News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Gallaway

Forest Dunes bracket
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »
With my Scotland trip tabled for a year.  Bandon Dunes trip in limbo.  Washington golf closed for at least another week....I've started looking forward to Fall golf and a trip to Michigan.

Forest Dunes is finishing up a Facebook Bracket Challenge of their best 64 golf holes on the property.  The Final 8 were all from the original Forest Dunes course and the Championship match-up is #8 vs. #18.  Both with greensites on the lake.  Can't help but think the results would have been different if contested on this site.  Also, reminds me that what appeals to one person is different from the next.

Looking at it further, #8 does look like there's some decision making off the tee for the longer hitters.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:48:22 PM by Dan Gallaway »

Tom_Doak

Re: Forest Dunes bracket
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:42:53 PM »
No further proof needed that Facebook is trash.  ;)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
The bracket is obvious garbage.  The only time the red or black won was if they were versus another hole from the red or black or against the short course!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
Dan

I know you're anxious to get to FD, but there's only 55 holes... and construction on the new 10 hole par 3 is underway 9pe their website)

I guess they can't handle the truth on Facebook!

I can see #8 & 18 challenging most folks. 

On #8, if you cannot safely get over or place something alongside the corner trap, the terrain and rough eat you up, the big green with water right and sand back isn't overly inviting even when you're safely in the fairway looking downslope at it. 

On #18 its all about the approach, at that point you've gotta trust whatever got you there, and forget wet death pretty much surrounding the green... Funny how even that short wedge shot can get you thinking..  But hey, you've got the 19th to settle things1
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »

On #8, if you cannot safely get over or place something alongside the corner trap, the terrain and rough eat you up, the big green with water right and sand back isn't overly inviting even when you're safely in the fairway looking downslope at it. 

On #18 its all about the approach, at that point you've gotta trust whatever got you there, and forget wet death pretty much surrounding the green... Funny how even that short wedge shot can get you thinking..  But hey, you've got the 19th to settle things1

Obviously, I have different tastes than Facebook voters, but #18 would not be in my top five holes at Forest Dunes, either.  The short par-4's are the best of the holes, and the 11th is a fine par-3.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 06:21:59 AM »

Obviously, I have different tastes than Facebook voters, but #18 would not be in my top five holes at Forest Dunes, either.  The short par-4's are the best of the holes, and the 11th is a fine par-3.

Both Par-3's on the back are fine. I hadn't quite thought of it this way but I also agree that the short Par-4's are the standouts, though #12 stands out for me and I wouldn't call it "short."

Much prefer #12 to 8.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ken Fry

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
Unfortunately, I haven't been back to FD since The Loop opened.

#8 and #18 would be down the list of the course's best holes for me.  I thought #4, #5, #11, #12 and #16 were better with my favorite holes #6 and #17.

Hoping to see The Loop in September!

Ken

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
I recall reading an article back in the early 2000s regarding Forest Dunes and #17.  I think it may have been Travel & Leisure golf.  For years, that defined my image of the driveable Par 4 and created a connection in my mind between Weiskopf and the concept. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »
I recall reading an article back in the early 2000s regarding Forest Dunes and #17.  I think it may have been Travel & Leisure golf.  For years, that defined my image of the driveable Par 4 and created a connection in my mind between Weiskopf and the concept.

The connection is not misplaced.  TW enjoyed the drivable finishing holes at Prestwick and St Andrews and was determined to build one (or two!) at all of his courses from the start of his career.  He was the only one doing it for a long time, too, as Nicklaus and Dye were not fans of that type of hole.

Greg Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
It's been 10 years since I played Forest Dunes, but 18 for sure was not one of my favorite holes on the course.  Mostly what I remember is the contrast between the wooded front nine and the scrubby/sandy back nine.  Definitely somewhat unique and added enjoyment to playing it.  It was in wonderful condition, particularly the greens.  Among the best conditioned public greens I can remember playing.  They were not of great architectural interest.  Terrible bug issue on the front nine.

One thing about the remote location of the facility, was the drive back to the highway.  I was on a buddy trip, and the group had a nice dinner and a few drinks by the fire pit. It was dark when we left.  I had agreed to be a designated driver, and I would guess there were at least 20 deers that crossed the road in front of me, or were on the side of the road.  Kind of a white knuckle drive on a very dark road.  Maybe that has improved.  Still we very much enjoyed our visit.

I noticed that they are now allowing electric carts on the Loop courses.  Hope the turf can take it.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:54 PM »
 8)  BOUNCE, regular dryer sheets work best to ward off the gnats and flies... tie on back of hat,,, don't forget!

Deer crossings always in play throughout northern mich, and if you see one, look out for the others the may be following, its amazing how much damage can be wrought by hitting a deer!

On 17, even when I could drive the green, it was never as productive as a nice easy layup and wedging close to pin... it took several tries to finally accept that driver accuracy was not my forte

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back