News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

a Place to stand in awe
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »
“What a lovely palace to die,” said Henry Longhurst when he arrived at the 18th hole on the Mahoney’s Point course at the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. I thought about that line when I stood on the tee at that par three overlooking Loch Leanie and McGillicuddy Reeks. It was true It was a stunning place to spend your last few moments.
But as lovely as it was there were places that meant more and were just as lovely. They were places I could spend eternity.
Like the view overlooking 18 and 9 at my beloved Musgrove Mill

Or overlooking 17 green at my new love-- Ballyhack.

J.H. Taylor spend the last years of his life at Westward Ho! As he looked from the clubhouse over the course he exclaimed, "There is no lovier view in all Christendom." 
There are some places that are so beautiful or meaningful that we merely stand quietly in awe.

Got those special places?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:42:36 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

Re: “What a lovely place to die.”
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
Two places that you already love, Tommy -- and I suppose they'll be so special in eternity precisely because you've loved them here first.
I'd better get busy finding golf courses to fall in love with! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:23:38 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Bernie Bell

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
Or maybe Arapahoe Basin

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »

A bit OT, but my former Dallas Stars season ticket partner sadly died of cancer some time back and had requested his ashes be spread at his home course, which refused the request.  A few of us went out on a Monday in winter when the course was closed and no one was there and did it anyway. 

I have been asked if I want my ashes spread on one of my courses, but I figure at that point, I really won't care.  I have wondered if a more famous architect did that, would his other courses feel slighted?  Would he/she have to divvy up the ashes?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »

A bit OT, but my former Dallas Stars season ticket partner sadly died of cancer some time back and had requested his ashes be spread at his home course, which refused the request.  A few of us went out on a Monday in winter when the course was closed and no one was there and did it anyway. 

I have been asked if I want my ashes spread on one of my courses, but I figure at that point, I really won't care.  I have wondered if a more famous architect did that, would his other courses feel slighted?  Would he/she have to divvy up the ashes?

One of my very good friends at Musgrove Mill wanted his ashes shot from a cannon on the fifth tee when he died. He tragically died in a horrific auto accident. I wasn't able to be there to officiate but his wishes were carried out.
St. John of the Cross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
Tranquility ain’t what it used to be. I wonder if I'll ever go to another World Series and if they’d stop the game if I died.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51:56 PM »
Instead of places on golf courses I love practice areas. Either chipping green at Lakewood or the range at the Broadmoar come to mind. I think the alone time relaxing and chipping is the way I would want to spend my last day in golf. That short game area in St. Andrews would be fine as well.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »
It'd the Monterey Peninsula for me.  Been there many, many times, and always magical each time. 

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 12:46:09 PM »
Mix me in the container of divot mix and fill a few holes at my favorite course.  No one will be the wiser.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
I can’t believe that this thread doesn’t have more replies considering most of us think about dying upwards of a dozen times each day. Please change the title to something more uplifting like “what a lovely place to take a hot steaming dump”. We all have stories.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »
I can’t believe that this thread doesn’t have more replies considering most of us think about dying upwards of a dozen times each day. Please change the title to something more uplifting like “what a lovely place to take a hot steaming dump”. We all have stories.

I thought about changing it too.
St. John of the Cross

John Kavanaugh

Re: a Place to stand in awe
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 09:51:14 PM »
Thanks, death can be all consuming if you let it eat at you.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »
Isn’t there a company that will compress ashes into a golf ball so a loved one can drive you into eternity?  I had visions of that being me and someone punting me down a Dornoch fairway but my kids don’t golf...now what? 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
or here
St. John of the Cross

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
One of my favorite aspects of Pacific Dunes, Cape Kidnappers, and Barnbougle Dunes is that each of them has one long green-to-tee walk that just happens to be at the most beautiful place on the golf course.  That wasn't really deliberate on my part -- it was just serendipity that it was hard to fit holes together in those places, and then it was easy to see that no one would mind the interruption.

At Pacific Dunes, it's the walk from 3 green to 4 tee, which had to be long because of the proximity of 12 green.  It's also the first place you touch the ocean.  One of the players at the women's public links championship said the first time she came around that corner, she cried, because it was so beautiful and she didn't expect it.

