News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Removing Scrub Trees from Golf Courses.
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:20:24 AM »
I took a stroll around Cavendish last night and was stopped in my tracks by this view from the 10th fairway to my left up the short 13th hole. The removal of a few birch trees has revealed a previously unseen tantalising glimpse of a hole yet to be played. IMG_3291 (3) by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr
Meanwhile, from exactly the same spot, this is the view of the 12th green and back along the hole towards the tee...

...or rather, it isn't!
IMG_3293 by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr
Was there ever a better illustration of the desirability of removing extraneous trees from golf courses?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:44:04 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Removing Scrub Trees from Golf Courses.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:53:59 AM »
Nice to see. Scrub and the like doesn't half mess-up drainage as well, and thus effect playability etc etc. There are these days some terrific ride-on machines available for doing this kind of clearance work. They look great fun to use as well! Run one over a patch of ground every now and then and the self-seeders that if left unchecked grow into scrub or one day large trees never have a chance to grow. Pre-emptive maintenance I think some call it.
atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:05:15 AM »
I'm unashamedly low-tech.

I've just ordered me one of these Japanese beauties.  8) 

Silky by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:06:49 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:44:19 AM »
BUT

Sometimes using the scrub to hold off the reveal is much preferred.

Imagine if you could see the 4th hole at Bethpage Black from the 3rd tee. That would be decidedly worse because you would get your first view of the bunker before "turning the corner" after playing out at #3 green.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »
BUT

Imagine if you could see the 4th hole at Bethpage Black from the 3rd tee. That would be decidedly worse because you would get your first view of the bunker before "turning the corner" after playing out at #3 green.

Perfectly stated...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »
I'm unashamedly low-tech.
I've just ordered me one of these Japanese beauties.  8) 

Silky by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

Nice to see someone using blades rather than cavity backs! :)
My real preference though is for - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBHPT293MI - :) :) :) :) :) :)
Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
BUT

Sometimes...

JESII

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 08:38:39 AM »
I guess in the land of opinion and personal preference there's no room for stating something as fact...so in that light I'll simply say I cannot imagine a single example of scrub growth growing to maturity helping a hole or a course in any way.

I don't know the Black Course well enough to comment on the suspense Kyle references but a distant full view of a hole to be played or already played is enjoyable to me every time.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:18 AM »
I don't know the Black Course well enough to comment on the suspense Kyle references but a distant full view of a hole to be played or already played is enjoyable to me every time.
Quite.  And the sight earlier in a round of an imposing hazard yet to be encountered adds to, rather than detracts from, the thrill. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
It depends on what you're going for.

At Pacific Dunes, when you get to #3 green, you get to see the ocean (and #13, and Five Mile Point), all of which is great.  But the full reveal comes after the halfway house, when you walk around the corner to #4 tee, and suddenly and unexpectedly you are right there ON THE OCEAN.  The power of such moments should not be underestimated -- and I think it has an impact on how people play #4, as well.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
It depends on what you're going for.

At Pacific Dunes, when you get to #3 green, you get to see the ocean (and #13, and Five Mile Point), all of which is great.  But the full reveal comes after the halfway house, when you walk around the corner to #4 tee, and suddenly and unexpectedly you are right there ON THE OCEAN.  The power of such moments should not be underestimated -- and I think it has an impact on how people play #4, as well.
When I was playing there at the 4th tee I instinctively played left with many a pick up "X".  Eventually I realized that as close as possible to the ocean was the best way to play the hole.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 03:28:43 AM »

Duncan,

by far the best way is to pull the saplings out of the ground as they appear. This can be done quickly and cheaply by a few members with guidance from the greenkeeping crew.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 03:59:40 AM »

Duncan,

by far the best way is to pull the saplings out of the ground as they appear. This can be done quickly and cheaply by a few members with guidance from the greenkeeping crew.

Clearly, and going forward that will hopefully happen.

What we have though, is a problem 20 odd years in the making. Not only were thousands of trees planted in the 1980s and 90s, self seeding saplings were not kept in check leading to areas of scrub developing where once there was only moorland grass and some heather. The scrub has in many cases become areas of young woodland.

Older members of course, were the ones who spent many hours planting silver birch saplings in their 40s and 50s thinking that they were improving the course. Not all of them take kindly to guys now in their 40s and 50s advocating mass tree removal.

I'm sure a similar story is being played out at clubs across the world!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 04:57:58 AM »
I like pockets of scrub and trees, we actively encourage it.

My view is, we are sharing the land with animals and nature, they love these little pockets. I am sure the birds, insects, rabbits, hares, deer love the land we share with them. They are safe too.

What I am not so keen on is where committees have planted every space with lines of trees so the holes start to look to similar.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Silver Birch are 10/10 for me, but like all things you need variety so a golf course with a solitary specie would not be so good for me.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
I like the look of the scrub pine found on many of the Central Oregon courses.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

Duncan,

Clearly, and going forward that will hopefully happen.

What we have though, is a problem 20 odd years in the making.

Weetabix Duncan  ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
How exactly does one define a "scrub" vs. a "specimen" or whatever other terms would be proper?

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
How exactly does one define a "scrub" vs. a "specimen" or whatever other terms would be proper?

May as well ask how long is a piece of string.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Pete_Pittock

Re: Removing Scrub Trees from Golf Courses. New
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »
I wouldn't call the trees in the midpoint of K Braley's pictures scrub trees. The area is a desert and jackpines are primary vegetation.
But if you look at the trees 30-40 miles west of the picture then Kalen would have a slightly more valid point.

The "scrub" forest between the 14th/15th and 15th/16th at Cypress Point is a great set-up for the upcoming view.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:03:52 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »
Specimen trees are just trees which people think are good looking.... no? For some that may mean trees are indeginous to the area, or maybe oddly shaped or simply pretty. However, for the interest of a specimen to shine, it usually needs to stand alone or be near other trees which enhance its beauty. The concept doesn't work as a forest of specimen trees.

Ciao

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 08:08:48 AM »
The concept doesn't work as a forest of specimen trees.

To my mind the pines at Formby work as a forest of specimen trees

Formby-0821_350x305_acf_cropped by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The reason they work is because the club has made sure that they are not obscured by scrub trees or their majesty compromised by an untidy understory.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:11:19 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »
Quite.  And the sight earlier in a round of an imposing hazard yet to be encountered adds to, rather than detracts from, the thrill.

this.
and often an upcoming blind hole or shot "isn't" if one was paying attention. Back in the day players would note pin positions as they passed upcoming holes, even on familiar coures.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

Re: Removing Scrub Trees from Golf Courses. New
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
The concept doesn't work as a forest of specimen trees.

To my mind the pines at Formby work as a forest of specimen trees

Formby-0821_350x305_acf_cropped by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The reason they work is because the club has made sure that they are not obscured by scrub trees or their majesty compromised by an untidy understory.

I would rather have a better view to the sea on this hole. Views of trees are everywhere at Formby. Besides, which is the specimen tree? You can't see THE tree for the forest .

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:37:14 AM by Sean_A »

John Emerson

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
At some point in history these "scrub trees" were tiny saplings.  This is why mowing native areas once or twice a year is paramount if you want to keep those "weeds" out.  This way they never have a chance to grow and later block views, sun etc..
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back