planning on getting some color into it but that's not my area of specialty. I was hoping to motivate my 6-year-old to get one but he doesn't like my hair. So now I'm a dad wearing a mohawk who can't convince his son to get one. Kids today...

You're a brave man

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
You're a brave man

Ha ha, well it's giving my neighbors a laugh. And if not now, when? As I've told my brothers, the only thing worse than a 45-year-old suburban dad with a mohawk is a 46-year-old suburban dad with a mohawk.

Obviously the goal is for me to look like a Sex Pistols fan in 1978 London. But unfortunately at the moment I probably look more like Ferris Bueller when he stepped out of the shower. But I've got time. It's the coronavirus vs my hair, and nobody is going to win!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
You get better I have learned.  I used to cut my own hair in my poorer days for 3-4 years and used an angled #8 on top, #4 on the sides with a #3 up halfway on the sides to fade in.  They have the ear attachments which work pretty good as well. The biggest issue for me is shaving the neck as that proves difficult and you need some flexibility to get to the middle of the back of your neck. But I have been back doing it for the last couple months now and getting the hang of it again.

It does remind me of like the 3/4th time I cut my own hair, I was rushing home after coaching a game and was going on a date and said to myself, "you need to trim up your hair." I didn't have a lot of time, but enough so I started cutting and switching attachments (or so I thought), when I went up the right side of my head and noticed a large amount of hair fluttering to the ground like a a falling parachute.  I was like no........ I turned and saw I was bald for that strip, then looked at the clippers and forgot to put on ANY attachment! What do you do?  Well you realize how white your scalp is as I cut the rest with no attachments and....... wore a hat!

There wasn't a 2nd date, but I can't even remember her name, but do remember to look at the clippers twice before cutting.  Like cutting wood, measure twice cute once.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 12:02:33 PM »
I gave my 9 year old daughter, Mabel, a pair of scissors and clippers and told her to do whatever she wanted with my hair.  It did not turn out too bad.

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »

It does remind me of like the 3/4th time I cut my own hair, I was rushing home after coaching a game and was going on a date and said to myself, "you need to trim up your hair." I didn't have a lot of time, but enough so I started cutting and switching attachments (or so I thought), when I went up the right side of my head and noticed a large amount of hair fluttering to the ground like a a falling parachute.  I was like no........ I turned and saw I was bald for that strip, then looked at the clippers and forgot to put on ANY attachment! What do you do?  Well you realize how white your scalp is as I cut the rest with no attachments and....... wore a hat!

Reminds me of the time that I accidentally shaved off most of one of my eyebrows when I forgot to put the attachment on my little eyebrow/nose hair trimmer. It was 75% of the way off by the time I realized it. My wife was out with friends at the time, I called her and left a voice mail which she thought was so funny she saved for a few years.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
Maybe I will go “Willie Nelson” if this lasts while longer.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 02:26:31 PM »
No problem at all.

I finally gave in to male pattern baldness a year or so ago around the time of El Gringo's last visit. I've not given money to a barber since. My son, on the other hand, is struggling badly right now!

46447713_1409420319194028_7352009023111036928_n by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Down to the wood!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jim Sherma

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
After years of buzz cuts I am working on going for the full-Jerry Garcia look. With more salt then pepper in both the beard and the hair I'm thinking I should be able to look similar to vintage 1987 or so assuming I don't cut it. 

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
Here in Minnesota it is totally socially acceptable to let your hair ("lettuce") flow:

https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporting-scene/the-glories-of-minnesota-hockey-hair-from-the-mullet-to-the-portobella
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 03:54:20 PM »
Buzzed my own about a month ago. About to do it again. Easy to do. Mine grows like a weed, so I figured if I screwed up badly, I'd just wear a hat for a few days. Didn't need to.

I was thinking that someone should start a NetFlix style (original NetFlix, not streaming), where guys just pay $5/month, and periodically a device shows up to buzz your hair. You then clean it and send it back.

'Course, the actual device is only $20-30, so it's not worth it, and my idea died on the vine, as they all do. But it was a funny thought, to me at least.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
Buzzed my own about a month ago. About to do it again. Easy to do. Mine grows like a weed, so I figured if I screwed up badly, I'd just wear a hat for a few days. Didn't need to.

I was thinking that someone should start a NetFlix style (original NetFlix, not streaming), where guys just pay $5/month, and periodically a device shows up to buzz your hair. You then clean it and send it back.

'Course, the actual device is only $20-30, so it's not worth it, and my idea died on the vine, as they all do. But it was a funny thought, to me at least.

Yes that's the catch, you can get a decent trimmer for about $40. A few years ago there was a salon that hosted a few "Brews and Braids" nights where dads and their daughters would go so that the dads could learn the basics about how to prep their daughters' hair. Learning how to make a decent pony tail without pulling her hair, for instance. It was in a different city, I tried to push the idea to my wife's stylist but she never went for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:04:32 PM by JLahrman »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 10:30:28 AM »
I gave my 9 year old daughter, Mabel, a pair of scissors and clippers and told her to do whatever she wanted with my hair.  It did not turn out too bad.

Steve, please tell me that's a typo. There's no chance that your daughter is 9 years old, is there?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
I have been doing it slowly. Before/after a shower, I grab scissors and just hack away at the stragglers.
The key is to do only a little at a time.

But, then again, I remind myself of what my late father always said:

"What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one, Ian?"
"Uh...I dunno..."

"About two weeks."

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 04:19:57 PM »

"What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one, Ian?"
"Uh...I dunno..."

"About two weeks."

That reminds my of one of my favourite jokes:

"What's the difference between a dog and a fox?"

"Uh, I dunno."

"About six pints..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back