News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Golf by Tardis
« on: April 25, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
This is the Tardis, the Time-And-Relative-Dimension-In-Space time machine made famous by the fictional British TV series Dr Who.

Now the 'real' TV Tardis operates in an erratic way time/era wise. But if you could hop into the Tardis, and it behaved itself, where and when in the history of golf would you like to be transported back to for a few minutes/hours but no longer. Not to play golf but to watch something happen or some incident unfold?

Stand near Bobby Jones for his last putt of his Grand Slam?
Be close to the young Seve as he chipped between the bunkers at Royal Birkdale in 1976?
Watch Ben Hogans famous 1-iron shot as Merion?
Etc?

Your choice.

:)
atb

Greg Smith

Re: Golf by Tardis
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »
I've gotta go for the Ouimet/Vardon/Ray playoff at Brookline.  There have been a whole lot of magical moments in the game, but of all the moments that one represented a HUGE paradigm shift that was simply unimaginable.  To me, Ouimet's victory was the very essence of sporting heroism -- it gives me chills 100 years after the fact.

That moment set golf in America on fire, and arguably fueled the entire Golden Age of golf architecture in America.  Ouimet was personally responsible for a big chunk of what we talk about here today.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
The first tee at St Andrews in May, 1975 as I watched my father hit his first shot, then later pitch and run through the valley of sin and leaving it stone dead to the applause of the onlookers. The only time a tam is appropriate IMHO.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 10:10:11 AM »
Listen to a passionate 19 yr. old debate WHY a lost ball, in match play, should be loss of hole.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »
I'd go to few years back stumbling down the hill to the first tee at St. Andrews where a big dummy fiddles with his gopro as he rants about how he didn't order a caddie. Out of one eye I'm witnessing a bus load of Asian tourists depart while on the other hand Ricky Fowler flirts with an angel calling golfers to the tee. Some 14 hours later I bring the day to an end playing the fool as the object of fascination by those I earlier judged. Just another long day at the Dunvegan with Rickey, the big dummy and an angel.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Charlie Sifford teeing it up for the first time in a PGA event.

Ira

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
Sarazen's double eagle at Augusta.

Plus wouldn't it be something else to see the course in its original state.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

James Reader

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
Having recently read Stephen Proctor’s book, Monarch of the Green, it would be Prestwick 1870 for Young Tom Morris’ third Open Championship. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 03:45:03 PM »
Forget all that.

I'd go back to December 1980 and spend every last penny on Apple Stock, and return back in a few hours as a gazillionaire...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
Forget all that.

I'd go back to December 1980 and spend every last penny on Apple Stock, and return back in a few hours as a gazillionaire...

How much cash do you think you could have gotten your hands on in 1980. I was 20 at the time. If I could have somehow raised $10,000 in 1980 it would be worth $6.7 million today. After taxes you are comfortable at best.

What would be interesting would be a real time study watching you try to raise the money.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
According to this site John, a 1K investment on IPO day in December 1980 would be worth $8.9 Mill today, ($10k would be $89 Mill).  I'd be OK with that.  ;)

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-stock-price-1-trillion-market-cap-2018-8

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 12:40:18 AM »
Or you take a copy of Gray's Sports Almanac back to 1955...

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 03:09:30 AM »
Like the privy, I'd hate to be the person to use it after me...boy would I put that thing through the ringer...

My first stop? Both those 1894 US Ams whose results and contention gave rise to the USGA... Charlie went bullshit 2x and finally got his way, but I'd love to have seen it on those primitive courses (St. Andrews 4th Yonkers property NLE).

Next, I'd like to take in the 1911 US Amateur Final at Apawamis, won on the 37th hole by Harold Hilton when his flailed spoon (according to the preponderance of accounts) careened off the craggy buff (which still lords over the right side of the green with plaque affixed) to a certain birdie.  Not only the drama of a historic turn like that, but the apprehension of Apawamis in those early days, when it was called the hardest course in America, later to be called by Ben Hogan, the "hardest short course in America."  I think to early players, Apawamis was like a collaboration of Pete Dye and Desmond Muirhead. I maintain it still is - through many changes, growth and restoration - a course more worthy of study than 200 of the greats that are forever discussed.

Five years later and right down the street, I'd like to take in the 36 hole final of the first PGA at Siwanoy (1916) won by Jim Barnes over Jock Hutchinson... though if you gave more hours, I would go to the qualifying and matches early in the week...I'd love to see the cadre of ruffs, Scots and guys already making it into a profession that must have existed in those first years of what would be professional golf's hegemony down the line... And of course Siwanoy, another unheralded Ross gem that deserves 50x more ink than it does in these pages.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Would have loved to see the original Sawgrass as well as the Old Northampton golf course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »
I'm kind of leaning towards being close to Ballesteros & Olazabal and Azinger & Beck during their 'discussion' about the use of different compression balls during their pairs match in Kiawah Island Ryder Cup match. And then being inside the ropes during the remainder of the match.
atb

Peter Flory

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 09:56:48 PM »
I'd be tempted to take it to watch Tommy Armour shoot his 69 at Mill Road Farm.  Watching Ouimet play in the 1925 Golden Mashie at Ocean Links would also be a great day (where he sank a 40 footer on the 2nd to last hole).   

But if I was limited to one thing, I'd probably just go to Lido in 1920 to watch a pro event- e.g. the exhibition McLean v Ray match.  I would just be cool to see all the little things on the course that are lost forever and also to see how it was played by experts players with hickories.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:04:47 PM by Peter Flory »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
Mine is more modest, I'd go back to the only full season where my home club operated 36 holes of golf, perhaps the first 36-hole facility in New England.

1931 was an interesting time for the country, but I'd LOVE to see what all of Tedesco's holes were like on the ground.  I have a pretty good idea of how everything went, but certainly there are questions.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back