News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Cruden Bay
« on: December 12, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »

@bay_cruden

Work on our new 1st tee is progressing well !

Niall C

Re: Cruden Bay
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:33:33 AM »
Thanks Brian, I wasn't aware they were doing anything other than realigning the hole on top. Presumably this is being done, designed, overseen or whatever by M&E ? Any idea behind the rationale ?

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:15:05 AM »
twitter.com/Crudenbaygolf

The new 1st tee and path are now shaped and ready for their toppings. Grass on one and recycled rubber tyres on the other. All we need is to get it the right way round! Gorse still to be removed to open up the tee shot. Exciting times.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
twitter.com/Crudenbaygolf

The new 1st tee is almost fully turfed. Looking good for Christmas! All credit to Mackenzie & Ebert, 1st Golf Construction and the greenkeeping team.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I had my first venture around Cruden Bay this summer and was totally enamored from 1-18. After a long flight with ZERO sleep, CB energized me from the beginning. So much fun.
Mr Hurricane

MClutterbuck

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »
Awesome course! One of the best in the UK. Please dont change much more of it!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
A friend who is a member at Cruden Bay sent me the following concerning the changes to the first hole:

• The Members requested a better access to the 1st tee

•When looking at possibilities we thought the whole of the 1st tee area could be revamped

•The old clubhouse has been made into a heritage centre celebrating the golf course, old hotel and train line.

By moving the first tee it gives a better flow, coming from the new path, through the Old Clubhouse (or not) and arriving at the first hole, where everything is set out in front of you.

The hole won’t play any longer, but it will certainly be a different driving hole.

All has been designed/overseen by Tom McKenzie.

There are some changes being made along the hole too.

This should increase playability and enjoyment of the first hole and set you on your way with a spring in your step.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brian_Ewen

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:54 AM »
Looking good!!!

The gorse is already in full bloom! Isn’t that a bit early?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Gallant

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 08:48:03 AM »
Looking good!!!

It looks like it - but it has been a bit warmer than normal over the last 5/6 weeks, and there has been lots of sunshine! As we can't leave our house, I can't see what Arthur's Seat looks like, but imagine the gorse is coming out there as well! Maybe if I go for a walk this weekend, I'll see if I can get close enough for a photo.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks for that. Every time I see pictures of the course or read about it, I kick myself for not having included it on any of my trips north.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JJShanley

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
Looking good!!!

It looks like it - but it has been a bit warmer than normal over the last 5/6 weeks, and there has been lots of sunshine! As we can't leave our house, I can't see what Arthur's Seat looks like, but imagine the gorse is coming out there as well! Maybe if I go for a walk this weekend, I'll see if I can get close enough for a photo.

A little OT, but we've had gorse in bloom on the Braid Hills since about mid-March this year. Tim will have a better sense of whether that is early or not for Edinburgh, but I don't recall it coming out so early in the year.

More OT: I use my daily walk to wander (without implements) over the Braids (I've come up with what I consider an excellent new routing for when I win the Powerball!) and it does look in good shape. Craigmillar Park looks great as well.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »
it has been a bit warmer than normal over the last 5/6 weeks,
Not in Newcastle it hasn't been!  So weird how Tyneside has a micro climate entirely different to not just the South but also to Edinburgh, which is less than 100 miles away as the crow flies.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
Different varieties of gorse/broom bloom at different times.
As to Cruden Bay, indeed the whole far north east corner of Scotland has a micro-climate, noticeably nippier than along the Moray Firth or down in Angus/Fife etc. And when the wind comes from the north of north east .....
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
The gorse usually comes into bloom around this time though odd bushes can flower at anytime of year. Once the gorse starts to fade then the whin will start. Its a great time to be in the Highlands.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »
The second issue of Catalogue 18 has a tour of Cruden Bay with seven moody images taken by Irish photographer Kevin Markham. Researching the captions was a pile of fun. It's jumped way up my list of places to play when travel resumes.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 03:21:53 AM »
A few more Whins pics. from Cruden Bays twitter feed:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back