News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bernie Bell

RTJ -- Cacapon State Park, WV (1973)
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »
There are very few remarks here about this course, and none are recent.  Has anyone played recently? 

Greg Tallman

Re: RTJ -- Cacapon State Park, WV (1973)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 07:01:09 PM »
Have not played in many a moon but played it quite a bit back in the day. Always thought it was perhaps the most underrated course in West Virginia.

Great terrain and perhaps only one or two blandish holes.

Brian Ross

Re: RTJ -- Cacapon State Park, WV (1973)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
Bernie,

I walked Cacapon back in August. The WV DNR had released a RFP for Drainage Improvements at the course and I responded. I was a finalist and interviewed for the project but then never heard from them again, despite reaching back out multiple times. I found out later that they had hired a local civil engineering firm to do the work.

It's a beautiful property with the front nine on the lower end of the property and the back nine zig-zagging back and forth up the mountain before falling quickly back downhill on the Par 3 15th. I would say the golf course is on the tamer end of the RTJ portfolio (at least of what I've seen) though there is still plenty of trouble to get into along the edges. The course was in decent condition but the bunkers seem to have lost a lot of their original depth. There was also some obvious signs of shrinkage on some of the greens.

The state was also in the process of completing a major renovation/addition on the Lodge building when I was there that was going to double the occupancy at the resort. That project is probably nearing completion now, I'd imagine.

Here are a few photos:

The double green for Holes 4 & 8. Both par 3's with bunkers front left and back right but one playing east and one playing west.

From the fairway on the long par-4 7th.

The steeply downhill Par-3 15th Hole. From studying old aerials, the original green used to extend all the way over to the left edge of the back-left bunker.

The Par-3 17th
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back