At Cape Kidnappers, it's the walk from 15 green to 16 tee.  I hadn't planned on putting a tee back there at all, but Julian Robertson kept pushing us to make the course longer to host a potential event, so I threw out the idea of a back tee there.  His wife, Josie, came out to look at it, and said it was the most beautiful spot on the course, and she thought we should convert it to a par-5 and put ALL the tees back there.  It was a lot of work to get the fairway on 16 back to where ladies can reach it from that tee, but it was worth it so that everyone would take that narrow foot path along the edge of the cliffs, where the seagulls teach their young to fly every spring.

At Barnbougle, it's the walk from 4 to 5, past Reg's Hut.  It's right up on the crest of the dunes, and there are often wallabies there in the morning and evening, and again, it's the first place you touch the ocean after four holes on lower ground.  The strip of dunes is so narrow at that point, there was no way to have parallel holes all the way back to 4 green, so you walk forward to 5 tee to get out of the line of fire for aggressive drives on 4.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 11:50:49 AM »
I do need to get to Australia and New Zealand again. There are a bunch of courses I have yet to play.
St. John of the Cross

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
On a sunny day, there's a point as you drive along the track to Crail where you crest the hill and the links are revealed in front of you, with a view over both courses and past, to the beach and the sea.  It's not possible to pass that point without your heart starting to sing.

Coming off the 2nd green on to the third tee at Elie.

Walking through the gate at Muirfield.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
I do need to get to Australia and New Zealand again. There are a bunch of courses I have yet to play.

If you're thinking of going to NZ, you'd better plan a long trip of it.  Reports are that they will enforce a two-week quarantine on all international arrivals, until there is a foolproof test for coronavirus, or possibly until there's a vaccine.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »

At Barnbougle, it's the walk from 4 to 5, past Reg's Hut.  It's right up on the crest of the dunes, and there are often wallabies there in the morning and evening, and again, it's the first place you touch the ocean after four holes on lower ground.  The strip of dunes is so narrow at that point, there was no way to have parallel holes all the way back to 4 green, so you walk forward to 5 tee to get out of the line of fire for aggressive drives on 4.

Yup, a pretty spectacular place.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »
A view from behind the 18th green at Shinnecock Hills

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 03:45:16 PM »

6th tee Royal North Devon GC, aka Westward Ho!
:)
atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »
A view from behind the 18th green at Shinnecock Hills

I remember reading that when Henry Longhurst (I think it was he) first played number two at Pine Valley, he stood on the tee and exclaimed, "I don't know whether to take a picture of it or play it." Same said for this spot. Sometimes we polay in such stunning places that we want to drink in the beauty of the spot before we carry on.
St. John of the Cross

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
So said Henry Longhurst when he arrived at the 18th hole on the Mahoney’s Point course at the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. I thought about that line when I stood on the tee at that par three overlooking Loch Leanie and McGillicuddy Reeks. It was true It was a stunning place to spend your last few moments.
But as lovely as it was there were places that meant more and were just as lovely. They were places I could spend eternity.
Like the view overlooking 18 and 9 at my beloved Musgrove Mill

Or overlooking 17 green at my new love-- Ballyhack.

J.H. Taylor spend the last years of his life at Westward Ho! As he looked from the clubhouse over the course he exclaimed, "There is no lovier view in all Christendom." 

Got those special places?

Tommy I have been blessed to be out at The Mill twice in the last 5 days.  The greens are "Musgrove Good" right now, and you know what that means!  They are as good any any greens I have played anywhere at anytime.   They missed the spring aeration because of the flooding so they have that early fall firmness to them too.  Very hard to hit it close on some hole locations...  When the pandemic clears come on down. 

We are still not allowing guests but we recently went from max of 3 players (in separate carts) back to 4 comes allowed.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Steve Sayre

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »
A nice lift to contemplate these beautiful photos. Thomas, your Westward Ho! shot is destined to be my new screen wallpaper --- with your permission of course.

Keep them coming...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back